C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Track Driving Mode and PTM Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 11:18 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default Track Driving Mode and PTM Question

As is known there are 5 driving modes: Weather, Eco, Tour, Sport and Track.

I've been unable to determine what settings the car is operating under if I set Driving Mode to Track but DO NOT enter any of the PTM modes. In other words, I set the dial to Track but don't double push the center button to enter any of the 5 available PTM modes (i.e., Wet, Dry, Sport 1, Sport 2 and Track).

Basically, what are the TCS, ESC, MRC, Steering, eLSD and LC operational parameters/settings when in Track mode but not any of the 5 PTM Modes?

TIA

Rick
Old 08-25-2015, 11:26 PM
ser2fast
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Manual has some good stuff in it.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:38 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

I knew I'd get a smart *** answer about the info in the Manual. Didn't think it would come from a "Junior" one month member.

I'm a read the manual ****. I've read the complete manual 3 times, cover to cover. I've read certain sections many times more than this. The above "response" doesn't address the question asked. The Manual doesn't answer the question I'm asking. Neither does Tadge's sticky which does give good info once you're IN one of the 5 PTM modes.

The Track column in the Table above shows the many different operational parameters available WHEN IN one of the 5 PTM modes. It doesn't show the operational parameters when in "Track" but none of the 5 PTM modes.

For instance, the Track column above shows:
- ESC as "Comp Mode Avail"
- eLSD as "Modes 2 or 3"
- Launch Control as "Available"
- PTM as "Available"

Hoping somebody knows the answer to my question?

Last edited by rikhek; 08-25-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:42 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Does this help?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rack-mode.html

S.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:48 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Snorman
Snorman thanks but that doesn't answer the question. That ask Tadge response does a decent job of explaining what operational parameters the car is operating under once you actually enter one of the 5 PTM modes. I want to know what the car is doing when in Track mode without double pushing the button to enter one of the 5 PTM modes.

Specific parameters I'm trying to determine are TCS, ESC, MRC, Steering, eLSD and LC operational parameters/settings when in Track mode but not any of the 5 PTM Modes?

Last edited by rikhek; 08-25-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:30 AM
ser2fast
Instructor

Originally Posted by rikhek
I knew I'd get a smart *** answer about the info in the Manual. Didn't think it would come from a "Junior" one month member.

I'm a read the manual ****. I've read the complete manual 3 times, cover to cover. I've read certain sections many times more than this. The above "response" doesn't address the question asked. The Manual doesn't answer the question I'm asking. Neither does Tadge's sticky which does give good info once you're IN one of the 5 PTM modes.

The Track column in the Table above shows the many different operational parameters available WHEN IN one of the 5 PTM modes. It doesn't show the operational parameters when in "Track" but none of the 5 PTM modes.

For instance, the Track column above shows:
- ESC as "Comp Mode Avail"
- eLSD as "Modes 2 or 3"
- Launch Control as "Available"
- PTM as "Available"

Hoping somebody knows the answer to my question?
Well, it wasn't my intention to be a smart ***. Did I ask you to refer to your manual, or did I jump into the pdf of the manual, take a snapshot and post it in the hopes that it might help?

If you assumed you would get that response, why not include the fact that you've read the manual and it's still unclear......
Old 08-26-2015, 05:24 AM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

I think it's clear in the first chart that was shared and in conjunction with a chart from the Ask Tadge thread.

Stabilitrak = normal unless in PTM

eLSD = operating in modes 2 and 3 just like Sport setting. I'm guessing that is explained in the manual under eLSD, but I don't have in front of me.

Launch control = available, and using standard parameters unless in PTM Race setting

PTM = available only when in Track mode
Old 08-26-2015, 10:17 AM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

That's the second time in two days that a non-junior member attempts to ridicule a "junior" member, just because they are a junior member. What kind of crap is that? Length of time belonging to a forum is an indicator of.......NOTHING.

I have been a member of lots of forums....we might occasionally razz people about silly "first posts," but "seniority" is in the substance, not the length of time as a member.

ser2fast's post might not have been what you were looking for, but it seemed to me to be an attempt to be helpful in any event. Doesn't matter if he joined yesterday, or back when the C1 went on sale in 1776 and Thomas Jefferson had just invented the internet.
The following users liked this post:
Don&Kelly (05-18-2017)
Old 08-26-2015, 11:17 AM
Dabigsnake
Pro

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I totally understand your question, and would also like an answer. Seems "available" tells us nothing. We want to know just what is active when in Track mode without double clicking to get to the other Track modes. It allows that selection, so? It's not just a branch to the other modes.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:56 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dabigsnake
I totally understand your question, and would also like an answer. Seems "available" tells us nothing. We want to know just what is active when in Track mode without double clicking to get to the other Track modes. It allows that selection, so? It's not just a branch to the other modes.
Thank you. I'm hoping someone can actually answer the question FACTUALLY instead of "guessing" or reading between the lines of what they think some tables say.
Old 08-26-2015, 01:07 PM
beadman
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you. I'm hoping someone can actually answer the question FACTUALLY instead of "guessing" or reading between the lines of what they think some tables say.
I also would like to know the answer to the original question.

Could it be a track mode with all the nannies on?
Old 08-26-2015, 04:39 PM
RS4EVA
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm not sure why I'm bother to help since your responses have been dickish to say the least. But maybe others will benefit.

BTW, it's not guessing, it's called extrapolating.
definition of EXTRAPOLATE
formal
: to form an opinion or to make an estimate about something from known facts

By comparing the two tables we can figure out the following about Track Mode w/no PTM

Stabilitrak: "On" or "Normal". When PTM is engaged, Comp mode is available in Sport 1&2 only. In Race it is "Off"

Traction Control: Track

Magnetic Ride Control: Track (note this is less aggressive than PTM Dry)

eLSD: Mode 2, or Mode 3 when in PTM - see below for detailed explanation

Steering: Track (note this is less aggressive than PTM Dry)

Exhaust: Track

Throttle progression: Sport

PTM: Is only available in Track Mode. Not accessible in Weather, Eco, Tour or Sport

Launch Control: Is only available in Track Mode with PTM active (wet,dry,sport1,sport2, or race)

The only item I have not been able to conclude is how much actual HP/TQ does Track mode give you, and how much does each PTM setting add. The manual makes no distinction between Track and Track - Dry

You're welcome!

A smart electronic limited-slip differential (eLSD) is included in the Z51 Performance Package and continuously makes the most of the torque split between the rear wheels. The system features a hydraulically actuated clutch that can infinitely vary clutch engagement and can respond from open to full engagement in tenths of a second. It shifts torque based on a unique algorithm which factors in vehicle speed, steering input and throttle position to improve steering feel, handling balance and traction.

The eLSD is fully integrated with StabiliTrak and Performance Traction Management systems. Its calibrations vary among three modes, based on the Drive Mode Selector setting:

Mode 1 is the default setting for normal driving and emphasizes vehicle stability
Mode 2 is engaged when electronic stability control is turned off in the Sport or Track Driver Modes. This calibration enables more nimble turn-in and traction while accelerating out of a corner
Mode 3 is automatically selected when Performance Traction Management is engaged. This calibration has the same function as Mode 2, but is fine-tuned to work with Performance Traction Management.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:23 PM
ser2fast
Instructor

Especially the first paragraph...
Old 03-20-2016, 11:34 PM
MDMason
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still no definitive answer, amazing! One can only conclude, no one knows.
Old 03-21-2016, 08:16 AM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

The question has been answered properly several times in this thread.

As the chart shows while in track mode (from dial turn only) the steering, exhaust, suspension, and throttle response are whats changed. As the chart shows (available) those items are only effected in PTM mode.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:44 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MDMason
Still no definitive answer, amazing! One can only conclude, no one knows.
It was answered last year.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rack-mode.html

Nowhere, on any car forum, have I ever seen the Chief Engineer answer questions in such detail regarding things like this. So it's pretty ridiculous to act as if GM is trying to keep some sort of secret (even though how they design and tune the chassis control systems is their own proprietary info).
It's like complaining because Coke doesn't list the recipe on the can.
S.
Old 03-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Outside of some ocd, why not just be in PTM sport 1/2/race when you're the track?

Get notified of new replies

To Track Driving Mode and PTM Question

Old 03-21-2016, 12:23 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

When it says that in the basic Track dial setting PTM is "Available", does that mean with some further setting or on demand? Can you just turn the dial to Track, hit the apex, plant the throttle, and watch the car do it's magic?

I don't think I want to try it, but wouldn't that mean you could hit the apex of an onramp and just plant it? Not sure I have the stones to try that without being certain, as when it goes bad, it could go very bad!
Old 03-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
When it says that in the basic Track dial setting PTM is "Available", does that mean with some further setting or on demand? Can you just turn the dial to Track, hit the apex, plant the throttle, and watch the car do it's magic?

I don't think I want to try it, but wouldn't that mean you could hit the apex of an onramp and just plant it? Not sure I have the stones to try that without being certain, as when it goes bad, it could go very bad!
No. If you do that the TC and Stabilitrak will intervene pretty aggressively.
If you run the car in one of the various PTM modes, you can go WOT off the apex (or even before fully unwound) and the car will give as much power as it can without breaking traction. The exhaust will get a very distinct tone when this happens.
S.
Old 03-21-2016, 12:32 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
No. If you do that the TC and Stabilitrak will intervene pretty aggressively.
If you run the car in one of the various PTM modes, you can go WOT off the apex (or even before fully unwound) and the car will give as much power as it can without breaking traction. The exhaust will get a very distinct tone when this happens.
S.
So to get PTM, then, just the Track dial is NOT sufficient (misleading to say PTM is available then). Do I need to go to one of the submodes?

Quick Reply: Track Driving Mode and PTM Question