C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

CFZ front valence damage-dealer

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 06:59 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Default CFZ front valence damage-dealer

Last week when I had my Z06/7 at the dealer, they were unable to reproduce a problem that I had reported. I had explained to the service writer that if that were the case on any reported issues; please call me and I will demonstrate to the tech.

The tech proceeded to drive the car away from the dealership and dragged the CFZ valence coming out of his driveway. When I asked him why he did not approach from an angle, he said the car was made to withstand the impact.

Not satisfied, I had the service manager look at the damage. At first, maybe because of his size, he did not want to get down on his knees to inspect. Reluctantly, when I volunteered to do this for him, he struggled to his knees. After much grunting, I helped him up. He said is was damaged, but that most of the scrapes were old.

I made him write down the damage on my service receipt and went to their body shop of choice. The owner said that there is no GM approved procedure to repair cracked carbon fiber and that it would have to be replaced.

When the body shop owner talked to the service manager, he refused to replace the valence due to cost. He did say that he would repair it, but it the repair would not be covered by the GM warranty.

I argued with the service manger to no avail, finally deciding to have the repair done. The body shop owner said that I would not be able to see the repair unless I looked underneath.

I know that I can take them to small claims and complain to GM, especially since I just received the service satisfaction email. Any actions on my part will involve a lot of time and I want to drive the car now and not have it look like it was in a wreck.

What else would you do?
Old 09-06-2015, 09:03 PM
apex97
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Tough call, if the damage was just under the splitter and not structural, I would document it but not take my car there any longer...maybe write a letter to owner and GM customer care about it. This is one of those deals that takes up more time and frustration than its worth to escalate.

If its a major crack in the part that is going to spread, then I'd demand a new part. Period.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:52 PM
ser2fast
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Personal auto insurance claim? I intentionally lowered my deductible as I figured it's not if, but when I damage my CFZ front splitter.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just walk away. It's not worth it. Trust me. Dealer chipped my ceramic rotor and messed up my front splitter. I don't have time for small claims court. You may want to try but at this point they've somewhat tried to make things rite which is more than most dealers would do.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:00 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,681 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Catchmeifyoucansam
Just walk away. It's not worth it. Trust me. Dealer chipped my ceramic rotor and messed up my front splitter. I don't have time for small claims court. You may want to try but at this point they've somewhat tried to make things rite which is more than most dealers would do.
The moral of the story is to try and avoid dealerships whenever possible. Although many claim to have special Corvette techs, etc., even before work is performed, any tech can be driving the car to/from the service bay, etc. and after they get done driving your Corvette, they drive a Malibu or Impala. It becomes mundane.

Try to find a good Corvette-familiar performance shop that's used to treating these cars with the kid gloves that are sometimes required when being serviced. Some shops even perform warranty work if they are authorized.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:04 PM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Take it to the dealer only if you have a major issue(motor or trans blowing). Otherwise find a custom car building shop. That's the route I've gone. Been happy since. They're even working on custom making an oil cooler
Old 09-07-2015, 06:59 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I realize that it may be better to take the Z to a custom specialty shop, except that is in warranty. Once the warranty expires, I would not expect to take it a Chevy dealership.

My A8 slams into first after stopping and then taking off. There is delay B4 it finally slams into first, which is the reason I took it to the dealer. They said no problem found and installed a "fast learn" program from a TSB. As expected, the problem was not fixed.

Had I taken it to a trans shop, they would not necessarily have been more careful, and would not have the factory at their disposal.

I plan to take it to another dealer, much further away, but recommended by my club, as well as give the first dealer a poor rating on the survey.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Catchmeifyoucansam
Racer

Originally Posted by CONMAX
I realize that it may be better to take the Z to a custom specialty shop, except that is in warranty. Once the warranty expires, I would not expect to take it a Chevy dealership.

My A8 slams into first after stopping and then taking off. There is delay B4 it finally slams into first, which is the reason I took it to the dealer. They said no problem found and installed a "fast learn" program from a TSB. As expected, the problem was not fixed.

Had I taken it to a trans shop, they would not necessarily have been more careful, and would not have the factory at their disposal.

I plan to take it to another dealer, much further away, but recommended by my club, as well as give the first dealer a poor rating on the survey.

I've taken mine in for every problem you can think of at this point and not once have they had a fix. I call before to see if there's a documented fix from gm in their system. I don't bother If there's no fix. I used to take the car in so gm would recognize the problem but they don't seem to do anything. In the end, it's cheaper to take it else where because the dealer has damaged my car every time. The cost of leaving the car in dealers hands out weighs taking it somewhere else. I've just excepted that costs will be more if I want to own a American car. Anyways, good luck with your car. Hope it all works out man. I've had attorneys involved just so they don't walk on anyone in the future and eventually just let it go. Not worth it

Get notified of new replies

To CFZ front valence damage-dealer

Quick Reply: CFZ front valence damage-dealer