C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z07 brake--Are your nipples leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 07:52 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

bishman that blows. but sounds like a high chance of getting metal in the brake line it doing drilling. be careful i had a problem with metal from a caliper getting into the fluid and it ruined the whole ABS control module. thankfully was under warranty
Old 09-13-2015, 10:03 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
bishman that blows. but sounds like a high chance of getting metal in the brake line it doing drilling. be careful i had a problem with metal from a caliper getting into the fluid and it ruined the whole ABS control module. thankfully was under warranty
Yes, good point and correction. I was thinking the caliper would be off the vehicle and available for cleaning.
Old 09-13-2015, 11:13 PM
davester
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 98 Posts

I too am sorry to hear about your troubles Bish. Will you be able to make it to the Kansas Speedway HPDE event on 26th? Since it will be my first track event before the end of the year (unless I can sneak in another one at MAM) I will go with the original stock brake fluid). Hate to replace with the SRF for just one possibly two events before having to drain and refill for Spring events. In any case I will carefully inspect my nipps during the event while using the stock fluid and factory nipp torque and let you know if they too leak.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 419 Likes on 273 Posts

Sorry to hear about your issues Bish!

There was another thread about this issue last year in the C7 tech sub-forum. One of our Spiegler Stainless Steel brake line customers had his calipers replaced under warranty because they were leaking after tracking his car. GM blamed it on our brake lines, which obviously wasn't the case (and the customer knew that as well). I don't know if the customer ever had any problems with his new calipers or not.

Do any of you guys have pictures of the seats where the bleed screw reside? I'd like to get a peek at what those threads and the seat looks like. Based on all of this feedback, it sure sounds like there just isn't a great seal. It's really tough to speculate on what could be causing the issue without physically seeing the calipers.

Our recommended torque value for the bleed screws on our AP Racing calipers is 150 inch lbs. Over-tightening can lead to bad things...which it sounds like Bish unfortunately discoverd.

We don't normally handle other brands of products, but I'll see if maybe our techs and engineers could take a look at your caliper and Macgyver something for you Bish. Let me know if it's off the car, how long you can be without it, etc. Thanks.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:06 AM
EdwardETraylorIII
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Leaky nipples are never good!
Old 09-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Do any of you guys have pictures of the seats where the bleed screw reside? I'd like to get a peek at what those threads and the seat looks like. Based on all of this feedback, it sure sounds like there just isn't a great seal. It's really tough to speculate on what could be causing the issue without physically seeing the calipers.
Guess what the UPS man just delivered? Brake ****!

Once I get the stock calipers off I'll remove one of the bleeders and shoot you some pictures.

Last edited by Poor-sha; 09-14-2015 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2015, 03:13 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 419 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Guess what the UPS man just delivered? Brake ****!

Once I get the stock calipers off I'll remove one of the bleeders and shoot you some pictures.
Sweet. Enjoy those bad boys, and thank you!
Old 09-14-2015, 06:40 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 738 Likes on 484 Posts

Gotta love those J-Hooks! They were awesome on my GT-R thanks to Jeff.

I am going to attempt to drill that bloody broken off bleed nipple out tomorrow. Chances of success are slim. My local dealer said they don't even bother, they just replace the caliper., so I might be doing that myself soon! lol. Bloody thing is expensive though.

Bish
Old 09-14-2015, 08:08 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

i tried drilling out out myself before and it didnt go good on an old ap caliper. mine was old as the hills hope you have some luck. new brakes look awesome Sean did you get a rear setup also?
Old 09-14-2015, 10:28 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,405 Likes on 1,374 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
i tried drilling out out myself before and it didnt go good on an old ap caliper. mine was old as the hills hope you have some luck. new brakes look awesome Sean did you get a rear setup also?
There isn't a matching AP rear setup yet. Because I couldn't bear to have yellow rear calipers and the dark gray AP fronts I ended up buying another set of OEM rear calipers in black. At least my yellow calipers will stay pretty for when I sell the car.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:34 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Well I tried drilling into the sheared off nipple with a set of tools guaranteed to work from the helpful person at my local Home Depot. It didn't make a dent, both literally and figuratively. So I removed the caliper, which is dead easy btw, and took it to a local automotive machine shop. I was given little chance of them being able to get the broken off piece out of the caliper without damaging the seat, but WTH I'll let them try before I spend about $750 for the caliper from Patrick at Cultrag. MSRP on these babies is $1200 according to my local Chevy dealer!! Damn!

Quick ?: anyone know of a way to stop the brake fluid dripping from the hard brake fluid line whilst I'm waiting for the caliper?

TIA,
Bish
Old 09-16-2015, 07:56 AM
rsalco
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quick ?: anyone know of a way to stop the brake fluid dripping from the hard brake fluid line whilst I'm waiting for the caliper?

TIA,
Bish[/QUOTE]

Rubber vacuum line cap; they come in sets of various sizes. I think I got one at Pep Boys, mebbe NAPA....
Old 09-16-2015, 08:19 AM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Bish, someone on the for sale section is trying to sell low-mile Z07 calipers. If you end up needing them, you may want to shoot them an offer.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:03 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

So luckily the machine shop was able to drill out the snapped off valve. $25 beats buying a new caliper any day. lol. I am buying brand new bleed valves and am replacing them at all four calipers as I did over tighten these previously I'm sure. Btw there are two bleed valves and new boots to each kit.

Moral of the story: don't over tighten these bastards, and do expect to see some potential seeping at the calipers especially if you are hard on the brakes on track.

Bish

Quick Reply: Z07 brake--Are your nipples leaking?