C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Build Quality Showdown: Corvette Z06 vs Porsche GT3

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 03:19 PM
thegeneral101
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Build Quality Showdown: Corvette Z06 vs Porsche GT3

I was having a conversation today in light of Volkswagen's recent news, and a colleague said that he's never driven anything with better build quality than a porsche. I personally haven't been in many Porsches, but my perception is that he's correct.

Perhaps you can arm me with some items as to why the Z06 does have better "build quality" than the GT3. Even things like the magnetic suspension and exhaust valves I think differentiate the Z06, but I'd love to hear others. Not trying to start a war here, both are awesome cars.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:24 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Build quality is different then ride quality and driver experience. As far as build quality I think the gt3 would be far better than the GM as the build quality of my Z is not on par with the 100k price tag. If you want to discuss features that make the Z better on the track than the GT3 - that's different and may be debatable
Old 09-28-2015, 03:30 PM
Tripleblk6spd
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmdohcpower
Build quality is different then ride quality and driver experience. As far as build quality I think the gt3 would be far better than the GM as the build quality of my Z is not on par with the 100k price tag. If you want to discuss features that make the Z better on the track than the GT3 - that's different and may be debatable
First you would need to define what "build quality" is....and there is alot more to a car than the interior when considering this. There is A LOT about the Porsche (atleast the 911's that I have experience with) that is REALLY good in the build quality over all (body lines, suspension, brakes, engine, interior, etc....) but it is NOT perfect by any means. You have to remember especially when considering the 911 that they have had a LONG time to refine the crap out of that car...it hasn't really changed in what....over 50 years? Hard to compete with a car with that much time under it's belt AND that cost sooo much. I would love see the accounting on how much they got paid back for the development on that car. LOL
Old 09-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Busa Dave
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 107 Posts

My Z06 is a performance car that looks bad azz! Inside far from perfect with squeaks and even a rattle especially when the car is heat soaked from being outside, had loose wiring sitting against the exhaust that I just happen to catch when replacing exhaust, also hole in the existing exhaust that had to be welded up. Not even close in build quality to the German boys. Still my Z06 looks like a pissed off black panther sitting still gleaming in the sunlight. I love it. May just go and say screw it and turn it into a 800hp at the wheels beast. There is a big boy shop that does this between work and home (Blue Mound Texas) that is very well known.

Funny thing is my 2014 new style Sierra 4wd 6.2 DI Denali modified from stem to stern has not one I repeat NOT ONE flaw and has been off road quite a bit! Personally do not have much confidence in the BG GM Plant. They slap them together and run em out the other end.

That being said the wife wants to go look at a Stuttgart vehicle for her tonight. Do not know if I want to fight the traffic.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:42 PM
thegeneral101
Instructor

Yeah, I should leave out the features. I think he's probably right, that the GT3 quality is better. Better panel fitment, interiors, etc. Hard to quantify with the price difference, but generally those Porsches are nice. Although the Z06 has come a long way.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:56 PM
four0nefive
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 236 Posts

Porsche's build quality is definitely better (interior, panel fit and finish, paint, etc.), but the Z06 definitely wins for build quality from a performance matter (Brembos, PS2's [Z07], A8 [in auto mode at least], suspension [MSRC], etc.). At the end of the day, both cars are great and I wouldn't mind owning either.
The following users liked this post:
Jaay2177 (10-10-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 07:42 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

For twice the price with similar performace, I would certainly hope that the GT3 offers something that justifies the extra $90,000. As Tripleblk says, the GT3 is the product of many years of incremental improvement, while the C7 Z06 is essentially a brand-new Corvette.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:13 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

If I could have the Corvette design, in all its concept purity, built by anyone it wouldn't be Porsche. It would be Honda. Honda is a company that has the robotics, infrastructure, overhead, and attention to detail that is to be looked up at.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:27 PM
thegeneral101
Instructor

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
If I could have the Corvette design, in all its concept purity, built by anyone it wouldn't be Porsche. It would be Honda. Honda is a company that has the robotics, infrastructure, overhead, and attention to detail that is to be looked up at.
That's really interesting. Do you have any info I could read on that? I would have never thought that, but I guess it makes sense - Honda builds incredibly reliable and tight cars.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:42 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thegeneral101
That's really interesting. Do you have any info I could read on that? I would have never thought that, but I guess it makes sense - Honda builds incredibly reliable and tight cars.
I try to watch every episode of mega factories. The Porsche factories have this autonmous transport system clever, ok, but I haven't seen much past that that's unusual to me. Honda's factories look like robot armies. No money spent just for the eye in there. GM uses some sort of tennis ball system to prevent parts from bumping into each other where factory people grab them and mount them.

The NSX was at least 10 years ahead of the competition in ABS, aluminum frame development, variable valve timing, engine bottom stiffnes, cylinder liner technolgoy, optimization, and so on.

The S2000 can do 50 racing hours between 7,000 rpm and 9,000 rpm before it needs a tune up. Who knows how many before it drops a valve. More than most production engines can do before anything at all would fail.

Another good sign of high technology is that they make a good deal of essential parts in house, and they are the best in class. Think smooth transmissions.

I also track pattents, news releases from manufacturers, and reliablity of these cars at the track.

I expect the new NSX will be superior to the Porsche 918 in many ways.
Z06Ronald (10-05-2015)
Old 09-28-2015, 08:55 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

I was having a conversation today in light of Volkswagen's recent news, and a colleague said that he's never driven anything with better build quality than a porsche. I personally haven't been in many Porsches, but my perception is that he's correct.

Perhaps you can arm me with some items as to why the Z06 does have better "build quality" than the GT3. Even things like the magnetic suspension and exhaust valves I think differentiate the Z06, but I'd love to hear others. Not trying to start a war here, both are awesome cars.

Perhaps you would be better served by another forum?
Old 09-28-2015, 09:39 PM
thegeneral101
Instructor

Originally Posted by BWFitz
Perhaps you would be better served by another forum?
Haha, perhaps. But I'll stay with my "less quality built" Z06.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:17 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Even if this is correct, and Porsche's execution of a design is one of the best, I will argue that Porsche's design is very simple. It's hard to go wrong, especially for so much asking $.

Consider that:
*front suspension geometry is a McPherson strut
*GT cars are all hard top
*all GT cars have low torque so the transmissions and clutches don't need high torque capacity
*Basic valved shocks
*mechanical LSD (GT4)

If Porsche were to offer a double wishbone suspension in the Cayman/911 like the 918/Corvette, magnetorheological shocks like the 488/Corvette, open top motoring like 918/Corvette, high torque like Viper/Corvette then maybe we could judge its quality more easily.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:16 AM
kverges
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a GT3 and did not buy it for build quality, at least not for things like fit, finish and materials. My old Z06 was fine and never gave me any trouble. I just wanted to try something new and had heard that the GT3 was great on track. I think the new Z is fantastic and if I wanted a street only GT car, I'd have one. I prefer the styling of the Z and what is not to love about the torque and power? It's not really a build quality issue, but the fundamental design of the GT3 does permit it to be run 10/10ths on track by a skilled and fast driver and the Z just won't do that continuously. That and the extra mass of the Z put me off, esp since it went up 300 lbs from my C6. Both are great cars and the "better" debate is silly and just breeds the vitriol that I predict this thread will devolve into, like so many others.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:29 AM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
I try to watch every episode of mega factories. The Porsche factories have this autonmous transport system clever, ok, but I haven't seen much past that that's unusual to me. Honda's factories look like robot armies. No money spent just for the eye in there. GM uses some sort of tennis ball system to prevent parts from bumping into each other where factory people grab them and mount them. The NSX was at least 10 years ahead of the competition in ABS, aluminum frame development, variable valve timing, engine bottom stiffnes, cylinder liner technolgoy, optimization, and so on. The S2000 can do 50 racing hours between 7,000 rpm and 9,000 rpm before it needs a tune up. Who knows how many before it drops a valve. More than most production engines can do before anything at all would fail. Another good sign of high technology is that they make a good deal of essential parts in house, and they are the best in class. Think smooth transmissions. I also track pattents, news releases from manufacturers, and reliablity of these cars at the track. I expect the new NSX will be superior to the Porsche 918 in many ways.
A fellow Honda guy!!! I can vouch for Hondas just as you say. The NSX and s2000 are incredible cars
(You may be able to notice the CBR back there also)

Name:  image-2240845610.jpg
Views: 1874
Size:  453.0 KB
Old 09-29-2015, 09:58 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

You are asking about build quality and then ask for product features. Very confusing. I think Porsche has more stringent quality control on their parts. GM just goes with lowest cost producer. I know some suppliers to GM and they always complain that GM tries to squeeze them for lower prices. It has gotten to the point where some suppliers will not even bid for contracts because they know eventually they will be making so little profit its not worth it to them. There are also some suppliers that will eliminate some check procedures to make the target price and we all know what happens with product quality when that happens. Also note that comparing a GT3 to a Z06 is like comparing an apple and an orange. Both are tasty but satisfy different cravings.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:16 AM
GraphicDisorder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive already had my car to the dealer for clicking noises, carbon roof issue (delamination), and paint issues. It has less that 5,000 miles. Quality is not what you'd think it should be. But it is fast... well as long as its not for very long haha.

Get notified of new replies

To Build Quality Showdown: Corvette Z06 vs Porsche GT3

Old 09-29-2015, 10:39 AM
GSIRM3
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tripleblk6spd
First you would need to define what "build quality" is....and there is alot more to a car than the interior when considering this. There is A LOT about the Porsche (atleast the 911's that I have experience with) that is REALLY good in the build quality over all (body lines, suspension, brakes, engine, interior, etc....) but it is NOT perfect by any means. You have to remember especially when considering the 911 that they have had a LONG time to refine the crap out of that car...it hasn't really changed in what....over 50 years? Hard to compete with a car with that much time under it's belt AND that cost sooo much. I would love see the accounting on how much they got paid back for the development on that car. LOL
Saying the 911 hasn't changed in 50 years is like saying the Corvette hasn't changed in 50 years.
2014C7 (10-04-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 10:56 AM
VT_Z06
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

GT3 quality is quite a bit higher than the current Z. But, they're both fun cars and you can't go wrong with either.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:02 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jdmdohcpower
A fellow Honda guy!!! I can vouch for Hondas just as you say. The NSX and s2000 are incredible cars
(You may be able to notice the CBR back there also)

Attachment 47919250
If the Z06 goes into a wall, the S2000 is what comes out of the other side.

Quick Reply: Build Quality Showdown: Corvette Z06 vs Porsche GT3