C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Motor Trend Driver's Car???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 09:22 AM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

I agree this is a disgrace and a black eye for GM...but all this stuff about the cars having serious issues and people waiting until they are fixed is mostly hot air. The brakes being shot have nothing to do with customer cars, it's a one off, the engines that have been blown seem to be freak stuff and not 'persistent/consistent,' the engines overheating on track seems to be the one issue that has been popping up the most, which probably needs to be addressed, but at the same time others are not having this issue...and if you are a serious track day person, then perhaps an after market radiator would be a smart choice.

Point is, no car is perfect...and I would venture to guess that 98% of C7Z owners are enjoying their cars with little to no issues...Funny how people blow everything out of proportion.

I would be most upset by the ineptitude of the marketing department to send a car with shot brakes than anything else...
Old 09-29-2015, 09:25 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
I agree this is a disgrace and a black eye for GM...but all this stuff about the cars having serious issues and people waiting until they are fixed is mostly hot air. The brakes being shot have nothing to do with customer cars, it's a one off, the engines that have been blown seem to be freak stuff and not 'persistent/consistent,' the engines overheating on track seems to be the one issue that has been popping up the most, which probably needs to be addressed, but at the same time others are not having this issue...and if you are a serious track day person, then perhaps an after market radiator would be a smart choice.

Point is, no car is perfect...and I would venture to guess that 98% of C7Z owners are enjoying their cars with little to no issues...Funny how people blow everything out of proportion.

I would be most upset by the ineptitude of the marketing department to send a car with shot brakes than anything else...
When more media cars are having these major issues than aren't, that usually points to an issue with the car, not just a bunch of coincidences.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:26 AM
cmicasa
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

From Motor Trend mag

Chevy Corvette Z06 (Z07) DNF

"Spark retarded by 8 degrees."

"GM claims it was an issue of being confused by California 91 octane fuel"

CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 (Z07)

Chevrolet Lets Itself Down

It didn't work. The damn Z06 retarded spark by 8 degrees, and the 1.7-liter TVS supercharger refused to make boost. Chevrolet came up with a "bad gas" theory, but Big Nasty got filled at the same Chevron stations as everyone else and even swallowed 8 gallons of 101 octane to wake the supercharger. No luck. What we have here is a failure to compete. What a pity.

Have a look at the specs: 650 hp; 650 lb-ft of torque; big, brawny Brembos; 15.5-inch carbon-ceramic rotors with six-piston monobloc calipers up front, 15.3-inch carbonceramic rotors with four-piston monobloc calipers on the rear; relatively light weight due to its stiff aluminum chassis; and in Stage III Aero guise, the Z07 package records lateral acceleration of 1.17 g, thanks in part to the sticky Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires (285/30R19 front; 335/25R20 rear). If any car could dominate Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, it's this Chevy. This is the horse you bet to win.

If any car could dominate Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, it?s this Corvette Z06.

1:38.60. That time is the best lap our sick Z06 managed to squeak out. Here's a list of cars from this year's BDC the broken Z06 was able to limp around Laguna quicker than: Mazda Miata, Volkswagen Golf R, Bentley GT3-R, Lexus RC F, both Cadillac ATS-Vs (a manual and an automatic), and Mercedes-AMG C63 S. Also, the totally healthy Cadillac CTS-V managed to just pip the lame Z06 by 8 hundredths of a second.

Those bested competitors are just from this year?s group. Dig into the history books and you'll see the busted 'Vette was also quicker than an Audi V10 Plus (1:38.70), Shelby GT500 (1:38.70), Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG (1:38.82), Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Black Series (1:38.90), Porsche 911 Carrera 4S (1:39.19), and a Chevy Camaro ZL1 (1:39.20). Chevy fans can take solace in the fact that even when wounded, the Z06 is quicker than most other high-performance machines. But can you imagine what time a working Z06 would lay down? Remember, the ZR1 managed 1:33.70. Sigh.

From MacKenzie: Kudos to GM for always manning up and putting its cars forward for the most grueling performance test in the business. So it was disappointing to see Big Nasty sidelined by a mysterious engine problem not even the GM techs on hand could figure out. And disappointing to also discover that a car supposedly specially earmarked for BDC testing had been sent to us with worn-out brake pads.? Oh yeah, the brake pads were in terrible shape. Had the Z06 been making full boost, one of us might have been in big trouble on 198.

Chevy is now thinking that California's 91 octane confused the computer when it mixed with 93 octane from Arizona. I say that's

bogus because not only is California the Z06?s largest market and our 'premium' fuel a known quantity, but you're going to tell me this is what will happen to skinflint owners who try to save a buck or two by filling their Z06es with midgrade fuel? That, and this entire ordeal, is unacceptable.

Jonny Lieberman
Old 09-29-2015, 09:45 AM
2014C7
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Why GM did not find a local zo7 and BUY it and give it to motor trend is beyond me.

Buying giving them one and the resultant victory in lap times would have been legendary press forever.

I want to work for GM.

Seriously who had the company card that day?

or the number to the CEO.

This would have made Corvette history.

My two cents.
The following users liked this post:
everjeff (10-01-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 09:46 AM
keagan
Melting Slicks

Received 881 Likes on 451 Posts

My beloved Z, why you sick in all these tests? Im rooting for you but what's the matter??? Unfortunately there are no do-overs to be had here. This sucks!
Old 09-29-2015, 09:59 AM
Mike Campbell
Le Mans Master

Received 1,069 Likes on 592 Posts

It seems to me that some bozo sent an already hammered ZO6 to Motor Trend probably to make himself look like a hero and save GM the price of a new Z. Well I do hope this bozo at least gets fired.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:05 AM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete W
Not only did the car not run right, they gave them a Z06 with shot brakes. What the hell! Why would you do that? I really like the new Z06 and have thought about buying one next spring, but not with all the problems that are popping up. Funny how the ZR1 had none of these issues when it debuted. GM really seems to not care about the quality of the cars going out. When you spend close to $100k you should get a car that can at least do what it was designed to do.
Looks similar to the Viper Gen V experience. Pathetic!
Old 09-29-2015, 10:07 AM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 147 Posts

This car has been a huge FAIL on so many levels but GM could care less because it's still selling.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:20 AM
Nevadagame
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Let me start by saying I own a 2016 ZO6 and I love the car. I don't race, and I will probably never tracked the car. I understand the disappointment that everyone feels in the lack of correct engineering and execution of this incredible vehicle. But whining and complaining in forums is never going to achieve any result.

It's obvious this car has a systemic engineering problem, but I guarantee there is zero chance that General Motors will ever admit any blame or wrong doing, or will ever take on the very costly retro repairs or modifications necessary to fix our cars.

Maybe someday some ambitious group will file a class action suit, and maybe not.

I'm sure GM would prefer not to read these complaints on forums, but they represent little more than a mosquito bite to them since the cars are still selling well. That's just how it works in corporate America.

I see my car is a luxury grand touring machine, with little or no ability to compete with genuine track oriented sports cars. Expecting more is simply unrealistic.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:26 AM
sublime1996525
Team Owner

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Golf R FTW!!
The following 2 users liked this post by sublime1996525:
r0bd (10-14-2015), ZR JUAN (10-01-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 10:33 AM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nevadagame
Let me start by saying I own a 2016 ZO6 and I love the car. I don't race, and I will probably never tracked the car. I understand the disappointment that everyone feels in the lack of correct engineering and execution of this incredible vehicle. But whining and complaining in forums is never going to achieve any result.

It's obvious this car has a systemic engineering problem, but I guarantee there is zero chance that General Motors will ever admit any blame or wrong doing, or will ever take on the very costly retro repairs or modifications necessary to fix our cars.

Maybe someday some ambitious group will file a class action suit, and maybe not.

I'm sure GM would prefer not to read these complaints on forums, but they represent little more than a mosquito bite to them since the cars are still selling well. That's just how it works in corporate America.

I see my car is a luxury grand touring machine, with little or no ability to compete with genuine track oriented sports cars. Expecting more is simply unrealistic.
So you were sold a bill of goods and your happy with that???
Old 09-29-2015, 10:36 AM
william wyatt
Burning Brakes

Let GM a couple hundred $million to fix these cars.The government watch dogs will eventually catch up to them.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:47 AM
GraphicDisorder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xlr8ion
Let GM a couple hundred $million to fix these cars.The government watch dogs will eventually catch up to them.
I doubt the Government will give a **** if a minor percentage of people are overheating these things. But GM should. But they don't Thats the difference between GM and say Ferrari...
Old 09-29-2015, 11:12 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Whoever sent this beat up fleet car should be fired, one would think you would want the car in tip top shape when sending to one of these magazine shootouts.
The following users liked this post:
everjeff (10-01-2015)
Old 09-29-2015, 11:35 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

More fodder for PeterMJ's blog.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:40 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Same car used at VIR?
Old 09-29-2015, 11:41 AM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

[QUOTE=DaveN007;1590590850]WTF happened???

10. Chevy Corvette Z06 (Z07) DNF

"Spark retarded by 8 degrees."

"GM claims it was an issue of being confused by California 91 octane fuel"

Agree it was not a good showing.
I read the article and it brings about many questions I wont bring up here.

A bit of sensationalism by MT as well.
Hard to say in bold letters "DNF" then go on to say "it didn't run well but still beat the following cars" and give a lap time.
It either ran a lap and finished or it didn't. It in fact did.

And if you look at the cover there is a red Z06 on the cover smoking the tires in a donut yet the test was done with a yellow Z06. So at least 2 Z06's were at MT's disposal. You would think an explanation as to why they didn't run the second would have been given.

"worn brake pads" no excuse.

Not making boost is pretty serious. Especially if you are running 100 octane mixed with 91 ish pump gas. No excuse for pulled timing or lack of boost. The car was broke and GM should have presented another vehicle or just sat this one out. Especially with MT since their last experience didn't go well.

Get notified of new replies

To Motor Trend Driver's Car???

Old 09-29-2015, 11:45 AM
GraphicDisorder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO MT sort of did the Z06 a favor by saying DNF.. They could have just said it was slower than a few cars and left it at that. If anything they have helped GM with a excuse, legit or not. DNF sorta leaves the door open for GM to provide a correctly set up/running car and see what happens.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:46 AM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
Same car used at VIR?
Looks like it could be but not really sure.
Old 09-29-2015, 11:53 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Nevadagame

So, keeping quiet about any problems will get the problems resolved?

Just plop down a hundred grand and write it off as a bad cup of coffee?

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Driver's Car???