C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Race Helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:13 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Default Race Helmet?

What race helmet do you all wear, and what would you recommend.

I am planning on tracking my Z at some point, for some HPDE. I would just assume not rent a helmet. What would you recommend?
Old 10-07-2015, 01:59 AM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Helmet purchase

Bell M4.

May I suggest that this is a little like buying shoes. You need to try (it on) before you buy.

The sizing guides most helmet manufacturers have on websites are pretty accurate, but it's super important the helmet fits perfectly.

Also, its important that the helmet be worn by you in the shop for more than a few minutes to check for pressure points. These would develop after more than a few minutes of wearing it. Your shooting for snug, but not tight.
The other factor in play besides how it fits, is weight. The more expensive helmets are usually the lighter ones.

Since it is the most important piece of safety gear you will wear, help with helmet fitment, from store personel would be the way to go. Its been a while, but last time i was in NC, it seemes a speed shop is on every corner.
Also, if you mountain bike and are into gap jumps, forget those flimsy Full Face Mountain Bike Helmets!. Unless you have the best, they wont compare to a SNELL SA2010 Certification. I credit using good Helmets to saving my life on a least three occasions when missing landings.

Below, we have a Bell helmet fitment guide just for starters. Try to go to the BELL Helmets website. Depending on what you may need, Hans device compatibility, visor tear off compatibility, and intercom capabilitites, might be important to you. On an end note, this is one of those things you might want to really look into before you buy.

PROPER HELMET FIT IS VITAL TO THE PERFORMANCE OF A HELMET DURING AN IMPACT. FOR THE HELMET TO PERFORM PROPERLY DURING AN IMPACT, IT MUST STAY SECURELY ON THE HEAD.
Measuring the head is only a starting point for the entire sizing procedure. Due to varying shapes, heads that are apparently the same size when measured by a tape may not necessarily fit the same size helmet.

A small metal tape measure or a cloth tape may be used to make your initial measurement. You can also use a string, which can then be laid against a measuring tape.

Measure the circumference of the head at a point approximately one inch above the eyebrows in front, and at a point in the back of the head that results in the largest possible measurement. Take several measurements. The largest measurement is the one you want to use.

Last edited by DLC7; 10-07-2015 at 03:21 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by DLC7:
arturox2 (10-11-2015), Hemi Dave (10-07-2015), Tine (10-12-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 02:35 AM
Madsen
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

Good advice
Old 10-07-2015, 08:53 AM
ElCid79
Drifting

Thanks for the good advice. I actually was already looking for a good local supplier.

Do you guys run a cooled helmet, those ones that blow air into them? Or is that a waste of time and money. It doesn't seem that much more expensive to get the air pumps.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:57 AM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

Agree with advice above -- I use a Bell sport mag - cheap, comfortable, and fairly protective.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:33 AM
arturox2
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 61 Posts

Good advice above. Definitely try the helmets on at a good racing shop. I use a Simpson Venator.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:57 AM
2016 Z
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Different helmet brands can have distinctly different fits, even in the same numeric sizes. Arai, for example, tends to be slightly more oval, so +1 for trying them on.

I have a Stilo, but only because it fit my goofy shaped head better than any of the others I tried. It also has integrated coms and water, but that's just a side benfit.

Last edited by 2016 Z; 10-07-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:28 AM
rwillitt
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Agree with all that say to try them on. I use an HJC SI-12 that I did buy on the internet after trying several on from local sources. It's a pretty light, full face helmet. It's Snell SA2010 certified, the SA2015 certified helmets should be going on sale soon.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:43 AM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Any new helmet at this point should be an SA15 IMO. I don't think Bell is making an M4 with an SA15 rating. I think the SA15 equivalent is the M8.
Alway recommend having it Hans compatible and as already mentioned, try it on before buying.
The "cooled" helmets have the ventilation ports for use with CoolSuit-type devices. Unless that is properly installed and mounted in the car you can't use for HPDE. There are blower only units out there. The CoolSuit "bag" does not have the blower.
S.

Last edited by Snorman; 10-07-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:56 PM
WaFp
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 24 Posts

Pyrotech helmet for the past few years. Listen to the advice and make sure it fits properly. It protects your nugget, this isn't the place to skimp.
Old 10-07-2015, 04:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by DLC7
Bell M4.

May I suggest that this is a little like buying shoes. You need to try (it on) before you buy.

The sizing guides most helmet manufacturers have on websites are pretty accurate, but it's super important the helmet fits perfectly.

Also, its important that the helmet be worn by you in the shop for more than a few minutes to check for pressure points. These would develop after more than a few minutes of wearing it. Your shooting for snug, but not tight.
The other factor in play besides how it fits, is weight. The more expensive helmets are usually the lighter ones.

Since it is the most important piece of safety gear you will wear, help with helmet fitment, from store personel would be the way to go. Its been a while, but last time i was in NC, it seemes a speed shop is on every corner.
Also, if you mountain bike and are into gap jumps, forget those flimsy Full Face Mountain Bike Helmets!. Unless you have the best, they wont compare to a SNELL SA2010 Certification. I credit using good Helmets to saving my life on a least three occasions when missing landings.

Below, we have a Bell helmet fitment guide just for starters. Try to go to the BELL Helmets website. Depending on what you may need, Hans device compatibility, visor tear off compatibility, and intercom capabilitites, might be important to you. On an end note, this is one of those things you might want to really look into before you buy.

PROPER HELMET FIT IS VITAL TO THE PERFORMANCE OF A HELMET DURING AN IMPACT. FOR THE HELMET TO PERFORM PROPERLY DURING AN IMPACT, IT MUST STAY SECURELY ON THE HEAD.
Measuring the head is only a starting point for the entire sizing procedure. Due to varying shapes, heads that are apparently the same size when measured by a tape may not necessarily fit the same size helmet.

A small metal tape measure or a cloth tape may be used to make your initial measurement. You can also use a string, which can then be laid against a measuring tape.

Measure the circumference of the head at a point approximately one inch above the eyebrows in front, and at a point in the back of the head that results in the largest possible measurement. Take several measurements. The largest measurement is the one you want to use.
Good advise on the fitment issues. You really need a shop that is interested in making sure you have a proper fit before you walk out the door.

I really like Stilo Helmets but can't afford their lowest cost model so currently have an Impact 1320 that I purchased in 2010. The shop where I purchased my helmet had two suppliers. Impact and Simpson. Both of their large sizes were too large for my 7 1/4 hat size, the Impact Medium helmet was tight but not as tight as the Simpson Medium Helmet and was a better fit on my head. It contacts the top my head, sits well across the eye brow and is tight on the cheeks. Could it be a little looser, maybe but I am comfortable in it when I wear it for long periods of time. As an Instructor I sometimes end up with two students so can wear the helmet up to an hour at a time.

Bill
Old 10-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

One additional note. If you wear glasses when you drive (prescription or even sunglasses) try them on with the helmet as well. Some are made to accommodate glasses, some are not. Even with the latter, there are various ways to address any issues, but it's good to know before you buy.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:58 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,509 Likes on 2,598 Posts

Originally Posted by Briby37
I have an HJC SI-12. One of the things I would suggest is getting a full-faced helmet. That'll give you some freedom to do an open-wheel school or event should you ever want to. Then +1 to the other notes about fitment and not skimping. This is one of those important things that you don't want to cut corners with.
I agree with full face helmet, not just for open wheel events. A number of organizations will only accept full face helmets. This year I learned that the state of New Jersey requires a full face helmet for racing even though SCCA does not. Also, if you can, get the Snell SA2015 rating unless you do not expect to need the helmet for more than 6 years as many will not accept an SA 2010 after 2021.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:46 PM
lawdogg149
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

I love my open face. Love hearing the sounds and feeling the winds. Sure its not as safe but I have a hard time in full face helmets.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:52 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

I was planning on a full face. Gotta find a performance shop. Shouldn't be an issue in nascar country. I am gonna look at all of the ones y'all recommended.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:23 PM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ElCid79
What race helmet do you all wear, and what would you recommend.

I am planning on tracking my Z at some point, for some HPDE. I would just assume not rent a helmet. What would you recommend?
What a coincidence, I received an email about an interesting article today (because I have a subscription to LSXTV): Helmet Selection, How Much Is Your Head Worth?

Link: http://www.lsxtv.com/tech-stories/ch...ur-head-worth/
The following 3 users liked this post by Z06Ronald:
arturox2 (10-11-2015), DaveN007 (10-12-2015), Tine (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 03:34 PM
beadman
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WaFp
Pyrotech helmet for the past few years. Listen to the advice and make sure it fits properly. It protects your nugget, this isn't the place to skimp.
Pyrotech has a open face model with a small bill that would be nice when you enter the final kink at Spring Mountain during late afternoon. You turn left into the bright afternoon sun and almost have to do the kink by memory. Pretty hairy, but fun as its a quick left-right!

Old 10-12-2015, 03:44 PM
DaveN007
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Tracking a Z06 is at least $1000 per day.

Consider this fact when agonizing over $300 versus $1000 for a helmet that will last for years.

Lightweight and comfortable (once safety is covered) are worth extra money.

Old 10-12-2015, 05:29 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Yeah, I am not overly worried about the cost of it. Granted, I don't want to throw money in the trash. My noggin is worth a good investment.

Get notified of new replies

To Race Helmet?

Quick Reply: Race Helmet?