C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

I'm almost ready to purchase, but a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 01:14 PM
Drmike12
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I'm almost ready to purchase, but a few questions

I have owned and sold one of every generation from C4-C7 but I have yet to drive or own a Z06.
I have searched the forums for an answer to the following questions but I'm not successful in finding any answers directly from GM.
1. Does GM have a solution for the loss of power (heat soak) that people are experiencing?
2. KBB review of C7 Z06 experienced overheating (any response from GM)?
3. Does GM have a response, other than what was written in the article, from the Motor Trend article where the Z06 lost power?

Please send me in the right direction with a link or explanation. I really want to purchase this car but I need to convince myself that these problems are rare instances and not the norm.
You guys are awesome and I love this forum, especially the pictures.
Old 10-18-2015, 02:06 PM
15Stingray
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you considered the Stingray? I have owned the previous Z06 as well as the C5 Z06's.
My 15 Stingray A8 feels just as fast as my previous 08 Z06 and a lot more fun.
You should drive the A8 Stingray and I think you will be surprised how it's more than enough fun and powerful. In the racing world I get it having to be 1/2 a second faster and 7-8 miles an hour faster on 1/4 mile runs. But real world driving you will be extremely happy. And I am truly amazed how many people compliment my Stingray and while driving down the road people pull up next to me and give me the thumbs up. And your hearing from an owner of 3 former Z06's and yes I could buy one tomorrow if I felt it was the right decision for me.
Attached Images  

Last edited by 15Stingray; 10-18-2015 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:03 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Read the sticky at the top "Z06 mega merge overheating issues" to answer your questions as well as the thread "Motor Trend Drivers Car" further down in this Z06 Discussion section. Links to GM's response on both issues are in there too.
The following users liked this post:
BigNastyZO7 (10-19-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 03:55 PM
Drmike12
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by 15Stingray
Have you considered the Stingray? I have owned the previous Z06 as well as the C5 Z06's.
My 15 Stingray A8 feels just as fast as my previous 08 Z06 and a lot more fun.
You should drive the A8 Stingray and I think you will be surprised how it's more than enough fun and powerful. In the racing world I get it having to be 1/2 a second faster and 7-8 miles an hour faster on 1/4 mile runs. But real world driving you will be extremely happy. And I am truly amazed how many people compliment my Stingray and while driving down the road people pull up next to me and give me the thumbs up. And your hearing from an owner of 3 former Z06's and yes I could buy one tomorrow if I felt it was the right decision for me.
Yes, I had a Stingray and felt it was plenty quick. I love the look of the Z06 with the widebody. I may go ahead with the Stingray again because I truly loved it and missed it.
Thanks for the response.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:53 PM
fdxpilot
Safety Car

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Are you planning on tracking your car? I have not run mine on the track, but I have just under 5k mi including summer in Mississippi, and have yet to notice any overheating or heat soak.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:59 PM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

That is the question.

Are you going to track it? If you are, I can't help you. The mega-merge overheating thread with thousands of posts might.

If you aren't, then any overheating problems on track have nothing to do with public roads and daily driving. Don't miss out on the time of your life because you choose to believe the whiners and haters, very few of whom have any firsthand knowledge.
Old 10-18-2015, 05:01 PM
BWFitz
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by fdxpilot
Are you planning on tracking your car? I have not run mine on the track, but I have just under 5k mi including summer in Mississippi, and have yet to notice any overheating or heat soak.

Most do not experience any 'heat soak' or 'overheating'. I just finished running mine in the Silver State Classic. That's a regularity rally with a target speed and target time between checkpoints for 90 miles. my target speed was 100 MPH so, I ran the car as close as possible to 100 MPH for 90 miles; that's 54 minutes. Arriived at the finish 7 seconds late with an average speed of 99.7798 MPH....Here's the Health data from the Cosworth Toolset for that run. Some cars do experience overheating on the track but many do not.
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2015, 05:53 PM
Drmike12
Heel & Toe

I will never track the car. It seems the general consensus is that there is no problem with the car in normal driving and that very few have overheating if they are tracking the car. Most seem to track it with no problem.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:46 PM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

Originally Posted by Drmike12
I will never track the car. It seems the general consensus is that there is no problem with the car in normal driving and that very few have overheating if they are tracking the car. Most seem to track it with no problem.
The current poll is showing that over 1/3 of people tracking the car experience overheating. Clearly not an insignificant number.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:51 PM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Not an issue if that is the case! Get the car and enjoy like the 99% that have it.

Old 10-18-2015, 07:10 PM
Drmike12
Heel & Toe

The poll does show 30% who track their car overheats. That is a high percentage.
Are there any polls that show the percentage of cars that overheat in normal driving conditions?
Old 10-18-2015, 08:11 PM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

I dnot think the car overheats in regular driving by any means. If you are not tracking then you shouldn't have any issues. Most heat soaking issues have been attributed to the improper fill of the intercooler coolant per what I read around here.

If your Z06 is only going to see highway pulls on an occasional basis you have zero things to worry about.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:33 PM
6SHIFTIN
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New Vette but also nice Kubota showing up 15Stingray. Note my orange Avatar color.
Old 10-18-2015, 08:48 PM
15Stingray
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 6SHIFTIN
New Vette but also nice Kubota showing up 15Stingray. Note my orange Avatar color.
Yeah I love orange and have very close to being the Sunset Orange Daytona numerous times. As a kid in 1976 I begged my dad to buy a Kubota tractor and he just couldn't afford it. And I have had many Kubotas over the last 20 years. So thanks for the compliment and love your car.
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2015, 08:55 PM
Mr.Brooks
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was you, I'd buy smth elsle my friend. People are still getting big troubles with this car. GM can't even fix the main problem, my friend.
AMG -GT will be a perfect choice. At least it won't stop after the 2 or 3 laps, my friend.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:05 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 344 Likes on 221 Posts

Thousands of us are having a ball driving our Z06s with no issues. You could too. Or, as MrBrooks suggests, you could get a slower, less viscerally interesting car for only 60% more money and probably enjoy that too.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:35 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

From what I've read the manual trans is less likely to overheat than the auto on the track. If you can afford the Z06 then I'd get it over the stingray, otherwise you'd be second guessing the purchase.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:01 AM
HolyRoller
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Brooks
If I was you, I'd buy smth elsle huh? is that the new teenage abbreviation for "something else"? my friend. People are still getting big troubles with this car. my friend, the only big troubles I get with this car are too many girls wanting to ride in it GM can't even fix the main problem what is the main problem again, my friend?, my friend.
AMG GT will be a perfect choice. ya, Mercedeses never EVER break, and even when they do, parts and labor are practically free at your authorized M-B beauty salon, but the crepes and cappuccino are about four thousand bucks At least it won't stop after the ? 2 or 3 laps, my friend.
My friend, our local Benzo dealer has some sales job openings. I'll send you their way. Your only problem will be deciding how to spend all those commissions from all those AMG GT clients.

The poll does show 30% who track their car overheats. That is a high percentage.
Are there any polls that show the percentage of cars that overheat in normal driving conditions?
If you are actually a doctor, whether PhD (aka Pizza hut Delivery), MD, OD, DO, DD, JD (in which case you shouldn't be calling yourself a doctor), JSD, EdD, DP, DC, or Dr. Dre, then at some point some critical thinking skills should have seeped in. Question everything, especially utterly unscientific and unreliable online polls. Of those who report overheating on track, question whether it happened at all (haters are not above making stuff up), and then how and why it happened, and whether there are ways to avoid it, such as by choosing the manual transmission (Tadge has said as much), correct track prep, or other factors that are well within your control.

My unscientific data point occurred yesterday, when I ran all over rural roads in second gear for nearly an hour because the girls who wanted rides just couldn't get enough, and even my track-unsuitable Z06 convertible didn't overheat, although the radiator fan ran for a few minutes after shutdown.

Beginning the fourth summer I had it, my former C6 coupe inevitably overheated on very hot days when running the air conditioner. All I had to do was turn off the AC and it would settle down, but I wondered why the sudden onset? Eventually it occurred to me that the incident where I busted the radiator support on a hidden divot in my dirt/grass driveway was probably a factor, by messing up the airflow through the radiator. Traded it for a new Z--problem solved!

Get notified of new replies

To I'm almost ready to purchase, but a few questions

Quick Reply: I'm almost ready to purchase, but a few questions