C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Hot oil 'smell' in cabin when at a stop ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2015, 12:59 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Default Hot oil 'smell' in cabin when at a stop ?

So I'm at 4200 miles and starting about 500 miles ago when coming to a stop at a red light etc, I can smell a distinct 'hot oil' odor inside the cabin. This does not occur at all when the car is moving.

This is with the HVAC set on 'Auto' or with manual control, but using outside, not recirculated, air.

There is no oil being 'burned' that I can see as the exhaust tips are 'normal'; my oil level is stable; there is no oil spilt on the drivetrain components anywhere; (I checked this past weekend when I changed the engine oil), and lastly when stopped with the engine running and I open the hood, there is no obvious smell of 'hot oil' to be smelled anywhere within the engine compartment.

Anyone know of any TSBs regarding this, or is there a definitive answer?

There have been a few other owners mention this issue in passing, but its pissing me off enough that I thought a dedicated thread was in order.

I think this weekend I'll remove the S/C cover to inspect that area as well as the intake 'snorkel' as I've seen mention of the possibility of 'standing' oil in both places, although I can't see how an oil odor could migrate from these areas into the interior.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.

Bish
Old 11-13-2015, 01:13 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Using a catch can?
Old 11-13-2015, 01:39 PM
408sbc
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oil-smell.html

Old 11-13-2015, 02:34 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Believe it or not.

No oil smell from day one and I have run this car hard at the drag strip more than once. No catch can either. Also followed GMs break in procedure. OH, and for a heavy "steel" rotored car (CC rotors 22 lbs less rotating weight) its not slow.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 11-13-2015 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:39 PM
Jpjr2016
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got a hot gas smell in the cabin. Usually after lunch.

Sorry, could not resist.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:38 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the links, and I know that you and I had mentioned it in another thread. Just trying to see if there are more answers.

If there is oil inside the S/C housing and the intake tract I'm not seeing how that air/smell is making its way inside the cabin via the HVAC system. It absolutely does not do this when set to Recirc; only when fresh air is selected.

Bish
Old 11-13-2015, 04:43 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by thebishman
Thanks for the links, and I know that you and I had mentioned it in another thread. Just trying to see if there are more answers.

If there is oil inside the S/C housing and the intake tract I'm not seeing how that air/smell is making its way inside the cabin via the HVAC system. It absolutely does not do this when set to Recirc; only when fresh air is selected.

Bish
Have you tried coming to a stop and quickly opening your hood to see if the smell is present?
Old 11-13-2015, 05:20 PM
408sbc
Instructor

Bish
Here is my theory: First, all Z06's have this issue to some degree. The people who are not reporting it either have one of the luckier Z06's that is not ingesting the higher amount of oil into the SC plenum via the PCV system....or do not have the acute sense of smell that picks it up.....or a combination of both. Second, what I think is happening is that the aggressive aero at the rear of the car is causing the oiled-air laden exhaust from the induction to wrap around the car and make it to the fresh air intake which is below the drivers side windshield wiper. I do not think it is oil laden air from the engine compartment because there is a hood seal that separates the engine compartment from the cabin fresh air intake. This isn't an issue of "burning oil".....this is an issue of the intake air for the engine being drug through a chamber covered in oil (pooling in spots in most cases) giving the air an oily bath before entering the combustion process. This theory "fits" with the oil smell almost immediately going away when the car starts to move again, hence exhaust once again trailing the car and the cabin intake once again pulling in fresh air. It also explains why you won't smell it with the air conditioning off and the cabin recirc on since you are no longer pulling in air from the outside via the exterior vent. Bet I'm right.

Last edited by 408sbc; 11-13-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:04 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Default oil smell when coming to stop

So I'm at 4200 miles and starting about 500 miles ago when coming to a stop at a red light etc, I can smell a distinct 'hot oil' odor inside the cabin.
Run red lights and don't stop, you shouldn't smell the hot oil odor inside the cabin. ---- couldn't resist.

do the basics first if you have not done so -- crawl under the car to see if any oil is dripping on the exhaust, or have you checked the engine bay if you had a recent oil change, and oil was spilled somewhere in the engine compartment.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 11-13-2015 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:46 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Honestly probably as simple as a leaky gasket somewhere (per Mr. Gizmo).

If oil in the intake path is common, I'll repeat my theory that oil in the intake air causes detonation which causes timing retard which causes the engine to run hot which makes it pull timing, run hotter, rinse and repeat. I can't help but wonder if some of the people with "really bad" cases of trackitis aren't experiencing major blowby setting off this cascade.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:55 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Honestly probably as simple as a leaky gasket somewhere (per Mr. Gizmo).

If oil in the intake path is common, I'll repeat my theory that oil in the intake air causes detonation which causes timing retard which causes the engine to run hot which makes it pull timing, run hotter, rinse and repeat. I can't help but wonder if some of the people with "really bad" cases of trackitis aren't experiencing major blowby setting off this cascade.
Dave, that's my point too. A gasket or seal can leak fumes without leaking fluid. I've experienced this on two cars. One was the rear intake gasket and the other was never found. No signs of oil ever appeared. Just a wiff of burned oil coming in through the vents. Just because there's a seal between the hood and the cowl doesn't guarantee that the scent of oil wouldn't enter the cabin through the vents. The reason the smell isn't there until slowing down or stopping is there is enough airflow through the engine compartment to carry away the fumes.

Last edited by lgodom; 11-13-2015 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:57 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by lgodom
Dave, that's my point too. A gasket or seal can leak fumes without leaking fluid. I've experienced this on two cars. One was the rear intake gasket and the other was never found. No signs of oil ever appeared. Just a wiff of burned oil coming in through the vents. Just because there's a seal between the hood and the cowl doesn't guarantee that the scent of oil wouldn't enter the cabin through the vents.
On my M3 I had an oil smell, but it was sort of a burnt oil smell. About once every six months I'd ever get a little 'puff' out the cowl, then nothing for a long time. The dealer could never find it.

Then, when they had to tear the motor down for a rod bearing recall, it magically went away. So similar to your story, except I was lucky enough that it went away on its own, sort of.
Old 11-13-2015, 07:59 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
On my M3 I had an oil smell, but it was sort of a burnt oil smell. About once every six months I'd ever get a little 'puff' out the cowl, then nothing for a long time. The dealer could never find it.

Then, when they had to tear the motor down for a rod bearing recall, it magically went away. So similar to your story, except I was lucky enough that it went away on its own, sort of.
It went away because they replaced the leaking gasket. This won't be an easy problem to trace as you mentioned.
Old 11-13-2015, 08:07 PM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 408sbc
Here is my theory: First, all Z06's have this issue to some degree. The people who are not reporting it either have one of the luckier Z06's that is not ingesting the higher amount of oil into the SC plenum via the PCV system....or do not have the acute sense of smell that picks it up.....or a combination of both. Second, what I think is happening is that the aggressive aero at the rear of the car is causing the oiled-air laden exhaust from the induction to wrap around the car and make it to the fresh air intake which is below the drivers side windshield wiper. I do not think it is oil laden air from the engine compartment because there is a hood seal that separates the engine compartment from the cabin fresh air intake. This isn't an issue of "burning oil".....this is an issue of the intake air for the engine being drug through a chamber covered in oil (pooling in spots in most cases) giving the air an oily bath before entering the combustion process. This theory "fits" with the oil smell almost immediately going away when the car starts to move again, hence exhaust once again trailing the car and the cabin intake once again pulling in fresh air. It also explains why you won't smell it with the air conditioning off and the cabin recirc on since you are no longer pulling in air from the outside via the exterior vent. Bet I'm right.
Your theory makes some sense. As with our car those with cans installed posted less to no smell of oil. Does that fit your theory? I also think the new car smell in the Vettes has a similar smell as oil vapors. The adhesives may be petroleum based.
Old 11-13-2015, 09:54 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
Your theory makes some sense. As with our car those with cans installed posted less to no smell of oil. Does that fit your theory? I also think the new car smell in the Vettes has a similar smell as oil vapors. The adhesives may be petroleum based.
But yours sounds like BS. No can no smell and lets see you prove your comments?

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 11-13-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:01 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I have noticed the oil smell since my car was new. At first, I thought it may have been do to the dealer overfilling the sump during the 500 mi oil change.

I always notice this after a freeway drive and then slowing to a stop. I believe that this is simply because of less air speed over the car and through the venting system.

The installation of a catch can has eliminated the oil under the SC cover, but not the oil smell. This smell is similar to fresh oil like a spill or from the oil tank.

It is interesting that not all owners have reported this issue. Dealers can only find references to overfilling and will replace filters and clean things up, but it does not help.

If enough of us report this, eventually GM will do something about it. With all of the other reported issues, I am sure they have a long list, but this one may have a simpler fix that the overheating.

I have an A8 Z07 just as an FYI for those keeping track of the reports.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:13 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I wonder if it's just autos that have the smell or m7's too? Just a thought. If you remove the sc cover please post pics of the inside. Good luck finding the problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Hot oil 'smell' in cabin when at a stop ?

Old 11-13-2015, 10:26 PM
408sbc
Instructor

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I wonder if it's just autos that have the smell or m7's too? Just a thought. If you remove the sc cover please post pics of the inside. Good luck finding the problem.
The issue has be identified by both A8 and M7 owners.
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (11-13-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 10:27 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Thanks.
Old 11-14-2015, 09:13 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by lgodom
Have you tried coming to a stop and quickly opening your hood to see if the smell is present?
Yesterday I pulled into the garage, left the car running and quickly got out to inspect, aka smell around the whole engine bay. Couldn't smell anything at all.

I never noticed this at all until I did an oil change about 500 miles ago. The oil level is perfect.
There is no oil on the undercarriage of the car; I checked.
I did not spill oil when refilling the car.

Bish

Quick Reply: Hot oil 'smell' in cabin when at a stop ?