C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

When is PTM available?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 04:00 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default When is PTM available?

If you just put the car in Tr (Track) without going into the "deeper" modes, is PTM active?

I'd hate to assume so, hit the apex, floor the pedal, and eat weeds.

Is it on by default in Tour? Eco? Is it something the car is always prepared to do, or does it need to be turned on via one of the modes?

I won't be trying it on the next cloverleaf, but on the next trip to the track I'd like to try it out. I'm just afraid to plant the pedal in a corner and hope for the best without knowing that I've got PTM actually enabled!

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-14-2015, 04:19 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

Starts page 9-39, but look at 9-41 then read 9-44 to 9-47.
I know, the manual, sorry.
http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam...ers-manual.pdf
Old 11-14-2015, 04:21 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Traction control and Stabilitrac are active in Tour and Sport modes unless manually turned off. They will intervene in the situations you describe. But in Track mode, I don't know if PTM is active unless you pick a level. Good question. My guess is no PTM but yes on TC and Stabilitrac. The TC is in a specific setting for Track mode, less intrusive.

Last edited by Babaron; 11-14-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:26 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Jaden found the table I was thinking of but couldn't find - it shows it Available in Track and Off in all other modes.

It says you need to hit the TC button twice quickly in Track mode. Spooks me a little that it shows Stabilitrack as OFF - will it still intervene to save your bacon if you get it sideways? It does says in the mode descriptions that "Stabilitrak is ON" even tough the light is off (weird UI). Mode 4+ turns it off, as does holding the button for 10 seconds.

Last edited by davepl; 11-14-2015 at 04:29 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:29 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I think it will intervene in all but RACE mode.

Last edited by Babaron; 11-14-2015 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:31 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Babaron
I think it will in all but RACE mode.
Looks to be off in both of these.

"PERF TRAC 4 - SPORT ACTIVE HANDLING OFF"
"PERF TRAC 5 - RACE ACTIVE HANDLING OFF"

So now another RTFM potential question: What's the difference betwen Stabilitrak and Active Handling???
Old 11-14-2015, 04:34 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

When I would take active handling off my magnacharged C5, I was always backwards and sideways, So, I pretty much leave nannies on now. I just slide into opposite lanes. Occasionally one push for a burnout.
Old 11-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

I think intervention is pretty damn aggressive unless you go into the PTM modes. Last weekend, I pitted out without going through my usual routine. By T7 I realized that I didn't put the car in PTM-Race. It pulled power very hard through that section and even worse in T7.
You'll know it's on if you drive the car pretty hard.
S.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:28 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

I'm not sure what mode it goes in to but you could test by running the PDR then go into track mode. It shows the PTM setting in the overlay.

Mode 4 and 5 do not have yaw control (active handling). I think that means the e-diff doesn't bias torque but I could be wrong there.
Old 11-14-2015, 07:52 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
I'm not sure what mode it goes in to but you could test by running the PDR then go into track mode. It shows the PTM setting in the overlay.

Mode 4 and 5 do not have yaw control (active handling). I think that means the e-diff doesn't bias torque but I could be wrong there.
I'm pretty sure with AH off the e-diff still does its thing but the car won't use selective brake applications to straighten the car if it gets too far out of line.

Like others have said, the non-PTM modes are very intrusive on track (include track mode if you don't hit the button twice). However, I've found that the AH in the PTM modes worked remarkably well. I've set most of my fast laps in Sport 1 and thought the PTW wet mode worked well on a soaked VIR last week running Cup 2 tires.

Of course, Samwise was still motoring around me on his R888 in the rain.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:15 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,809 Likes on 1,146 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
So now another RTFM potential question: What's the difference between Stabilitrak and Active Handling???
Nothing. Stabilitrak is the GM name for Corvette's Active Handling.
Old 11-15-2015, 06:43 PM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

According to Rick at Spring Mountain... (and I hope I don't get this wrong, Rick), PTM turns OFF the brake action that helps control the rear wheels. By turning ON PTM, you turn OFF the ability of the brakes to control wheel spin BUT, wheel spin is still controlled by limiting engine power to stop slippage. The main reason this was done was to save brake pads. On the track, if you don't turn PTM on, the brake pads will be eaten up relatively quickly while the computer(s) protect you from hurting yourself. (How did I do Rick???)

At Spring Mountain, That had us go to "TRACK" and then hit the button twice and then rotate the dial to "SPORT 1" to turn on PTM. I had a couple of occasions where I could feel the power being limited a bit when I was a bit late on my turn-ins but I also felt the help it gave me. It's a GREAT feature and REALLY nice once you learn it. By the way, and in a similar light, they take you to a wet, silicone coated skid pad and you turn things off and PURPOSELY slip the car around...... at about 15 MPH! Then they turn on WET mode and you TRY to spin it again. Won't happen.... Even at FULL throttle!

Steve

Last edited by 67*427; 11-15-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To When is PTM available?

Quick Reply: When is PTM available?