C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Spring Mountain

Old 11-23-2015, 02:58 AM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

Default Spring Mountain

I attended the Spring Mountain driving school for C7 owners last month. As others have stated, the facilities, track and instructors are first rate. With GM subsidizing all except for $1000, it is a bargain.

When I registered several months prior, I was told that the chances of driving a Z06 were slim, let alone an A8Z07 which I have. When I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised that they had several Z06 A8 cars. I was able to drive 4 different A8's with the Z07 just like mine. They remove the Cup 2 tires and replace them with SS tires from the base Z.
They do this because the Cup 2 tires last only a couple of days versus a week with the SS.

The classroom sessions were good as long as the instructors stuck to track driving tips. Far too much time was given to the car features, all from the manual. Since they had to cover C7 base, Z06, auto and manual, as well as suspensions, this took a lot of valuable time. Most owners liked this because they had not read the manual and did not know their cars. Lots of questions about tire wear, how to lower the car and how to check the oil. This time would be better served on the track or at least how to drive on the track.

There were 20 attendees in my group. A8's represented 60% and M7's 40%. I think this is close to GM sales percentages. There were 10 C7's and 10 Z06's. We drove in groups of 3-4 with the instructors driving Camaros. After each lap, we would rotate positions with the car following the instructor moving to the rear. Most of the driver's seemed inexperienced and the pace was slow. I preferred being behind the instructors because they would try to stay 3 car lengths ahead. This was great until the rest of the group fell too far behind the instructor and they were forced to slow down.

We did 2 hot laps with a fast instructor driving an A8 Z07 with me as a passenger. This really displayed the car's capabilities because the driver was very fast and had professional driving experience. With the car in Track Sport1, I could feel it the controls preventing a spin in the highest G corners. I just wish I could drive like that, but I doubt that it will happen.

I was the oldest of the attendees at 70, but turned the fastest laps. Although I have never raced on an HPDE track, I have done some Autocross and have always pushed my many fast cars to their or my limit.

The last day, the Director of instructors, Rick, asked to ride with me. He gave me personal instruction which accelerated my learning curve. Most importantly, as we would catch up to another driver, he would radio his instructors to have them pull to the right and let me pass in the biggest straight. This experience has me excited enough to consider taking my car to the track. Willow Springs is fairly close to me and I have an enclosed car trailer I can use for transport if necessary. My only concern is damaging my new car. I have seen many fast "beaters" that don't care much about their cars really crowding others in some of the corners and making shaky passes. I wish there were some days with only newer sports cars allowed on the track, at least for some sessions.

I am going to try to attach a youtube link to the video of the last session that the instructor rode with me.

Last edited by CONMAX; 11-24-2015 at 10:53 PM. Reason: video
Old 11-23-2015, 07:36 AM
67*427
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

The video is private.......
Old 11-23-2015, 11:12 AM
AZDoug
Race Director

Received 1,478 Likes on 905 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C1 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by CONMAX
Most of the driver's seemed inexperienced and the pace was slow.
LOL.

I auto crossed my '61 Corvette* several years ago,a nd at first I was one of the fastest cars against bunch of C5 and C6 cars until they had several rounds around the course to keep getting better times. I only ran three times, as i didn't want to beat my car too much; after everyone else was done after many, many runs, I was still about in the middle, time wise.

I guess my misspent youth throwing my '61 around street corners and doing other racing paid off.

*The '61 has a 427 small block, but the suspension is stock except for traction bars, significantly wider M/T street radial tires and heavy rear springs, I had to use throttle steer in the corners as the car had a slight oversteer tendency.

Doug

Last edited by AZDoug; 11-23-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:45 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

I attended the Spring Mountain driving school for C7 owners last month. As others have stated, the facilities, track and instructors are first rate. With GM subsidizing all except for $1000, it is a bargain........
As I haven't gotten my ZO6 yet, I wondered if someone could enlighten me on the GM subsidy for Spring Mountain. How does it work exactly? Is it only available to original owners or is it available if no one has utilized it yet? For Chrysler on its (2007) SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee, you could go to the one day session with Richard Petty driving instructors if the VIN had not been used for a session previously. The SRT track session was listed on the Window Sticker as part of the standard equipment. --Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 11-24-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-24-2015, 12:09 PM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,504 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Default Spring Mountain

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
As I haven't gotten my ZO6 yet, I wondered if someone could enlighten me on the GM subsidy for Spring Mountain. How does it work exactly? Is it only available to original owners or is it available if no one has utilized it yet? For Chrysler on its (2007) SRT8 Jeep Grand Cherokee, you could go to the one day session with Richard Petty driving instructors if the VIN had not been used for a session previously. The SRT track session was listed on the Window Sticker as part of the standard equipment. --Bob
It's only available to new purchaser's. GM will send a letter with all the information or you can call on your own and book your class. All you need is your VIN number and a cc to cover the $1,000.00. Ask for Darci or Emma Line.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:09 PM
VetterFlyer
Instructor

Received 113 Likes on 49 Posts

Very interesting post. It struck home in many places. I too have a Z06/7 A8 and I was 70 when I went to Bonderant school after I bought my 2008 Z06. I experienced the very same thing. I haven't signed up for Spring Mountian yet, but yesterday I went over Spring Mountain; see below;
I'm at 22,000 feet over NV74 airport in my homebuilt airplane going 323 mph (TAS 281 knots)(upper left corner on screen) piston engine 550 ci twin turbo, twin intercooled, in pressurized comfort, no cops to watch for. Happy as a 76 yr old clam can be! Happy Thankgiving to all.
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2015, 04:16 PM
foot 1
Racer

Received 249 Likes on 117 Posts

I attended the Spring Mountain driving school for C7 owners last month. As others have stated, the facilities, track and instructors are first rate. With GM subsidizing all except for $1000, it is a bargain.

When I registered several months prior, I was told that the chances of driving a Z06 were slim, let alone an A8Z07 which I have. When I arrived, I was pleasantly surprised that they had several Z06 A8 cars. I was able to drive 4 different A8's with the Z07 just like mine. They remove the Cup 2 tires and replace them with SS tires from the base Z.
They do this because the Cup 2 tires last only a couple of days versus a week with the SS.

The classroom sessions were good as long as the instructors stuck to track driving tips. Far too much time was given to the car features, all from the manual. Since they had to cover C7 base, Z06, auto and manual, as well as suspensions, this took a lot of valuable time. Most owners liked this because they had not read the manual and did not know their cars. Lots of questions about tire wear, how to lower the car and how to check the oil. This time would be better served on the track or at least how to drive on the track.

There were 20 attendees in my group. A8's represented 60% and M7's 40%. I think this is close to GM sales percentages. There were 10 C7's and 10 Z06's. We drove in groups of 3-4 with the instructors driving Camaros. After each lap, we would rotate positions with the car following the instructor moving to the rear. Most of the driver's seemed inexperienced and the pace was slow. I preferred being behind the instructors because they would try to stay 3 car lengths ahead. This was great until the rest of the group fell too far behind the instructor and they were forced to slow down.

We did 2 hot laps with a fast instructor driving an A8 Z07 with me as a passenger. This really displayed the car's capabilities because the driver was very fast and had professional driving experience. With the car in Track Sport1, I could feel it the controls preventing a spin in the highest G corners. I just wish I could drive like that, but I doubt that it will happen.

I was the oldest of the attendees at 70, but turned the fastest laps. Although I have never raced on an HPDE track, I have done some Autocross and have always pushed my many fast cars to their or my limit.

The last day, the Director of instructors, Rick, asked to ride with me. He gave me personal instruction which accelerated my learning curve. Most importantly, as we would catch up to another driver, he would radio his instructors to have them pull to the right and let me pass in the biggest straight. This experience has me excited enough to consider taking my car to the track. Willow Springs is fairly close to me and I have an enclosed car trailer I can use for transport if necessary. My only concern is damaging my new car. I have seen many fast "beaters" that don't care much about their cars really crowding others in some of the corners and making shaky passes. I wish there were some days with only newer sports cars allowed on the track, at least for some sessions.

I am going to try to attach a youtube link to the video of the last session that the instructor rode with me.

https://youtu.be/l1JAWK49Gw0
you can go back for level 2 or a private lesson , it's a blast and a whole lot more track time , and you wont have to worry about beating up your car
Old 11-24-2015, 10:19 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

dang i have been up and completed level 3 in the z51's sounds like this school might be a snooze fest on the 1st day possibly? for experienced track drivers? how much track time did you get on the 2nd day and what time did you usually wrap up? gotta decide to stay in the condos the 1 night or just drive back to vegas.

Last edited by dvandentop; 11-24-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:35 PM
mjcourt
Pro

Received 118 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
dang i have been up and completed level 3 in the z51's sounds like this school might be a snooze fest on the 1st day possibly? for experienced track drivers? how much track time did you get on the 2nd day and what time did you usually wrap up? gotta decide to stay in the condos the 1 night or just drive back to vegas.
I had been to SM before and they let me apply my voucher towards a level 2 class rather than repeat a level 1. But they drive Stingrays in level 2 & 3, so you may not get to drive a Z06 in the class.
Old 11-24-2015, 10:38 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Originally Posted by mjcourt
I had been to SM before and they let me apply my voucher towards a level 2 class rather than repeat a level 1. But they drive Stingrays in level 2 & 3, so you may not get to drive a Z06 in the class.
yeah i have done level 1,2,3. good excuse to get on track i guess hopefully not a whole class of 1st timers is my main concern
Old 11-24-2015, 10:59 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

I fixed the video. It was far too long to ever finish uploading to youtube.

The last session, when the instructor had the others move over, lasted about 20 minutes.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:47 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

I fixed the video. It was far too long to ever finish uploading to youtube.

The last session, when the instructor had the others move over, lasted about 20 minutes.
so no solo sessions on the 2nd day without a lead follow?? daanng
Old 11-28-2015, 05:46 PM
randog
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

https://youtu.be/9ntvu-DEFZo

I did my 2 day Springmountain Nov. 5/6, 2015. Was a blast, as said by others, best g-note I ever spent! It's totally worth it. Those guys are pros. First time on a track for me, now I'm addicted! Randog

Get notified of new replies

To Spring Mountain

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spring Mountain