C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

TSB request- popping out of first

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 04:08 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Received 154 Likes on 42 Posts

Default TSB request- popping out of first

I am planning on having redline install a MGW shifter for me shortly but want to make sure the random popping out of first will not remain.

I have searched every thread for "popping" and it seems to be an adjustment issue or a new tranny...

So.. I would like to see the TSB on the issue so I can give it to redline with my shifter. Prefer not to have the dealer "experiment" with it.

Anyone have access to a copy of the TSB that apparently exists on this issue?
Old 12-21-2015, 04:31 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Have you checked the following link?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues
Old 12-21-2015, 04:56 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter
Have you checked the following link?

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues
Yes ... I did, but it doesn't have any TSB for shifter stuff. I do know I have seen something in the past with TSB for adjustment
Old 12-21-2015, 05:00 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Not sure about a TSB, but installing an MGW will fix your issue as well as bring much better shifts. I would do it yourself, its easy. 2.5hrs max.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:00 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by keeks2915
Yes ... I did, but it doesn't have any TSB for shifter stuff. I do know I have seen something in the past with TSB for adjustment
if there is any it should be there - call the dealer
Old 12-21-2015, 07:48 PM
Jpjr2016
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by mdz06vetter
if there is any it should be there - call the dealer
I have an MGW shifter on my Cobra, but so far I have not been unhappy with the stocker on the Vette. The throw isnt too long and the position is fairly comfortable. I have no issues with popping out of first gear either so far. Anyway, guess I will have to monitor.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:11 PM
v jet
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
Not sure about a TSB, but installing an MGW will fix your issue as well as bring much better shifts. I would do it yourself, its easy. 2.5hrs max.
Hey George the owner of MGW lives in my neighborhood. Will the shift stop the 1st gear issue? Mine does it occassionally. I will get him to install it.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:49 PM
fpfaeth
Burning Brakes

Received 422 Likes on 194 Posts

I had the dealer address my 'first popping out of gear' problem. A simple realignment -- also aided getting into second, which had a bit of a crunch. A quick fix. And well-known how to address. No problems now.
Old 12-21-2015, 08:54 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by keeks2915
I am planning on having redline install a MGW shifter for me shortly but want to make sure the random popping out of first will not remain.

I have searched every thread for "popping" and it seems to be an adjustment issue or a new tranny...

So.. I would like to see the TSB on the issue so I can give it to redline with my shifter. Prefer not to have the dealer "experiment" with it.

Anyone have access to a copy of the TSB that apparently exists on this issue?
FWIW I'd get the transmission fixed first while you can still get it done under warranty. It may just need a shifter adjustment but that's something that's fairly simple to do. I think there's a sticky on the forum that explains how to do it. If there's a problem in the transmission changing the shifter won't fix it.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:08 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
FWIW I'd get the transmission fixed first while you can still get it done under warranty. It may just need a shifter adjustment but that's something that's fairly simple to do. I think there's a sticky on the forum that explains how to do it. If there's a problem in the transmission changing the shifter won't fix it.
Agreed.... I just want the TSB that goes with this so I can bring to the dealer so they don't play stupid. I am just torn on having the guy I met last time "playing with the console etc" when redline does this in their sleep.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:11 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Yeah I understand where you're coming from. You might want to ask redline to adjust the stock shifter and then try it out and if that works put the MGW in afterwards. Good luck.
Herman
Old 12-21-2015, 09:46 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Keeks, I got the TSB # for you but the details are known only to the dealer:

https://www.repairprocedures.com/bul...c/4329071.html

I also do a Ctrl F search for other things that don't work to have the dealer fix them all in one stop. Also, read through the abstract for issues that you may not have noticed but exist and need fixing. Search on this page:

https://www.repairprocedures.com/ser...100302842.html

Last edited by SBC_and_a_stick; 12-21-2015 at 09:49 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 10:38 PM
keeks2915
Drifting

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Keeks, I got the TSB # for you but the details are known only to the dealer:

https://www.repairprocedures.com/bul...c/4329071.html

I also do a Ctrl F search for other things that don't work to have the dealer fix them all in one stop. Also, read through the abstract for issues that you may not have noticed but exist and need fixing. Search on this page:

https://www.repairprocedures.com/ser...100302842.html
Cheers!!!
Old 12-23-2015, 10:54 AM
v jet
Racer

George is bring me a new shifter home tonight. Merry Xmas to me!
Old 12-23-2015, 02:04 PM
The Yav
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Keeks2915,
Had the same problem...waited to put on some miles (2100) magicly the poping out of 1st gear stoped. If you don't want your dealership to tear into your car you might want to wait to you put on some miles on. The way it was explained to me road time gives the gears to mesh and break-in. No flames please it worked for me. BTW; had a BGW shifter in my C5 it rocked!
v/r
THEYAV
Old 12-23-2015, 10:54 PM
blown383c4conv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine would pop out of 3rd and 5th. Dealer got it adjusted in about 20 min and fixed it. I then installed an MGW and never looked back.
Old 12-24-2015, 05:45 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

When you put the shifter into first gear gently shove it forward while letting the clutch out just enough for it to start moving the transmission input shaft. Some times you will feel the shifter move forward just a little and then once you let the clutch fully out the transmission will not jump out of gear. This has been an issue on the Tremec's (BorgWarner before Tremec bought them) since the 97s were introduced. A lot of times they also do it when shifting into reverse but with the 7 speed this may not happen any more.

Shifters don't solve internal transmission issues so it is highly likely an MGW or any other shifter will not solve the problem. All of the shifters produced are nothing but a shaft through a hole and are not complex mechanisms like they used to be with the old 4 speed transmissions. From a functional standpoint there is little difference between them other than the size of the hole and the location of the hole along the shaft. The looks of the box containing the hole have nothing to do with how the hole works which is nothing but being a hole.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To TSB request- popping out of first

Old 12-24-2015, 06:15 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
When you put the shifter into first gear gently shove it forward while letting the clutch out just enough for it to start moving the transmission input shaft. Some times you will feel the shifter move forward just a little and then once you let the clutch fully out the transmission will not jump out of gear. This has been an issue on the Tremec's (BorgWarner before Tremec bought them) since the 97s were introduced. A lot of times they also do it when shifting into reverse but with the 7 speed this may not happen any more.

Shifters don't solve internal transmission issues so it is highly likely an MGW or any other shifter will not solve the problem. All of the shifters produced are nothing but a shaft through a hole and are not complex mechanisms like they used to be with the old 4 speed transmissions. From a functional standpoint there is little difference between them other than the size of the hole and the location of the hole along the shaft. The looks of the box containing the hole have nothing to do with how the hole works which is nothing but being a hole.

Bill
You're right about the differences in complexity for sure. When I took the old shifter out of my c3 and replaced it with a Hurst there was a lot of difference. When i put the Doug Nash in I think Hurst was the only one that had a shifter for it. Things sure have changed! I think the new shifters are a lot less likely to get out of whack and a lot easier to adjust but if there is a problem it's a lot bigger problem now.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:16 PM
v jet
Racer

[QUOTE=v jet;1591172481]George is bring me a new shifter home tonight. Merry Xmas to me![/QUOTE

George brought me a new short throw shifter home. I installed it in several hours. It is fantastic! Thank You George!
Old 12-26-2015, 07:10 PM
Babaron
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I want to make sure I understand this correctly. When I shift into first sometimes,it will go only partway into gear then stop. When I let the clutch out, it will pop out back to neutral. Car never moves. Is this what the tsb addresses, or is the above discussion more of a problem where it just comes out of gear randomly while driving in first gear?

Quick Reply: TSB request- popping out of first