C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 vs Viper ACR head to head

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 03:34 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,028 Likes on 486 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
We do have the LS time for the MP4, and it was quite slower. I think you are right in that you have to consider a 650s to get the same performance envelope. Still $300,000 new, but yes McLaren sounds better than Porsche for the same money.
Note how much faster each of these cars were than the AMG GT-S that won BDC this year.
S.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:39 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Snorman
Note how much faster each of these cars were than the AMG GT-S that won BDC this year.
S.
MT simply couldn't bring any competitors to the table. Look at Evo mag and what they can bring for a face off. Conditional on the group of cars and condition of cars it is not that surprising. I think BDC might have been the weakest of all groupings I've seen to close the year.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:39 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by NineBall
Results were as expected. Excuses to follow, as expected.

Agreed that the Z06 is a better potential daily driver. But, I don't know anyone personally that buys a $100K sports car to daily drive. Realistically, each of us that owns a car like this, also owns multiple cars. I wouldn't daily drive either car, except maybe on sunny days and when traffic was lighter than normal. You can do that in either car.
I don't think stating facts = making excuses. One is much faster on the track (as expected) and one is much more civilized on the road (as expected).

It's simple really...what compromise do you prefer?

IMHO, the overall package of the C7Z is better...It does 'more' things well, but others may disagree. Let us not forget the $30k+ premium for the ACR.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:42 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by soulsea
Did Dodge figure out the reason behind the high rate of Gen V engine failures and resolve it? Also the reason for the unusually high oil consumption?
Supposedly the '15+ cars are fixed but I think some of the Viper guys are still paranoid about it happening to the newer cars too.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:46 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Received 107 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ZoratZ06
I don't think stating facts = making excuses. One is much faster on the track (as expected) and one is much more civilized on the road (as expected).

It's simple really...what compromise do you prefer?

IMHO, the overall package of the C7Z is better...It does 'more' things well, but others may disagree. Let us not forget the $30k+ premium for the ACR.
You are mistaking the use of "facts" with opinion.

Faster lap time = Fact. Legitimate, measurable data.
Price Difference = Fact. Legitimate, measurable data.
Ride quality = Opinion. Subjective.
Civilized = Opinion. Subjective.

Opinions don't really matter, since everyone has their own preference. Some people prefer stiffer ride quality, some do not. Neither is fact. I understand that people are typically not going to change their opinion either way. I prefer to stick with the facts, personally.
The following 2 users liked this post by NineBall:
Dominic Toretto (01-08-2016), sam90lx (01-10-2016)
evo8power
Racer

Received 139 Likes on 32 Posts

"So for an additional $30K the ACR is slower to 60, a car or 2 behind through the 1/4, and has 10 mph or so less top speed than my removable roof, climate controlled Z06?

The ACR compromises quite a bit for those 3 seconds around the circuit. The ACR is better in some areas, but dominate? Not hardly."

I think he summed it up the best!
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Results were as expected. Excuses to follow, as expected.

Agreed that the Z06 is a better potential daily driver. But, I don't know anyone personally that buys a $100K sports car to daily drive. Realistically, each of us that owns a car like this, also owns multiple cars. I wouldn't daily drive either car, except maybe on sunny days and when traffic was lighter than normal. You can do that in either car.
I have to disagree. I drive it everywhere except Burning Man. 15,000 miles in 12 months. There are many users on this forum that drive it on par with their other cars or full time. About 3 in 4 people I had in the 'Vette I would never give a ride in an ACR. About 2 in 4 miles I drove in the 'Vette I wouldn't have done in an ACR myself.

The aero, the suspension, the drone, and the lack of headroom are a huge deal breaker for the street. Half of those are a problem in any Viper.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:51 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

I have to disagree. I drive it everywhere except Burning Man. 15,000 miles in 12 months. There are many users on this forum that drive it on par with their other cars or full time. About 3 in 4 people I had in the 'Vette I would never give a ride in an ACR. About 2 in 4 miles I drove in the 'Vette I wouldn't have done in an ACR myself.

The aero, the suspension, the drone, and the lack of headroom are a huge deal breaker for the street. Half of those are a problem in any Viper.
I'd say you aren't the normal case here. There are always outlying members that do more than others. I put 11K miles on my first Gen 5 Viper, in the first year. I also don't consider that normal for the demographic. I drove the second Gen 5 Viper on Power Tour, 3000 miles in a single week. Again, not usual.

But tell the truth here, do you have another vehicle that also serves as a daily driver? I drive a lot, probably average 35,000 miles a year on my vehicles. It is all relative.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:51 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CFHay
Supposedly the '15+ cars are fixed but I think some of the Viper guys are still paranoid about it happening to the newer cars too.
I had a 2013 , and it was stout. Beat it up pretty hard. It never burned any oil too.I think it was just a batch of cars that had issues. My new ACR Extreme is good too. So is my track duty 2010 ACR..
Old 01-07-2016, 03:55 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by LEE427
I had a 2013 , and it was stout. Beat it up pretty hard. It never burned any oil too.I think it was just a batch of cars that had issues. My new ACR Extreme is good too. So is my track duty 2010 ACR..
I think it's pretty hard to deny that there has been a relatively high rate of engine failures in the Gen V Vipers. It is what it is and it shouldn't stop somebody from buying the car. It seems like it has mostly been '13-'14 cars but time will tell.
S.
Old 01-07-2016, 03:59 PM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by LEE427
How are you liking the ACR-E vs the 2010? It's incredible that they've basically got ACR-X numbers out of the new car
Old 01-07-2016, 04:00 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Sean, what's been taking down the new Viper engines?

I'm more familiar with the older ones, and those mills seem to be quite stout.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:03 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

I think it's pretty hard to deny that there has been a relatively high rate of engine failures in the Gen V Vipers. It is what it is and it shouldn't stop somebody from buying the car. It seems like it has mostly been '13-'14 cars but time will tell.
S.
I think it's pretty hard to deny that both cars have had their own issues. I've not seen GM or Dodge fail on the warranty coverage though, so stuff like this doesn't scare me. It would be different if Corvettes and Vipers were failing, and the manufacturers weren't stepping up. But, it appears both are good, in that regard. Dodge did mention that the spun rod bearings were a result of trash found in the oil filters, from being improperly machined at some point. They are keeping a watchful eye on the 13-14 cars. The speculation is that they know which batch of cars "might" be affected, but they are just letting warranty deal with issues as they are reported. Seems very random.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:04 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

I'd say you aren't the normal case here. There are always outlying members that do more than others. I put 11K miles on my first Gen 5 Viper, in the first year. I also don't consider that normal for the demographic. I drove the second Gen 5 Viper on Power Tour, 3000 miles in a single week. Again, not usual.

But tell the truth here, do you have another vehicle that also serves as a daily driver? I drive a lot, probably average 35,000 miles a year on my vehicles. It is all relative.
Nope. One and only car. Drive it to work everyday. It's far more street friendly than the Honda S2000.

You have to ask the right question. Why don't some of the Corvette owners drive their car more? I think it's mostly because it is more expensive than their other cars, not because it's not practical or luxurious enough. You have to basically live in the snow to not find the 'Vette a good daily driver.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:05 PM
AdPock
CorvetteForum Editor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Front Page Coverage

Thought the front page crowd would find this one interesting too...
https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...n-head-2-head/
Old 01-07-2016, 04:07 PM
NineBall
Safety Car

Nope. One and only car. Drive it to work everyday. It's far more street friendly than the Honda S2000.

You have to ask the right question. Why don't some of the Corvette owners drive their car more? I think it's mostly because it is more expensive than their other cars, not because it's not practical or luxurious enough. You have to basically live in the snow to not find the 'Vette a good daily driver.
Glad to hear you are enjoying the car! But again, you are an anomaly. There is a reason most used C7Z's on the market only have 2K or less miles. Same with Vipers. People should certainly drive them more! But as the Video suggested, the Viper makes an excellent 5th car. Or 8th car, in my case.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:07 PM
Snorman
Scraping the splitter.
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by OnPoint
Sean, what's been taking down the new Viper engines?

I'm more familiar with the older ones, and those mills seem to be quite stout.
There has been lots of talk of debris from the machining process of the block circulating in the oiling system. This led to excessive oil consumption and shortly thereafter, engine failure. When I was paying more attention last year, there were about 15-17 failures documented on the VOA. There have been a number of engine-replaced cars for sale including a few recently for VERY attractive prices. Some members who may or may not have been reliable claimed that there were upwards of 2-3 dozen failures. They started a failure list, but the mods intervened and are trying to ad some order and "troll proof" it (imagine that, lol).

As long as Dodge is still supporting the warranty, I don't think it's something that should stop somebody from buying one as they seem to have replaced failed engines without issue.
S.

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 vs Viper ACR head to head

Old 01-07-2016, 04:11 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

There has been lots of talk of debris from the machining process of the block circulating in the oiling system. This led to excessive oil consumption and shortly thereafter, engine failure. When I was paying more attention last year, there were about 15-17 failures documented on the VOA. There have been a number of engine-replaced cars for sale including a few recently for VERY attractive prices. Some members who may or may not have been reliable claimed that there were upwards of 2-3 dozen failures. They started a failure list, but the mods intervened and are trying to ad some order and "troll proof" it (imagine that, lol).

As long as Dodge is still supporting the warranty, I don't think it's something that should stop somebody from buying one as they seem to have replaced failed engines without issue.
S.

Seems like a replaced-engine Viper would be a good way to pick one up to hammer on the track.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:12 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

You are mistaking the use of "facts" with opinion.

Faster lap time = Fact. Legitimate, measurable data.
Price Difference = Fact. Legitimate, measurable data.
Ride quality = Opinion. Subjective.
Civilized = Opinion. Subjective.

Opinions don't really matter, since everyone has their own preference. Some people prefer stiffer ride quality, some do not. Neither is fact. I understand that people are typically not going to change their opinion either way. I prefer to stick with the facts, personally.
Is it also my opinion that the ACR has a removable TRACK ONLY front splitter (per Dodge) to help make it go faster around a track?? To our knowledge those lap records were set WITH the splitter ON...so if you want to be 'like that' and talk FACTS only, then we have to disqualify the Vipers 'record time' because it was using NON-streetable parts, i.e. the front splitter. FACT. I'm not being an a**, I'm just taking your 'hard lined' righteous approach, approach. Which is silly.

Stiffer ride is NOT opinion...it's fact. The opinion portion of that 'might' be that some (likely very few) people prefer a harsh stiff ride, but MOST do not. Hence why many manufacturers are going to mag ride...(can't image why)...LOL. ACR is a nice track car...but sounds like a dump truck...LOL...I couldn't resist. I do like the Viper...but as I previously said, IMHO, the Vette is the better ALL ROUND car.
Old 01-07-2016, 04:16 PM
LEE427
V10LEE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

S.
Yes it is what it is . I'm always lucky with my cars. Even the valves on my LS7 are still nice and tight .

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 vs Viper ACR head to head