C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Commercial Signal to Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:31 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default Commercial Signal to Noise

I logged on this morning and literally 80% of the threads were commercials:

1) Kooks Headers
2) Corsa Exhaust
3) Akrapovic Exhaust
4) DeWitts Radiator
5) Discount on LPE pulley
6) Billet fluid caps
7) Tire/wheel package
8) CHUCK CAN TUNE YOUR TRANS OMG DON'T WAIT
9) Gorilla nuts (too scared to open it)

And that's just above the fold. There was one thread above the fold that wasn't a sticky or an advertisement.

Now I get supporting the board vendors and I enjoy finding out about new stuff, but you guys are drowning out your own content.

Nobody owes me anything, this site is free. I'm just pointing it out because I've seen bigger sites (Download.com as an example) go south when they oversaturated their users.

So... thanks for the site, please consider a commercial subforum. Or some reasonable limits.

Last edited by davepl; 03-09-2016 at 12:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:39 PM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts

It gets worse on the tech/performance sub-forum at times.

I do appreciate unique threads about parts when they provide a lot of technical info or some way to learn new information. But most of the vendor threads are just sales advertisements.
Old 03-09-2016, 12:57 PM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

God forbid if you criticize them.... (vendors)
Old 03-09-2016, 02:05 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree and not lumped into c7. Z specific section for buy and sell would be great
Old 03-09-2016, 08:25 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 982 Likes on 625 Posts

Here you go again waa waa waa is that really a big effort to move the wheel on your mouse and not click on the ads? Jeez

Last edited by feeder82; 03-09-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 08:52 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by feeder82
Here you go again waa waa waa is that really a big effort to move the wheel on your mouse and not click on the ads? Jeez
No, but reading your whining took a few minutes off my life.

It's not hard work to fast forward through an ad on my TiVo either, but if ads were 50 minutes of every hour show, then you'd have about what we have here. Crisis of epic proportions? Clearly not. Annoying? Yeah, it is.

Last edited by davepl; 03-09-2016 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:04 PM
BearZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 1,349 Likes on 779 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'22-'23

Originally Posted by feeder82
They pay for our forum. Just scroll on down if you're not interested just like with any other thread that doesn't interest you.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:06 AM
hootowlc7
Burning Brakes

Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Many of these forums are bought up by one company in Canada. They have been buying them up for years now. Private guy starts a forum.... he builds it up with the untiring help of a bunch of unpaid moderators. Once the site has a very large following, the company comes in and buys it. After that it becomes commercial central. I saw it happen more than once. It's simple free enterprise. The losers are the moderators and the subscribers wallowing through the advertisements and slow loading pages packed with ads. The winners are the guy that sold the site... often 6 figures, and the company that now owns the site. Advertising revenue is big money today. Currently, while not big money, I get 2-300 dollars a month from You Tube.... just from people clicking on my videos. I do nothing but upload videos.

Last edited by hootowlc7; 03-10-2016 at 06:07 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:24 AM
Gomer
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Speaking for myself only, a couple of those threads are the reason I am here today. In particular, the DeWitts thread where the owner of the company is giving detailed information about the installation of something that is important to me. While this may not be important to you, it is very important to me and I for one appreciate the information in that thread. Thank you for not hammering him to where he is reticent to make additional posts that are important to me.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 AM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gomer
Speaking for myself only, a couple of those threads are the reason I am here today. In particular, the DeWitts thread where the owner of the company is giving detailed information about the installation of something that is important to me. While this may not be important to you, it is very important to me and I for one appreciate the information in that thread. Thank you for not hammering him to where he is reticent to make additional posts that are important to me.
There is a huge difference between threads about product development, that contain very specific product data and show the community the engineering/development process and threads that are just selling parts on a web site. We need more of the first and less of the second.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:19 AM
Gomer
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by schaibaa
There is a huge difference between threads about product development, that contain very specific product data and show the community the engineering/development process and threads that are just selling parts on a web site. We need more of the first and less of the second.
I don't disagree with that but OP included the Sponsor post I was talking about so that is what I specifically addressed.

Last edited by Gomer; 03-10-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:20 AM
schaibaa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Gomer
I don't disagree with that but OP included the Sponsor post I was talking about so that is what I specifically addressed.
Agreed

Get notified of new replies

To Commercial Signal to Noise

Quick Reply: Commercial Signal to Noise