C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 Main Cat Delete Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 11:20 AM
RoxyCarter
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

There is a mini cat element inside that hole... so the air still gets catted before the actual sensor reads it... you must get 02 sims, which it sounds like you have now.

Last edited by RoxyCarter; 11-11-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:20 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 209 Likes on 159 Posts

There is nothing inside these 90 degree adaptors except air. Label on small blister pack says BID DADDIES GARAGE 02 simulator Cel fix and then a statement about the 1990 clean air act & only for use on non road vehicles race vehicles.
Old 11-11-2018, 10:20 PM
RoxyCarter
Instructor

Sounds like you are missing something then. You still need the o2 sim sensors. Have you contacted big daddy the vendor? I know they lack a phone number, had to email them before.

Last edited by RoxyCarter; 11-11-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:10 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Norcal do you know if big Daddies has stopped putting the cat material inside their adaptors?? Roxy, no phone number or e-mail listed. There is some info on internet that restricted 90 degree elbow works???? Definitely info on how to build your own with a resistor and capacitor though.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:55 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Not going to have to worry about the adaptors anymore as I decided to do a full HP Tuners tune on the car after the cat delete pipes go on..

Last edited by jstewart; 11-13-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:15 PM
RoxyCarter
Instructor

Sounds good, keep us posted
Old 11-13-2018, 07:56 PM
spoolin98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by RoxyCarter
Sounds like you are missing something then. You still need the o2 sim sensors. Have you contacted big daddy the vendor? I know they lack a phone number, had to email them before.
Ive been following this for a long time and don't recall anything about sim sensors. I believe the big daddies bungs are just 90* fittings that limit how much exhaust the factory 02 sensors see.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by spoolin98
Ive been following this for a long time and don't recall anything about sim sensors. I believe the big daddies bungs are just 90* fittings that limit how much exhaust the factory 02 sensors see.
Funny but the straight Big Daddies actually are pictured with the cat inserts in a cutaway picture. Why would anyone buying the 90 degree cat simulators think they did not include the inserts??
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 04:24 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

thats strange... who did you buy them from?

Can you take pictures of the 90, and upload them?

Last edited by Mikec7z; 11-14-2018 at 04:25 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:46 AM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I bought them directly from Big Daddies.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:25 AM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

i would return them directly to big daddy's lol... question is, how do you get a hold of them for your refund?
Old 11-14-2018, 04:13 PM
TOPSPOT
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

If I am not mistaken, you use the sensors from the car and insert it into the big daddy 90 degree angle piece. Mine came without anything as well but when I picked up my pipes from the mechanic, there was nothing in the stock cats. I have not thrown a code for over 500 miles
Mikec7z (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 06:22 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

perhaps the small RING to the inlet hole is made out of the necessary cat material to do the job and keep the 02's happy? It would make sense, its probably the same size as any hole that the air passes though in the cat, plus it has much much less flow to have to react with.

TOPSPOT, was your car tuned or still factory tune?

Last edited by Mikec7z; 11-14-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:25 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by jstewart
Not going to have to worry about the adaptors anymore as I decided to do a full HP Tuners tune on the car after the cat delete pipes go on..
not to tell you what to do, but if you do a baseline dyno before pipes and stock tune, and then a dyno after the pipes are on... and then have them unlock the tune and start tuning it post that best graph...

Those would be 3 very useful dyno graphs all taken on the same day perhaps. Then no one could argue its the tune making the gains, or visa versa, you'd have it broken down perfectly.

What is your plan for the x pipe? Cant shut off COT without taking that cat off too... and then the car gets VERY loud.

Reason i bring this up... if COT deactivation is what you are chasing and is why you decided to HP tune... know what you are really in for... those x pipe cats have to be protected still, or they have to be removed.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 11-14-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:27 PM
TOPSPOT
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
perhaps the small RING to the inlet hole is made out of the necessary material to do the job and keep the 02's happy?

TOPSPOT, was your car tuned or still factory tune?
Perhaps it is?

I am still on the factory tune. Have gone WOT a couple of times but I have not gone into COT which is very interesting to me because i definitely Lost power and threw a code when I did the ported TB, Borla X-Pipe and Halltech CAI but with this setup I have no issues.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:38 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

you wont KNOW you went into COT

I am going to go out on a limb and say, you are almost always in COT at WOT...

You can see it on every stock tune car dyno on this forum. Youll see the AFR drop from 12.5 to 10.8 or something near those numbers.

The 10.8 usually is occurring by 4500 rpm. That IS cot. Your car has more power, that can only be noticed once the stock tune is removed and COT is shut off.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:32 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by TOPSPOT
Perhaps it is?

I am still on the factory tune. Have gone WOT a couple of times but I have not gone into COT which is very interesting to me because i definitely Lost power and threw a code when I did the ported TB, Borla X-Pipe and Halltech CAI but with this setup I have no issues.
did your car go into limp mode up around 140+mph? Was it a cooler day/night? You are at sea level... ill explain later... but...

If it was mad about code p0106... there is a reflash from GM out to solve that if you have a 17 or newer year car. They won't do it for 16 and 15s it seems. If you have a 17+, and you've had the reflash done already... then we will continue to talk if your car is still going into limp mode.

If it was mad about code p228c or (p089 or something) let me know too.

Should be on your service report when you took it in for service. If you never did, just take off your intake and TB and go in there and tell them the date and ask them if there is a solution... and you want the p0106 reflash, some guy on the forum told you that is your issue and you want it solved.

After they do that, put your intake and TB back on and go fast again when its cold.

If it keeps doing limp modes after the reflash, or if you have a 15, 16 or 19.. hit me up. You are in the cool kid group And there is a lot to discuss

This all has nothing to do with cot. cot is not limp mode, aka "reduced engine power" and your car has less acceleration than a prius all the sudden.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 11-15-2018 at 03:39 PM.
TOPSPOT (11-19-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To C7 Z06 Main Cat Delete Kit

Old 11-18-2018, 07:10 PM
jstewart
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

not to tell you what to do, but if you do a baseline dyno before pipes and stock tune, and then a dyno after the pipes are on... and then have them unlock the tune and start tuning it post that best graph...

Those would be 3 very useful dyno graphs all taken on the same day perhaps. Then no one could argue its the tune making the gains, or visa versa, you'd have it broken down perfectly.

What is your plan for the x pipe? Cant shut off COT without taking that cat off too... and then the car gets VERY loud.

Reason i bring this up... if COT deactivation is what you are chasing and is why you decided to HP tune... know what you are really in for... those x pipe cats have to be protected still, or they have to be removed.
Yes Mike I would like to do 3 separate dyno pulls to show the information but it won't happen because of time constraints. As far as the mid pipe cats I don't have any because I changed out the mid-pipes to Borlas way back when I was doing the big 3 mods one at a time and dyno testing after each change. You followed those tests closely and I confirmed for myself that the car was adjusting to the changes and the HP & TQ gains were not nearly what the aftermarket was claiming after driving the car just as you predicted. I am now going to go ahead and install my 18% over lower pulley/balancer, port the stock supercharger & snout, install my 95mm ported Mamo T.B., install the Norco cat delete pipes and have the car tuned with HP tuners. I would really like to do this in stages like I did before but some personal time constraints are getting in the way.
Mikec7z (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 08:47 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

the norcal and lack of cats in the exhaust are your friend... they bring the MAP pressure down, so you MIGHT be able to run the car without a tune. I would try to drive it for a couple days. It will have CEL, but just ignore it and drive it. It MIGHT learn the mods. If it can... keep your warranty man

Also, a crazy trick i learned along the way and meant to post about... i can thank the dealer for teaching me this one...

the 4 bolts in the middle of the supercharger lid... EVERYONE with a stock tune should loosen those up to let the air escape slightly. Then when a good race presents itself, tighten them back down quick, and the car will have LEARNED the less psi and less airflow mode with them loose, and then tightening them is like throwing the intake or air filter on the car right before the race. The bolts are easy and convenient to play with is the difference. A quick 1 or 2 psi bump that the car runs lean when it sees at first, and creates more power.

I found this out because my bolts on my SC are lose very often after my car leaves the dealership. GM advised them to keep those middle ones loose to keep the boost level down, so my car would not call for so much fuel.

I can tell a power difference with them loose vs tight.

Last edited by Mikec7z; 11-18-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:37 AM
6Speeder
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 217 Posts

the norcal and lack of cats in the exhaust are your friend... they bring the MAP pressure down, so you MIGHT be able to run the car without a tune. I would try to drive it for a couple days. It will have CEL, but just ignore it and drive it. It MIGHT learn the mods. If it can... keep your warranty man

Also, a crazy trick i learned along the way and meant to post about... i can thank the dealer for teaching me this one...

the 4 bolts in the middle of the supercharger lid... EVERYONE with a stock tune should loosen those up to let the air escape slightly. Then when a good race presents itself, tighten them back down quick, and the car will have LEARNED the less psi and less airflow mode with them loose, and then tightening them is like throwing the intake or air filter on the car right before the race. The bolts are easy and convenient to play with is the difference. A quick 1 or 2 psi bump that the car runs lean when it sees at first, and creates more power.

I found this out because my bolts on my SC are lose very often after my car leaves the dealership. GM advised them to keep those middle ones loose to keep the boost level down, so my car would not call for so much fuel.

I can tell a power difference with them loose vs tight.
Why in the world are you telling people such stupid things????

First of all, the car does not "LEARN" when it's in WOT, because it's in open loop and just reads a table, not adjusting from that.

Second, all you are doing, if anything, is reducing your power by bleeding off boost when loose. It does not give you more boost when you tighten the bolts then it would have if the bolts were already tight all the time. It does not "LEARN" to bring the boost back to stock levels when loose, nor add more than stock when retightened. It doesn't work that way.

Third, loosening the bolts, causing an air leak after the supercharger will NOT cause it to run lean, if anything it will run rich. It only knows how much air is being inhaled at the MAF and adds fuel accordingly (from lookup tables, NOT learning when open loop). If you bleed off air the injectors will still be adding enough fuel for what the MAF read, and you will be running rich. Stupid.

Let me repeat, it does not learn when in WOT or open loop. Does not happen.

One thing I agree with you on, you probably do feel less power with loose bolts cutting boost and running rich.

Please, please, show us what GM has said about this. I'd LOVE to see this in writing.
The following 2 users liked this post by 6Speeder:
3 Z06ZR1 (11-19-2018), Mikec7z (11-19-2018)

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 Main Cat Delete Kit