C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Those of you with non-runflats

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 10:25 AM
Hershey71
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I carry a Kevlar painters suit ( no point in getting the car dirty after rolling around on the ground ), folded and rolled tightly, pliers, plug kit and small air compressor, 15mm nylon sleeved deep well socket, for the tire guy ( just in case he doesn't have one ) and it all fits in the cubby hole .

Last edited by Hershey71; 04-09-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:17 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,700 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by Hershey71
I carry a Kevlar painters suit ( no point in getting the car dirty after rolling around on the ground ), folded and rolled tightly, pliers, plug kit and small air compressor, 15mm nylon sleeved deep well socket, for the tire guy ( just in case he doesn't have one ) and it all fits in the cubby hole .
I carry a 19mm deep well socket. fits the 19mm lug nuts better.

A 3/4" socket works just as well as it's only .002" larger(half the thickness of a sheet of paper).
The following users liked this post:
Hershey71 (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 02:55 PM
Hershey71
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

A 3/4" socket works just as well as it's only .002" larger(half the thickness of a sheet of paper).
Sorry, I wasn't up to the task of going and looking, couldn't remember the MM size. Thanks for clarifying though
Old 04-09-2016, 03:26 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Jus Cruisin
I carry a tire plug kit in all my vehicles. I don't have a mini air compressor. Over the years I've plugged maybe 20 tires including a couple Corvettes. Most of the time I'd drive to somewhere there was air and pull nail or whatever and plug the tire. I also carry pliers so I have something to actually pull the nail out. No big deal and I don't worry about it at all.
On non run flat tires in these sizes. If you drive anywhere more than to the side of the road. You won't have to worry the tire will be toast.
Runflats your ok.
But I don't care for runflats but the newest ones are pretty good
compared with the old ones.

I like Michelin SS non-run flat. It only comes in 325/20 275/19
but those sizes work well.

Seems to me the best tire to get.

No issues nothing a better ride little less noise! I forgot less expensive and 4 pounds less weight on each rear 3 off each front.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 04-09-2016 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 03:35 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
On non run flat tires in these sizes. If you drive anywhere more than to the side of the road. You won't have to worry the tire will be toast.
Runflats your ok.
But I don't care for runflats but the newest ones are pretty good
compared with the old ones.

I like Michelin SS non-run flat. It only comes in 325/20 275/19
but those sizes work well.

Seems to me the best tire to get.

No issues nothing a better ride little less noise! I forgot less expensive and 4 pounds less weight on each rear 3 off each front.
Sudden failure and it is likely toast anyway. Slow leak is more likely and the TPMS/DIC should give warning. I've not had any problems with the Z06 tires, but two slow leaks on the Forester that I do back country driving with and have used the inflator to get me home with no plug until home.

No question any of us can come up with some scenario that non-ZP's won't get you home and I can come up with several that ZP's won't get you home or even to civilization without a tow/mail shipment in of a new tire.

Life is too short to worry about everything that might happen. Here in the West the most important thing is to have drinkable water to survive a few days!
Old 04-09-2016, 09:17 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by 2016 Z06
I honestly have never experienced that.
Yup. Onstar used att' cellular network. It has a much much better antenna than your cellphone but there are dead zones.
Old 04-10-2016, 04:30 AM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5

What do you need a socket for unless you have a jack and spare front and rear?
Old 04-10-2016, 10:25 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Edwardz
What do you need a socket for unless you have a jack and spare front and rear?
Maybe "might" have the tow truck guy jack up the car, take off the wheel to patch? That's why I carry a can of TPMS friendly Slime, although that would be my last choice after air compressor and plug kit.

If you really worry too much about potential issues that could come up with non-ZP's, they are probably not good for you. Many are oblivious to the possible problems with ZP's and are very happy not worrying about those small percentage possible problems.

Just as an FYI, our Forester came with a space saver spare. We do a lot of rough back country unpaved "roads". Even the National Park Service warns about flats in some of the areas we go to and say that a tow could cost $1-2K in those areas. The spacesaver spare would get the car off the dirt, but not out of many places we go with the Forester. I carry a full-size mounted spare in it always and when we do the rough back country stuff, I take a 2nd mounted full-size spare, my small floor jack, my Z06 kit of inflator, plug kit and Slime and bring tools and my battery powered impact wrench, so I could be on my way in 10 minutes. I've had to use the inflator a couple of times, but I expect that I will really need the full sized spare due to those "road" conditions.

I am satisfied I'll be OK and survive with my non-ZP's and my emergency kit in the ZP's. I sleep well.
Old 04-10-2016, 12:52 PM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by AzDave47
Maybe "might" have the tow truck guy jack up the car, take off the wheel to patch? That's why I carry a can of TPMS friendly Slime, although that would be my last choice after air compressor and plug kit.

If you really worry too much about potential issues that could come up with non-ZP's, they are probably not good for you. Many are oblivious to the possible problems with ZP's and are very happy not worrying about those small percentage possible problems.

Just as an FYI, our Forester came with a space saver spare. We do a lot of rough back country unpaved "roads". Even the National Park Service warns about flats in some of the areas we go to and say that a tow could cost $1-2K in those areas. The spacesaver spare would get the car off the dirt, but not out of many places we go with the Forester. I carry a full-size mounted spare in it always and when we do the rough back country stuff, I take a 2nd mounted full-size spare, my small floor jack, my Z06 kit of inflator, plug kit and Slime and bring tools and my battery powered impact wrench, so I could be on my way in 10 minutes. I've had to use the inflator a couple of times, but I expect that I will really need the full sized spare due to those "road" conditions.

I am satisfied I'll be OK and survive with my non-ZP's and my emergency kit in the ZP's. I sleep well.
I am running sottozero non run flat tires and did get a puncture,a big hole that deflated the tire in about 15 minutes. It was very nice to be able to inflate to 35 psi and drive to a known shop to plug. I have a temp plug kit that I would have used if I was farther away . I just stopped once or twice to inflate at 25psi. I think it is much better to be prepared than "just call AAA".
Old 04-10-2016, 01:55 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Last Saturday I waited 3-4 hours for the AAA truck, I wasn't impressed, so that's not always viable.

As noted many cars come with no spare AND no run flats. My E46 M3 comes with a can of (now certainly expired) tire goo and a compressor. I think my wife's Escalade is the same. So I wouldn't worry too much if I carried a patch kit and a can of fix-a-flat.
Old 04-10-2016, 03:52 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I drive I would say an easy 40-50k per year 6 cars and trucks. Maybe 1 flat every 5 years. I buy new tires a lot.

Tires at 2 to 3 /32's are gone and deliver half the traction. Tires are the only thing keeping you on the road.
Learned a lot from my friendly tire dealing brother.

Not really my brother but he ships tires and wheels for me. Once sent a set of 4 ZR1 wheels and tires for 40.00 bucks to texas now he send a set to new York for 120.00.
He gives me great discounts. I might be at 15 k in tires with him

He recommends great stuff and he is perfect with my Corvette wheels.
He swap's all 4 rims out in 45 minutes. Road force balance I get perfect tire service.

I change them earlier than I used to and it is the best way. Your NOT saving money with old tires.

The Michelin SS non run flat 325 rear 275 front .2 tenths shorter but .2 tenths wider rear. over the stock 335.

Save 4 pounds each rear and 3 each front after more miles they seem better than the Zp's. Plus 500 cheaper.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 04-10-2016 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: Those of you with non-runflats