C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Anyone upgraded '15 to add GPS and CarPlay?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 07:58 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Anyone upgraded '15 to add GPS and CarPlay?

I see where it's an easy upgrade now. I am definitely excited about this.

https://navrepair.com/collections/bu...pgrade-service
Old 04-07-2016, 08:54 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

It's my understanding, unless something has changed, that it's a pretty invasive replacement of the core hardware.

Because I've never seen CarPlay, I do have a noob question on it: can it then run all iPhone apps on your AV stack, or just a certain set of Apple ones? Like do I have to run Apple Maps or could I run Google Maps or Waze, for example?

I'd pay up perhaps if it'll run any app, but Apple Maps isn't my favorite at the moment.

Here's a coupon code for their site:

GIVEME10

Last edited by davepl; 04-07-2016 at 08:56 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,024 Likes on 1,693 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
It's my understanding, unless something has changed, that it's a pretty invasive replacement of the core hardware.

Because I've never seen CarPlay, I do have a noob question on it: can it then run all iPhone apps on your AV stack, or just a certain set of Apple ones? Like do I have to run Apple Maps or could I run Google Maps or Waze, for example?

I'd pay up perhaps if it'll run any app, but Apple Maps isn't my favorite at the moment.

Here's a coupon code for their site:

GIVEME10
It Seems to run a predetermined set of Apple apps, including text. It disables visible text but enables reading them to you and voice dictation. I do not beleive you can use other apps like Waze. Having said that, it is pretty slick, but the downside is you have to be hard wire (usb) connected via armrest ports to run Apple Play. I wish it would run via Bluetooth.
The following users liked this post:
davepl (04-08-2016)
Old 04-07-2016, 11:25 PM
ZR-1DUDE
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
It Seems to run a predetermined set of Apple apps, including text. It disables visible text but enables reading them to you and voice dictation. I do not beleive you can use other apps like Waze. Having said that, it is pretty slick, but the downside is you have to be hard wire (usb) connected via armrest ports to run Apple Play. I wish it would run via Bluetooth.
Audible works - great for listening to audiobooks.

Maybe Waze will be Car Play capable soon.

D.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:39 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

That's disappointing, I assumed it'd run from my pocket (bluetooth) and give me everything my phone did, but in the dash, which it clearly doesn't do.

Still cool, wish I had it, but I'm not likely to rip the car apart to get it. Cool that someone gives us the option though!
Old 04-08-2016, 12:57 PM
Monkey D. Luffy
Race Director

Received 716 Likes on 472 Posts

Waze doesn't show on the screen, however if you're running iheart radio, the voice directions and hazard (police ) alerts from waze play over the speakers

Last edited by Monkey D. Luffy; 04-08-2016 at 12:58 PM.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:08 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
That's disappointing, I assumed it'd run from my pocket (bluetooth) and give me everything my phone did, but in the dash, which it clearly doesn't do.

Still cool, wish I had it, but I'm not likely to rip the car apart to get it. Cool that someone gives us the option though!
I agree. I can live with the small set of apps, but to plug in my phone and unplug it for a 25 minute ride is not likely. The problem is I just get in and go and forget to plug it in. Now having said that, it will definitely be plugged in for a road Trip!
Old 04-09-2016, 08:18 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

I thought this write up on Apple CarPlay (in a Stingray no less) did a good job of breaking it down: http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-carplay-2015-9
Old 04-09-2016, 08:52 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I posted this earlier in the week...

"
From what I've been told by someone who knows and PMd me about it months ago instead of posting publicly (so I'll keep the user anonymous) it's a massive hardware change.

Now that I have a 2016 Tahoe with CarPlay I can tell you that it is in fact a massive hardware change because all aspects of the unit run much much faster. I believe it's several pieces of hardware that would have to be changed and then magically programmed to work. Now the Z feels like a real slug....only infotainment wise of course! "Come on Come on get out of backup camera so I can activate the damn PDR already!".

Further more... I too was all obsessed with the idea of adding Carplay to my 2015 (which is why I got the PM). After having it in the Tahoe I can tell you, while it's neat, it's definitely not a big deal or much of an upgrade when you consider you can use the "hey siri" prompt to do most things anyway. That said if Waze ever becomes CarPlay compatible I will then once again obsess about changing the hardware.

Hope this is helpful.

Best,
Gene "
Old 04-10-2016, 05:54 PM
C5-VERT
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 280 Likes on 213 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Honestly plugging a phone in to USB (and will charge my phone also) isn't a big deal hell I plug mine in to charge every time I put my phone in the car anyway. Is that the only downside? Just no bluetooth? I guess I will need to research this a bit more...

That site also has the NAV conversion which I watched the entire video it seemed pretty simple. That alone to me seems like a nice upgrade for the price to have NAV fully enabled full-time and I don't have to always use onstar.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone upgraded '15 to add GPS and CarPlay?

Quick Reply: Anyone upgraded '15 to add GPS and CarPlay?