C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Just Installed AFE CAI - Dyno Numbers

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 01:11 PM
04SeaFive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Just Installed AFE CAI - Dyno Numbers

I just got back from the speed shop after installing an AFE CAI on my 2015 Z06 with 8600 miles. The dyno numbers are amazing.

Outside temperature was 88 degrees with 35% humidity. The dyno numbers for the stock Z06 were 573 rwhp/582 # torque which is really good and only shows a horsepower loss of a little less than 12% from GM reported 650 crank to rear wheels and 10% on torque.

After CAI install and tune, the car returned 636 rwhp/619 # torque. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but using the same differences on the stock numbers, then that should equate to 712/681# torque at the crank.

The tuner told me if the outside temperature was in the 50s-60s, that the increases would have been even more dramatic. Personally, I think a 63 rwhp is dramatic enough. These Z06s are astoundingly fast.
Old 05-26-2016, 01:17 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 04SeaFive
The tuner told me if the outside temperature was in the 50s-60s, that the increases would have been even more dramatic. Personally, I think a 63 rwhp is dramatic enough. These Z06s are astoundingly fast.
Indeed, but if the weather station on the dyno is properly set up, shouldn't it account for changes in temperature? So if the weather was colder it really shouldn't matter in the measurement, or so I thought.

Remember the low point for Corvettes was 180hp, so you picked up a third of that with an intake change!
Old 05-26-2016, 02:05 PM
jdmdohcpower
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Did you happen to do a pull with intake only? Im curious how much HP the tune actually gave on top? These intakes make so much power without the tune, was the warranty worth tossing for an addition 15hp? Unless of course you have other plans for more power adders like pulleys and headers and what not. Now personally I road course mine, not drag so after the intake I really see no reason for more power. As you said these things are so fast as it is.

Last edited by jdmdohcpower; 05-26-2016 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:09 PM
04SeaFive
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by jdmdohcpower
Did you happen to do a pull with intake only? Im curious how much HP the tune actually gave on top? These intakes make so much power without the tune, was the warranty worth tossing for an addition 15hp?
I asked for a post CAI run, but the tuner told me that the fuel/air ratios needed to be adjusted so he could not give me accurate numbers, however, the first run after CAI install was 610 rwhp, so maybe that's some indication; 37 rwhp jump.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:17 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Not surprising if GM left some power on the floor with this engine.

It's important to remember Dodge was able to get a very conservative 707hp from a motor about the same size as the Z's.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:32 PM
musclesbmf
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
Indeed, but if the weather station on the dyno is properly set up, shouldn't it account for changes in temperature? So if the weather was colder it really shouldn't matter in the measurement, or so I thought.

Remember the low point for Corvettes was 180hp, so you picked up a third of that with an intake change!
I'm sure the tuner was referring to cooler denser air coming into the motor for the additional power. There is no doubt cars are faster in cooler/denser air. Especially FI cars.
The following 2 users liked this post by musclesbmf:
04SeaFive (05-26-2016), Big Reds Z (07-02-2021)
Old 05-26-2016, 05:37 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
Not surprising if GM left some power on the floor with this engine.

It's important to remember Dodge was able to get a very conservative 707hp from a motor about the same size as the Z's.
Yea in a car with a hood line about a foot taller, it weights what about 100 lbs more?" and its in a car that's 1000 lbs heavier.
And the same 376 cubic inches is not the same as the "same size" by a long shot.

Last but not least it cost about $10.000.00 dollars more than a LT4 to replace.

Very impressive!

http://www.moparproshop.com/inc/sdetail/12462/12670

http://www.jegs.com/i/Chevrolet+Perf...FZQjgQodbtsPSQ

Last edited by dar02081961; 05-26-2016 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2016, 06:15 PM
MyfirstvetteC06
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I noticed big change in mine after installing AFE and Borla XPipe and cat back ATak. Not through yet going tomorrow to take off small cats to help with sound and no tune. If that don't help the sound next will be headers.
Did notice more HP gains !!!
Old 06-26-2021, 12:36 PM
grecoz06
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by 04SeaFive
I just got back from the speed shop after installing an AFE CAI on my 2015 Z06 with 8600 miles. The dyno numbers are amazing.

Outside temperature was 88 degrees with 35% humidity. The dyno numbers for the stock Z06 were 573 rwhp/582 # torque which is really good and only shows a horsepower loss of a little less than 12% from GM reported 650 crank to rear wheels and 10% on torque.

After CAI install and tune, the car returned 636 rwhp/619 # torque. I'm not sure if this is accurate, but using the same differences on the stock numbers, then that should equate to 712/681# torque at the crank.

glad I found this thread. I have a 16 z06, I had an AFE intake Corsa performance exhaust and supposedly a tune and only gained 35 wheel horsepower. I'm starting to suspect I either got completely ripped off or there was little to no effort put in the tune. Shop is trying to convince me to go e85 which I understand but it feels like they're holding out on me. I'm getting a Dyno Diagnostic and second opinion next week to see what the hell is my car. It just doesn't smell right to me.

Last edited by grecoz06; 06-26-2021 at 12:37 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:08 PM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Others more knowledgeable than me here will chime in with what the expected gains should be with the mods you just did. But I think that’s a good call on holding off on letting them sell you another expensive package

Last edited by need-for-speed; 06-26-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:34 PM
grecoz06
Racer

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Others more knowledgeable than me here will chime in with what the expected gains should be with the mods you just did. But I think that’s a good call on holding off on letting them sell you another expensive package
I'm seeing some pretty crazy numbers with just the AFE intake. But it seems like 30-ish horsepower is not out of the question just from the intake. Seems reasonable to me by just by bolting on the intake in the exhaust there's the 35 horsepower right there so the question is what was tuned?

regarding the shop specifically it's more than just the dyno numbers. They charged me 3 hours to install an mgw short shifter. I did several other things such as an alignment, DSC sport controller, have been swap out my lug nuts for black lug nuts and lowered the car about an inch. Everything seemed rounded up for billable hours. I'm by no means more expert but I think there's at least five hundred to a thousand of fat in the labor. Every time I ask a question my questions get immediately dismissed.

​​​​​ everybody needs to make a living and I'm always happy to pay a premium for good work , but I can't help but suspect because I'm green and it's probably obvious when I speak to them that I haven't been taken advantage of a little bit. The positive is it's forcing me to learn a lot more about tuning and just so I can speak the language a little bit more and knowing what questions to ask and not just blindly paying and trusting people.

Old 07-02-2021, 08:37 PM
grecoz06
Racer

Originally Posted by need-for-speed
Just had an xpipe installed and got a dyno diagnostic, not a tune yet. Guy said it looks like I have a very lean tune and I'm cutting power around 5900-6000. He said his tuning style is more on the richer side than lean.

I'm going to do a griptec 2.3 pully, heat exchanger (hopefully keep her cooler so I'm not cutting power) and a re-tune. Parts ordered, probably in 2 weeks. I'll report back.
The following users liked this post:
need-for-speed (07-02-2021)
Old 07-03-2021, 01:33 PM
RegnaR
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 194 Posts

what heat exchanger are you going to go with?
Old 07-03-2021, 02:16 PM
Svtracer14
Racer

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by grecoz06
Just had an xpipe installed and got a dyno diagnostic, not a tune yet. Guy said it looks like I have a very lean tune and I'm cutting power around 5900-6000. He said his tuning style is more on the richer side than lean.

I'm going to do a griptec 2.3 pully, heat exchanger (hopefully keep her cooler so I'm not cutting power) and a re-tune. Parts ordered, probably in 2 weeks. I'll report back.
A friend has the AFE installed on his car but does not have any before and after numbers. What he did indicate is the car is leaning out resulting in considerable knock retard on 93 octane. The dyno operator suggested a tune for the car to adjust some of the timing maps and fuel trims which could obviously help.
I think for owners who install any aftermarket CAI which will impact the A/F ratio or potentially add even an insignificant more boost through opening up the inlet airflow should either consider running a higher octane mixture, can of boostane or your favorite octane booster, or get the car tuned.
it is my opinion the car would respond and make a whole lot more power if the +KR would be nearly or fully eliminated.
Old 07-03-2021, 02:29 PM
grecoz06
Racer

Originally Posted by RegnaR
what heat exchanger are you going to go with?
Shop recommended AFCO
Old 07-03-2021, 02:37 PM
grecoz06
Racer

Originally Posted by Svtracer14
A friend has the AFE installed on his car but does not have any before and after numbers. What he did indicate is the car is leaning out resulting in considerable knock retard on 93 octane. The dyno operator suggested a tune for the car to adjust some of the timing maps and fuel trims which could obviously help.
I think for owners who install any aftermarket CAI which will impact the A/F ratio or potentially add even an insignificant more boost through opening up the inlet airflow should either consider running a higher octane mixture, can of boostane or your favorite octane booster, or get the car tuned.
it is my opinion the car would respond and make a whole lot more power if the +KR would be nearly or fully eliminated.
Yep, agreed 100%. I can feel it in the car since I've been experimenting with fuel mixture after my 91 octane tune. I'm getting that tune redone though, but still on 91. First I tried Torco, but then I found a 100 octane station 2 miles away so I've been mixing half and half. The car really responded. But, when I really noticed it was went I drained the tank so I could get a 91 dyno pull to see what was happening with the car. Car did not feel great, felt very flat and I could feel the roll off like was shown on the dyno chart. After I left the shop I went straight to the station and put 8 gallons of 100 and topped the rest off with 91. It took about 1/8th of a tank for the car to respond, which I think was the ECU recognizing it did not need to pull timing. Night and day difference, insane. Car completely woke up and pulled right up to redline super strong. I would not be surprised if it was a 30-50hp difference. Different car. Before it felt like the car had a rope around it's neck, after it adjusted to the higher octane just felt free and open with no limits.

I would love to tune it with a higher octane, but I don't want to worry about perfect mixers and accidently harm the engine. So we'll see what we can safely squeeze out of another 91 tune but I'll keep doing my fuel mixture and I'll just use torco or boostane in the event I can't get 100

Get notified of new replies

To Just Installed AFE CAI - Dyno Numbers

Quick Reply: Just Installed AFE CAI - Dyno Numbers