Notices
C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Manual tranny fluid change

Old 07-03-2016, 03:24 PM
l2vette
CF Senior Member

Default Manual tranny fluid change

I just drained my manual transmission fluid. Refill only took 3.6 quarts. Manual says 4.23. Is this another misprint in the manual??
Old 07-03-2016, 07:22 PM
spearfish25
CF Senior Member

Was the car level on jack stands or a lift? If it was on ramps with just one end lifted, that could explain the difference.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:57 AM
Vegas Panton
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Trans fluid

Originally Posted by l2vette View Post
I just drained my manual transmission fluid. Refill only took 3.6 quarts. Manual says 4.23. Is this another misprint in the manual??
I suspect that some of the old fluid remained in the transmission cooler and its associated lines. The 4.23 number is probably for a new dry system with no residual fluid.
Old 07-04-2016, 11:54 AM
l2vette
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by spearfish25 View Post
Was the car level on jack stands or a lift? If it was on ramps with just one end lifted, that could explain the difference.
The car was level, it was up on my Bend Pac Lift level as could be.

Originally Posted by Vegas Panton View Post
I suspect that some of the old fluid remained in the transmission cooler and its associated lines. The 4.23 number is probably for a new dry system with no residual fluid.
That's kind of what I was thinking but was wondering what others had experienced.
Thanks!
Old 07-04-2016, 09:26 PM
seamus2154
CF Senior Member

Same issue arises on the C6Z. I drain it warm to get a good drain, then fill to overfill. Your fine.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:43 PM
spearfish25
CF Senior Member

Just did mine and probably got 3.75 qts back in. Seems like it drains incompletely. I did fill a few ounces more after idling the engine in neutral 2 minutes and then rechecking as the service manual says to do.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:53 PM
spoolin98
CF Senior Member

Just thought I would add my thoughts since I did my M7 fluid change on my 19 yesterday. Drained it cold, got about 3 quarts out. 3.5 quarts went in before it started coming out the fill hole. It appears to have been under filled.
I read on here everywhere that it should take just shy of 4 quarts. I figured mine took less because I drained it cold, like 30* middle of winter cold. For peace of mind I went to Tremec's website, it states the 6070's capacity is approximately 3.5L or 3.7 quarts.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:07 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Unlike how it worked with C6 cars, when I filled to the level check hole, I ended up having slow leaks. I thought I've had some other issue, until two other friends also replaced their fluid, and started having the same leaks. I asked dealer's help. They colored the fluid, and found the leak coming from the breather. They suggested I actually need to fill about half inch below the fill line, or else it ends up leaking from the breather at the top of the transmission.

I'm not absolutely sure if the dealer is right, but sucking fluid out has definitely helped slow down the leaks. I have since switched to a '19 Z06. I'll see what happens when I change the fluid on this car, too.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:14 PM
George_L
CF Senior Member

When I changed mine I had the same results as you. I used a QuickJack and the car was perfectly level. I tried to find the post but couldn't, where some said that that was normal.

Last edited by George_L; 02-09-2019 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:28 PM
spoolin98
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by George_L View Post
When I changed mine I had the same results as you. I used a QuickJack and the car was perfectly level. I tried to find the post but couldn't, where some said that that was normal.
Mine was also on a quick jack, cant get more level than that.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:32 PM
spoolin98
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Unlike how it worked with C6 cars, when I filled to the level check hole, I ended up having slow leaks. I thought I've had some other issue, until two other friends also replaced their fluid, and started having the same leaks. I asked dealer's help. They colored the fluid, and found the leak coming from the breather. They suggested I actually need to fill about half inch below the fill line, or else it ends up leaking from the breather at the top of the transmission.

I'm not absolutely sure if the dealer is right, but sucking fluid out has definitely helped slow down the leaks. I have since switched to a '19 Z06. I'll see what happens when I change the fluid on this car, too.
Colored the fluid? Should be the only red fluid in the car haha
I'll keep this in mind if I start getting ATF on my garage floor. I filled mine so it was just dripping out of the fill hole.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:10 PM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

There's a tracing fluid you can add to trace where the leaks are coming from. It shows up under blue light, and doesn't change the color of the fluid.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:31 PM
Greg00Coupe
CF Senior Member

I always run compressed air into the drain holes, pushes some more fluid out, I can’t remember exactly but think I got in near capacity.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:56 PM
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by X25 View Post

Lots of us that track our cars have run into this. If you fill it until it runs out keep the plug out until it quits dripping. I had the same issue when I changed mine the first time. I switched to redline d4 this time and so far it hasn't leaked.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:45 AM
Doctor Mark
CF Senior Member

Redline D4 ATF makes the cold shifting easier but still not magic. Take your time until the gearbox heats up. I often do 1 to 3 until I get some fluid temp (trick learned from owning old Ferraris with crappy 2nd gear syncros).
Redline specifically states D4 ATF as the application for our gearbox. FWIW, the Ranger method is for clutch fluid not gearbox fluid. The gearbox has a drain plug and a fill plug. Always make sure you can get the fill plug out before you drain. If you have drained and can not get the fill plug out, it would be a big oh sh-t moment
Old 02-13-2019, 11:11 AM
RobGZ06
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by spoolin98 View Post
Mine was also on a quick jack, cant get more level than that.
Off topic but can a quick jack work on asphalt or only concrete grounds?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:15 AM
badhabit_wb
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by RobGZ06 View Post
Off topic but can a quick jack work on asphalt or only concrete grounds?
I think it would work fine on either. I wouldn't try it in the middle of summer on hot asphalt but otherwise it spreads the load over a pretty good area.
The Following User Says Thank You to badhabit_wb For This Useful Post:
RobGZ06 (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 02:42 PM
George_L
CF Senior Member

I often use my QuickJack on asphalt. When it is warm (also, my driveway was paved last summer) I use two pieces of 1/2" plywood under the QuickJack. I just cut a sheet of 1/2" plywood in half lengthwise. I have never had a problem. I know people that even use them on stone and dirt driveways. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that the surface needs to be almost level.
The Following User Says Thank You to George_L For This Useful Post:
RobGZ06 (02-13-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:37 PM
DAC17
2019 Z06 2LZ
Support Corvetteforum!

Quick question. Has anyone noticed that the 2019 Z06 M7 is prone to popping out of gear when the car starts out on a cold (< 30F) day? If so, does any particular fluid help to solve that issue, or is it just a design flaw? Or just my car, and I should visit the dealer?

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:43 PM
MiamiCowboy
CF Senior Member

Originally Posted by DAC17 View Post
Quick question. Has anyone noticed that the 2019 Z06 M7 is prone to popping out of gear when the car starts out on a cold (< 30F) day? If so, does any particular fluid help to solve that issue, or is it just a design flaw? Or just my car, and I should visit the dealer?

Thanks.
My 2019 has never popped out of gear but I am changing to Amsoil as I have on all my Z06 Corvettes. The cold could be the issue for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Manual tranny fluid change

Sponsored Ads
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: