C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Intercooler Pump Cavitation & Shutdown

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 11:09 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Received 852 Likes on 410 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgear
Had a thought about this tonight while I was driving home....GM says they want just a small square inch bubble in the reservoir.....then I was reading about some of the other peoples experience where the small bubble disappeared when the fluid heated up (expanded).

So I started thinking about the testing and it made me wonder if the stock pump set up needs that very small bubble to facilitate expansion and for the most part force feed the pump......if the bubble is too big the pressure never builds enough in the system on the feed side to the feed side of the pump that it cavitates.....

Cavitation is caused by air in the system where the pump gulps air slugs (very bad) but it also happens when the fluid cant get to the pump fast enough (also very bad). If the bubble doesnt enable the fluid to build pressure enough in the system to feed the pump, then bad things will happen.

You dont see this problem before it is warm because the fluid isnt warm enough yet to expand but likewise the fluid still isnt up to critical temp and everything is fine because IATs are still happy.....when the temp goes up but the pump isnt feed enough all hell breaks loose and the pump goes into hybernation for 3 minutes only to repeat the cycle again as temps arent kept in check.......

just my wild *** thoughts.....
Windshield time... and shower time... ALways good times to think. Amen to that.

Lets disregard what GM says for a minute- and get back to basics. In your line of work, would that square inch fly? From a closed atmosphere system, that sees large temp swings. how do you feel about that?

Lets also liken this to a water pump on an engine- Same scenario. However, we all know what would happen if THAT system had a critical shut down.

Same environment, different hardware. We all know there is air in that system.

Now that I think about it as I type this up- the Engine waterpump draws coolant from the bottom of the radiator, just like GM OEM Blower pump, draws from the heat exchanger. Same theory, and execution.

We have reversed it, giving it a large tank with head pressure, and pump flows through the heat exchangers, as opposed to drawing through one half, and pushing through the other half (OEM setup)

We hope to validate this tomorrow, or friday at the latest to make sure our updates were not an outlier. .
Old 07-13-2016, 11:37 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by GSpeed
Windshield time... and shower time... ALways good times to think. Amen to that.

Lets disregard what GM says for a minute- and get back to basics. In your line of work, would that square inch fly? NEVER.....no air is best...none, zero!

From a closed atmosphere system, that sees large temp swings. how do you feel about that? Air is bad no matter what. The expansion rate of air is far cry from fluid....that air at best acts like a spring. But the pressure within the container will never build as long as the air bubble is sufficient size. When the air bubble compresses which is what happens when the fluid expands it will get very small to the point that it is still there, but pressure has built in the system.

Lets also liken this to a water pump on an engine- Same scenario. However, we all know what would happen if THAT system had a critical shut down. That is because the pump can't pump air, it is meant to pump fluid.....

Same environment, different hardware. We all know there is air in that system.

Now that I think about it as I type this up- the Engine waterpump draws coolant from the bottom of the radiator, just like GM OEM Blower pump, draws from the heat exchanger. Same theory, and execution.

We have reversed it, giving it a large tank with head pressure, and pump flows through the heat exchangers, as opposed to drawing through one half, and pushing through the other half (OEM setup)

We hope to validate this tomorrow, or friday at the latest to make sure our updates were not an outlier. .
Spot on.....I can't see the pump trying to pull fluid through the heat exchanger...that is really bad. It needs "an unemcombered" fluid path with no (virtually none) pressure drop....pressure drop on the feed side of a pump is bad, hence why you might want to build pressure to try and feed it......if this is what GM is doing they have really missed the mark!
Old 07-13-2016, 11:39 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

Early in my career I built a pressure fed system feeding a pump.....trickiest thing I have ever done and it left a very bad taste in my mouth......flooding the inlet with all the fluid it would ever need has always been the way to go.....
Old 07-14-2016, 06:53 AM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Its cavitation, for sure. We ran the pump at 200* for 20 minutes on the bench, isolated from the car- and no issues. The pump is rated to 240, we just validated what we saw on track, temp wise.

The pump fails to flow well during cavitation. We correlate this, with the increase in water temp spikes, in the duration leading up to the cavitation shut down.

We too thought about changing the pump- however, that solves the shut down problem, not the root cause. The pump functions fine, when its operating properly. Being that this kit is expensive as is, engineering a proper solution seemed like a better idea than throwing money at it.

We liken it to not filling the oil tank full, and then changing the oil pump, because pressure is fluctuating...
Thank you for doing all this work on a great car and it sounds like you're going to come up with some interesting solutions to make it better. Maybe I missed it somewhere but I don't understand what is actually shutting the pump down. The cavitation as you introduce air into the pump leads to shut down. Since it last three minutes and then the pump comes back on it sounds like a very controlled event. What is controlling this I am not sure. Do you know at this point the mechanism that is causing this? Also this may not to be a failsafe mechanism to protect the pump. The reason it may be shutting down is to allow air to move away from the pump. Other non-car applications I know they have a strategy where a timer shuts the pump off periodically to allow air to move away from the pump. Allows the fluid to prime the pump. If the pump is just sucking air it may never prime itself again where is if you shut it down fluid may move back into the pump and then be primed and work good after that
Old 07-14-2016, 08:42 AM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by Edwardz
Thank you for doing all this work on a great car and it sounds like you're going to come up with some interesting solutions to make it better. Maybe I missed it somewhere but I don't understand what is actually shutting the pump down. The cavitation as you introduce air into the pump leads to shut down. Since it last three minutes and then the pump comes back on it sounds like a very controlled event. What is controlling this I am not sure. Do you know at this point the mechanism that is causing this? Also this may not to be a failsafe mechanism to protect the pump. The reason it may be shutting down is to allow air to move away from the pump. Other non-car applications I know they have a strategy where a timer shuts the pump off periodically to allow air to move away from the pump. Allows the fluid to prime the pump. If the pump is just sucking air it may never prime itself again where is if you shut it down fluid may move back into the pump and then be primed and work good after that
The pump has an on-board controller that's shutting it down. Your theory of the shutdown also allowing air to move away from the pump makes sense from a basic pump perspective, which the manufacturer most likely intended. I'd counter with cavitation isn't good for the pump either, so it's likely happening for both reasons. Pump protection, and a poor attempt at air evacuation. Just doesn't work in this particular system due to the layout and low volume.

Jake
Old 07-27-2016, 05:59 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

https://gspeed.com/product/z06-inter...override-tool/

We made a little tool to help with intercooler bleeding. This guy plugs into the underhood fuse box, and allows you to manually control the intercooler pump while you work on the car without running the engine.

Even on a stock car, this will greatly simplify the bleeding process. Once the system is more or less full, you can turn on the pump and circulate fluid to help get all the air out.

Jake
The following 2 users liked this post by GSpeed:
Poor-sha (07-27-2016), SBC_and_a_stick (07-28-2016)
Old 07-28-2016, 10:56 AM
jcthorne
Drifting

Received 425 Likes on 243 Posts

Perhaps I missed it, but in the KISS vein of thought, have you looked at just re-routing the hoses to allow the pump to pull directly from the stock reservoir and have both halves of the heat exchanger down stream of the pump, thus removing the flow restriction upstream of the pump suction? IE keeping all the stock components, just changing the order?
Old 07-28-2016, 11:53 AM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by jcthorne
Perhaps I missed it, but in the KISS vein of thought, have you looked at just re-routing the hoses to allow the pump to pull directly from the stock reservoir and have both halves of the heat exchanger down stream of the pump, thus removing the flow restriction upstream of the pump suction? IE keeping all the stock components, just changing the order?
We decided it would be more thorough to replace the entire reservoir with a top-mounted larger unit. Our reservoir holds a gallon of water, and essentially gravity-feeds the pump. We didn't try anything with the stock reservoir, no. I'm not sure how much benefit that would have on an otherwise stock system, but based on our research there are much bigger problems at play.

Jake
Old 07-28-2017, 07:11 AM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

GSpeed, this thread hasn't had activity for a while, so I don't know if you'll see this.
Did you ever get around to adding more pressure to the system to see if that reduces cavitation? This was suggested beginning with post #42. A pressure drop (presumably near the pump inlet) would lower the boiling point of the coolant, creating gas bubbles. Increasing the pressure of the entire system would reduce or possibly even eliminate this.

Using pressure to keep the coolant in a liquid state is why we run high pressure in our regular engine coolant system. Remove the radiator cap when the engine is hot, and the reduction in pressure instantly causes some of the coolant to flash to steam, spewing hot coolant all over the place.

I don't know how much pressure the intercooler system will take, but it's presumably more than the 3 psi or so that the stock system generates.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:14 AM
patrick4588
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

How do u even bleed the system? We have to go to dealer? What about those of us with expansion tanks (granatelli) and like to fill with ice at track?
Old 07-20-2018, 06:48 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

We've been developing a new cooling system for the temperature-challenged Z06s, and one odd issue we found was repeated temperature spikes in intercooler fluid temperatures when on track. We attributed it to a pump shutdown for some reason, but were unable to pinpoint the problem until now.

This graph from our Cooling Development Thread shows the temperature spikes we were talking about:

Looking over a datasheet for the pump, we saw that it does have the onboard smarts to protect itself if need be. We thought we were getting an overheat condition, so we heated the water up to 180°-200°F and kept it there for 20 minutes. The pump didn't care, and continued happily pumping water the whole time.

We played with starving the pump, and injecting air into the system, and finally figured it out.

Excess air in the system will cause the impeller to cavitate, and enter a three minute shutdown period to recover. That matches our observations on track exactly.

Here's a video of our test. We inject air into the line with a blow gun, and a few seconds later, the pump shuts off. Exactly three minutes later, the pump restarts.

This is HUGE, and gives much more importance to the bleeding process and tank design. Previously, everyone thought that air in the system just hurt the heat transfer and pumping ability, when the reality is much more dire. The system will shut down entirely for three minutes, which is more than enough time for the engine to overheat and go into limp mode.

What also worth noting is that the ECU has nothing to do with this. Throughout our entire test shown in the video, the pump was hooked up to a battery. The ECU has no idea the pump is shutting down until temperatures reach unsafe levels.

Lesson here: Make SURE your intercooler system is bled properly.
Wanted to clarify this statement in bold and what is meant by engine overheat. Does the blower heat exchanger high temperature ever result in the engine coolant or oil temperature to overheat?
Old 07-20-2018, 08:12 PM
GSpeed
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by djnice
Wanted to clarify this statement in bold and what is meant by engine overheat. Does the blower heat exchanger high temperature ever result in the engine coolant or oil temperature to overheat?

two things happen: the water is stagnant in the blower, which causes a high intake air temp scenario, which causes the throttle to close. There is no code or warning for this scenario.

when the pump turns back on, it has a huge rush of 230* water flooding the system, rejecting the heat (from the blower) directly into the radiator, increasing water temp 6-15* per pump cavitation cycle. This causes the message on the dash and an engine hot issues

Old 07-22-2018, 09:41 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Have you guys tried running 2 water pumps, at 2 different locations on the loop?

The advantage would be, a person could create a relay that basically keeps them both on 98% of the time, and the 2% or whatever time increment is needed, would be used to shut down one pump for 5 seconds... then it comes back on, and then 2 min later, the other pump shuts off for 5 sec, and they alternate back and forth, but 98% of the time, they are both on together.

What this would do is... use the FLOW from the other pump, to greatly accelerate the time needed to get the air away from the pump that is currently shut off. It might prevent cavitation all together as neither pump is having to work as hard.

2 props on the back of a boat will cavitate less at take off than 1 prop on the back of a boat. You are AT LEAST halving the cavitation's chances from occurring, but more realistically, probably even more... and then you are solving the cavitation in just a matter of seconds, instead of waiting for 3 minutes.

If you've already done that, my apologies, I read this thread a long time ago, know the gist of it.. but forgot if that was part of the solution or not.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:24 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Fix!

was all this stuff fixed in the ZR1?
Old 07-23-2018, 12:17 PM
napoleonvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Has anyone tried restricting or slowing coolant flow to lessen chance of cavitation and giving intercooler a better chance to cool?
Old 07-23-2018, 01:02 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Very interesting and very nice read. Subscribed.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:12 PM
CSIXX1
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

We've been developing a new cooling system for the temperature-challenged Z06s, and one odd issue we found was repeated temperature spikes in intercooler fluid temperatures when on track. We attributed it to a pump shutdown for some reason, but were unable to pinpoint the problem until now.

This graph from our Cooling Development Thread shows the temperature spikes we were talking about:

We set up a "test loop" to simulate on-track conditions in the shop. The intercooler pump is laying on the ground under the wheel, hardwired to a battery (with an inline switch). It's drawing from the big steel pot, and running through the intercooler radiators, intercooler, and back into the pot. Just like in the car, so pressure load on the pump is very similar.

Looking over a datasheet for the pump, we saw that it does have the onboard smarts to protect itself if need be. We thought we were getting an overheat condition, so we heated the water up to 180°-200°F and kept it there for 20 minutes. The pump didn't care, and continued happily pumping water the whole time.

We played with starving the pump, and injecting air into the system, and finally figured it out.

Excess air in the system will cause the impeller to cavitate, and enter a three minute shutdown period to recover. That matches our observations on track exactly.

Here's a video of our test. We inject air into the line with a blow gun, and a few seconds later, the pump shuts off. Exactly three minutes later, the pump restarts.

This is HUGE, and gives much more importance to the bleeding process and tank design. Previously, everyone thought that air in the system just hurt the heat transfer and pumping ability, when the reality is much more dire. The system will shut down entirely for three minutes, which is more than enough time for the engine to overheat and go into limp mode.

What also worth noting is that the ECU has nothing to do with this. Throughout our entire test shown in the video, the pump was hooked up to a battery. The ECU has no idea the pump is shutting down until temperatures reach unsafe levels.

Lesson here: Make SURE your intercooler system is bled properly.
I understand getting the air out of the system but don't you want to have a little space in the stock intercooler tank to allow for fluid expansion? There is no over flow bottle in this system to collect the expanding coolant like on the engine cooling system.

Get notified of new replies

To Intercooler Pump Cavitation & Shutdown

Old 07-23-2018, 02:19 PM
atljar
Melting Slicks

Received 381 Likes on 277 Posts

My question is more on the pump and pump flow.

Unless Im missing something.... in order to gravity feed the pump, you would have to reverse the flow of the system. Are you physically moving the pump, or just using a couple extra fittings to reverse the inlet and outlet? Second question.... doing this means you are feeding the pump with the hottest coolant possible coming out of the bricks. Any detrimental life to the pump itself? I wouldnt think it could be good for it.

Last edited by atljar; 07-23-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by CSIXX1
I understand getting the air out of the system but don't you want to have a little space in the stock intercooler tank to allow for fluid expansion? There is no over flow bottle in this system to collect the expanding coolant like on the engine cooling system.
The intercooler circuit is a low temperature low pressure system. Not sure what the coolant temp gets up to coming out of the bricks but I doubt there is much expansion. The email I received from GM Engineering (discussed in other threads) instructed me to have the dealer mechanic reduce the volume of air in the reservoir to the size of two quarters. That isn't a lot of volume. We didn't get mine down to that level but did get it down to the size of two silver dollars and when the system is hot and just shut down the air gap hasn't visibly changed in size from when it was cold after sitting overnight.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
Mikec7z (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 11:39 PM
Mikec7z
Melting Slicks

Received 647 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikec7z
Have you guys tried running 2 water pumps, at 2 different locations on the loop?

The advantage would be, a person could create a relay that basically keeps them both on 98% of the time, and the 2% or whatever time increment is needed, would be used to shut down one pump for 5 seconds... then it comes back on, and then 2 min later, the other pump shuts off for 5 sec, and they alternate back and forth, but 98% of the time, they are both on together.

What this would do is... use the FLOW from the other pump, to greatly accelerate the time needed to get the air away from the pump that is currently shut off. It might prevent cavitation all together as neither pump is having to work as hard.

2 props on the back of a boat will cavitate less at take off than 1 prop on the back of a boat. You are AT LEAST halving the cavitation's chances from occurring, but more realistically, probably even more... and then you are solving the cavitation in just a matter of seconds, instead of waiting for 3 minutes.

If you've already done that, my apologies, I read this thread a long time ago, know the gist of it.. but forgot if that was part of the solution or not.
Just when I think I'm clever and inventive, i come to find out GM beat me to it.... 100 bucks says the zr1's TWO pumps don't shut down for 3 minutes at a time

At least I know my idea works now.

Question is, are the zr1 pumps shut off for a few seconds by an internal timer and/or cavitation sensor?... or are they just both wired up to a single central relay and thus a timer that shuts each down... (as an example)... once every minute for 5 seconds each at staggered times?

GSpeed... where is your video on this? Late, I tell you

Last edited by Mikec7z; 07-24-2018 at 04:05 AM.

Quick Reply: Intercooler Pump Cavitation & Shutdown