C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Bad luck!

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 12:42 AM
benspruce
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Bad luck!

After having a great day listening to a quality band, my wife and I were returning home. We had to stop at a gate and wait for it to open. While we were inching toward the gate a branch from a eucalyptus tree came crashing down on the top of the car. Leaves and acorns even came in an open window on my (driver) side. I got out and looked at the car. It wasn't as bad as it sounded when it hit the car (no dents), but when I got home and cleaned off the top there were several very fine scratches that I can't remove. So I'm not sure what to do. I'm not too happy.
Old 10-02-2016, 02:39 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Originally Posted by benspruce
After having a great day listening to a quality band, my wife and I were returning home. We had to stop at a gate and wait for it to open. While we were inching toward the gate a branch from a eucalyptus tree came crashing down on the top of the car. Leaves and acorns even came in an open window on my (driver) side. I got out and looked at the car. It wasn't as bad as it sounded when it hit the car (no dents), but when I got home and cleaned off the top there were several very fine scratches that I can't remove. So I'm not sure what to do. I'm not too happy.
You must have done something bad in previous life.
Seriously, sorry to hear that...very bad luck.

Last edited by sunsalem; 10-02-2016 at 02:39 AM.
Old 10-02-2016, 06:33 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Orbital? Usually the fine stuff can be buffed out.
Old 10-02-2016, 07:01 AM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by spearfish25
Orbital? Usually the fine stuff can be buffed out.
Run your fingernail across the scratch, if it drops in or hangs at the scratch it will not come out by polishing or compounding.
Old 10-02-2016, 08:12 AM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

I've always found that if the scratch has paint in the valley, it can be buffed smooth again. If you see primer or body, you're done.
Old 10-02-2016, 09:27 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

I would take it to a high end collision shop for their thoughts. When our shop sees repairs like this we explain we will try to wet sand and buff them out then its the owners decision to refinish or not. Also, in writing we will have a note that in the attempt we may go thru the clear therefor refinishing would be a must.

You would be surprised how much can be removed sanding and buffing. A lot depends on the mill thickness of the clear coat. Back in the 90"s Dodge trucks had the least amount I have ever seen. You would simply touch the sand paper to the surface and go thru. Why they had and issue with delamination back then too!

I've already buffed a few scratches from my black Z with no problems. Good luck, if your in the Syracuse NY area stop in, Jeffrey's Auto Body Inc.

Get notified of new replies

To Bad luck!

Quick Reply: Bad luck!