C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 Resale Value -- Stick vs. Auto

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 11:32 AM
Outlaw Joe
Pro

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

When I ordered my Z06, I ordered it with 7M. Because for me personally, a sports car isnt a sports car unless it is a manual.
That is going all the way back to my first car which was a 1967 corvette 427, 4 speed. As far as resale, if I were to buy a used corvette, I would go for the manual over the automatic every time.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:15 PM
AZGASSER
Drifting

Received 289 Likes on 211 Posts

What the value of the Z06 is economics problem at the time of the sale. Supply and demand is one variable. You are trying to guess what someone else thinks the value of your car will be compared to what you think it will be. With what people are suggesting here is that there is a larger pool of both A8s and drivers wanting them, so in that case it is a wash. Rare things tend to have a higher value but also a lower demand because they are so unique, so again a wash. I thought of houses the same way, get what you want now and not think about what the next person wants. If you are worried about value, buy the car and park it. That way you have a low milage car, that you have not enjoyed. I guarantee that the next buyer will regardless of the transmission. I just sold a 2003 AE vert for $9500 with 131000 miles. I made sure I got all the fun out of it that I can. It is now a project car for the next guy.

Last edited by AZGASSER; 10-13-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:10 PM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

The manual will be worth more on the used market.

Lots of cars the auto sells way better when new but that does not translate to the used market as well when it comes to a sports car.

Auto M3s are worth probably $10K less than a manual when I shopped hard a few years back.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:19 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by jeddi
I'm mainly wondering about resell value at this point; so I'll probably buy auto. Thanks.
Dont buy the car youre getting some bad info anyway

Last edited by cv67; 10-13-2016 at 01:21 PM.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:42 PM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by jeddi
I'm mainly wondering about resell value at this point; so I'll probably buy auto. Thanks.
That does not make sense. Nobody buys a car for resale. I would like to know what color you are sure the next buyer will want as well.
Old 10-13-2016, 06:20 PM
Jakeman11
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by vntgmbk
As far as resale, sheer numbers being sold clearly signals, you will have more buyers for the A8. I can tell you however from my personal experience that if you have really enjoyed rowing the gears in the past, at least for me the A8 was not right for me. I purchased a 16 A8 Z( thinking my wife would drive it more that way) coming from an 08 C6Z ( only came in manual), After just the ride home from the dealer( 50 miles), I immediately knew I made a mistake. I immediately called the large dealer I got it from in an attempt to trade it back for an M7 and they said I would have to take over a $10k loss to get into an M7. At first I thought I would just have to keep it then but then I realized how unhappy I would be every time I drove it so I sold it privately for a lesser loss and currently have an M7 17Z on order. So I guess in my opinion at least, get what will make you the most pleased every time you drive the car and not worry just about the resale as in the end your happiness will override your resale concerns. Also, until GM comes out with an auto trans that shifts fast with no delay at slower speeds, there will always be a market for the manual trans for years to come.
Not knocking the A8 owners, just saying that coming from a manual C6Z, in my opinion there was no comparison as to the driving experience between the two transmissions. I only wish I would have been offered a test drive or insisted I test drive an M7 before I purchased the A8 as it would have been an easy decision and saved me a lot of regret and money.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:22 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

As far as resale, sheer numbers being sold clearly signals, you will have more buyers for the A8. I can tell you however from my personal experience that if you have really enjoyed rowing the gears in the past, at least for me the A8 was not right for me. I purchased a 16 A8 Z( thinking my wife would drive it more that way) coming from an 08 C6Z (
only came in manual), After just the ride home from the dealer( 50 miles), I immediately knew I made a mistake. I immediately called the large dealer I got it from in an attempt to trade it back for an M7 and they said I would have to take over a $10k loss to get into an M7. At first I thought I would just have to keep it then but then I realized how unhappy I would be every time I drove it so I sold it privately for a lesser loss and currently have an M7 17Z on order. So I guess in my opinion at least, get what will make you the most pleased every time you drive the car and not worry just about the resale as in the end your happiness will override your resale concerns. Also, until GM comes out with an auto trans that shifts fast with no delay at slower speeds, there will always be a market for the manual trans for years to come.
Not knocking the A8 owners, just saying that coming from a manual C6Z, in my opinion there was no comparison as to the driving experience between the two transmissions. I only wish I would have been offered a test drive or insisted I test drive an M7 before I purchased the A8 as it would have been an easy decision and saved me a lot of regret and money.
tthats what I thought after a test drive of an a8 c7z . I Wll also say the air conditioning did not cool as well as my c6z. It was humid and mid 90's on the test drive. All other aspects of the car I loved. Especially the seats.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:45 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

As far as resale, sheer numbers being sold clearly signals, you will have more buyers for the A8. I can tell you however from my personal experience that if you have really enjoyed rowing the gears in the past, at least for me the A8 was not right for me. I purchased a 16 A8 Z( thinking my wife would drive it more that way) coming from an 08 C6Z ( only came in manual), After just the ride home from the dealer( 50 miles), I immediately knew I made a mistake. I immediately called the large dealer I got it from in an attempt to trade it back for an M7 and they said I would have to take over a $10k loss to get into an M7. At first I thought I would just have to keep it then but then I realized how unhappy I would be every time I drove it so I sold it privately for a lesser loss and currently have an M7 17Z on order. So I guess in my opinion at least, get what will make you the most pleased every time you drive the car and not worry just about the resale as in the end your happiness will override your resale concerns. Also, until GM comes out with an auto trans that shifts fast with no delay at slower speeds, there will always be a market for the manual trans for years to come.
100% and fel the exact same way in my A8 Car after trading in my 2009 Gen 4 Dodge Viper SRT. I don't regret getting the A8 b/c I love drag racing and straight line speed and the A8 can't be beat when it comes to that, but it is WAY FUNNER, to drive a car like the C7 in a manual trans. After I bought my 16 C7 Z I replaced my 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 with a 2016 Mustang GT with the performance package and MADE certain I bought that car with a manual trans. If I just had one fun go fast car (my Z06) it would have to with a manual tranny just WAY funner to drive (if you like and are use to rowing the gears).

That being said back to the OP when these cars first came out the A8 was the more in demand trans. for the C7 Z and you will have a bigger target market if you sell it privately with the A8 car. Trade in value will not matter in my opinion. If you keep the car for 30 years for an investment (HIGHLY doubtful) then the M7 car will be worth more money.

Make sure you drive both cars and choose the one that puts the bigger smile on your face b/c that is what matters the most.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:17 PM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Manual will have a greater resale value when you go to sell. People dream of rowing the gears.

Get torch red with a black interior....or white with grey interior.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:56 PM
ZoratZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 959 Likes on 410 Posts

Though it's not a limited production exotic, history suggests the manuals hold their value better. F360 6sp, F430 6spd both go for good money compared to the auto's. GT3RS manual vs the DCT, manual more expensive. M3 same thing. 612 Scaglietti same thing. Most of it is because of rarity...and there are FAR less M7's than A8's. Having said that it's not a Ferrari or Porsche 911R or GT3 or F430 manual etc....so it's likely a mute point...maybe the M7 is slightly more desirable but not likely by very much cause they made/make so many Vette's. Get the one you want to drive cause financially it's a bad decision to buy either!! Lol. They sure are fun though.

Although unlikely, it's possible the C7 is the last generation with a manual. Look what that did to the F430 6sp values...Just saying.

Last edited by ZoratZ06; 10-17-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:51 AM
jordanC6Z06
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

The more unique the car, down the road with low miles, the higher in will be worth. There are less M7's out there so they will be harder to come by with low miles and the options that people may want, so for the right buyer they will pay the extra $. Proof, check out Barrett Jackson
Old 10-18-2016, 11:15 AM
Suns_PSD
Le Mans Master

Received 408 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
That does not make sense. Nobody buys a car for resale. I would like to know what color you are sure the next buyer will want as well.
Don't say nobody, because I often consider resale when purchasing a vehicle.

Heck, we have a thread right here with someone considering resale values.

If you feel the exact same about both transmissions, the manual is going to save you a few grand up front, and get you a few grand on the back end too.

That's just the reality of used sports cars.
Old 10-18-2016, 11:24 AM
JonMN
Safety Car

Received 1,023 Likes on 616 Posts

Both are going to depreciate so fast it's going to be a close call! (Not bashing anything, just reality with any car I have ever had)

Quick Reply: Z06 Resale Value -- Stick vs. Auto