C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

285-35-19/335-30-20 Federal Tires GREAT FEEDBACK.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 06:12 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Received 2,054 Likes on 1,306 Posts

Originally Posted by village idiot
What are the odds this customer can can tell the difference between tires on the street?
Not for nothing, but the vast majority of people aren't in a position to tell us crap about tires. Companies are spending millions to match the PSS, and falling short. I find it hard to believe this low-bid third world country no name tire just outdid Michelin's flagship tire.

I for one am not willing to find out in the middle of a turn at 1.2G's.

If you want to save some money, get the Continentals. They're probably just as good on the street as Michelin PSS (and certainly close enough for most drivers) and you won't die if you push it.
Village Idiot, why are you assuming you'd die when you push your car to 1.2Gs with them? Federal makes motorsports tires as you can see below in the link. They are well known/used in the drift world which creates lots of heat and usually that's what causes a tire to fail as I'm sure you're aware. These having a 160 treadwear rating I'd figure they'd hold up fairly well on track as I know the RSRR with its 200 treadwear has as well as others who've run the RSR with 140 treadwear. They don't chunk though they don't have 10/32' of tread to start with and are of a different tread design with diagonal grooves which help with deflection I believe. Though I'm know tire engineer, just someone who tries to use common sense.

http://www.federaltire.com/en/products.php

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 10-24-2017 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:18 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Originally Posted by jriley9922
I can chime in with first hand knowledge.
They do not rub 99% of the time.
If you're at full lock, the front very slightly rubs on the inner plastic fender liner.

​​​​​​So just don't go full lock in a parking lot.

They do not hold a candle to Michelin in grip.
Definitely not track tires.. They are noticably softer and will wallow a bit on high speed turn in.
between the extra sidewall and the softness of non run flat.

But they also ride much better! and add a little ground clearance... Which is nice if you daily driver your car and live up North with crappy roads and ground clearance issues.

And obviously crappy roads and big city pot holes lead to more flats. $100 tire replacement easier to swallow than $550.

And also, wall Mart will not be able to mount a 335 tire... You'll need a high end wheel and tire shop or the dealer

I think they are a great option if you have 2 sets of wheels. Throw these on your show rims and save the cup2's on OEM wheels for track days.
Appreciate the first hand feedback, everything you stated makes sense. Just to be clear, you are referring to the Cup2s when comparing to the "Michelins" as you stated since it appears you have a z07 correct?
Old 10-24-2017, 11:42 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

It cracks me up that the OP started this thread for those who wanted a cheap street tire with great traction, but then he gets villified by those who only care about how it performs at the track? Gee, we have a super stiff extra low profile tire versus a regular higher profile tire and the first one provides a more responsive turn in at higher speeds? Duh, who woulda thought that?

Runflats also transmit every bump and/or groove in the road no matter how small, they suck in the rain, and are lacking for straight line traction - let alone the well documented low tread life and road noise problem when well worn. You can't even compare the ride quality between any runcrap and a regular performance tire, no matter what the brand. It does boggle the mind how some posters act on here
Old 10-24-2017, 11:57 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Originally Posted by OBSSSD
It cracks me up that the OP started this thread for those who wanted a cheap street tire with great traction, but then he gets villified by those who only care about how it performs at the track? Gee, we have a super stiff extra low profile tire versus a regular higher profile tire and the first one provides a more responsive turn in at higher speeds? Duh, who woulda thought that?

Runflats also transmit every bump and/or groove in the road no matter how small, they suck in the rain, and are lacking for straight line traction - let alone the well documented low tread life and road noise problem when well worn. You can't even compare the ride quality between any runcrap and a regular performance tire, no matter what the brand. It does boggle the mind how some posters act on here
Lol what? the factory PSS are getting 25k miles out of them, runflat makes absolutely no difference in the rain (unless it goes flat) and people are getting below 1.8sec 60 ft times on them so I'm not sure they suck in a straight line.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:13 AM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

If you're at full lock, the front very slightly rubs on the inner plastic fender liner.

Definitely not track tires.. They are noticably softer and will wallow a bit on high speed turn in.

But they also ride much better! and add a little ground clearance... Which is nice if you daily driver your car and live up North with crappy roads and ground clearance issues.

And obviously crappy roads and big city pot holes lead to more flats. $100 tire replacement easier to swallow than $550.

And also, wall Mart will not be able to mount a 335 tire... You'll need a high end wheel and tire shop or the dealer

I think they are a great option if you have 2 sets of wheels. Throw these on your show rims and save the cup2's on OEM wheels for track days.
thanks for the pics and a real review from experience and not a asumption like other people do who have never had them on their car.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:12 PM
OBSSSD
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Lol what? the factory PSS are getting 25k miles out of them, runflat makes absolutely no difference in the rain (unless it goes flat) and people are getting below 1.8sec 60 ft times on them so I'm not sure they suck in a straight line.
First of all I said track use, where most if not all people are using PS Cup tires that come on the Z07 model.

Stiffer sidewall = less grip in straight line acceleration
Shorter sidewall = less grip for straight line acceleration

Ride quality isn't even debatable between either of the Michelin tires, no comparison.

Based upon the tread pattern my guess is the Federal tires will be better than in the rain versus the base car tires.

Not here to argue with a "village idiot" though
Old 10-25-2017, 04:24 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

First of all I said track use, where most if not all people are using PS Cup tires that come on the Z07 model.
Actually you said:
"Runflats also transmit every bump and/or groove in the road no matter how small, they suck in the rain, and are lacking for straight line traction - let alone the well documented low tread life and road noise problem when well worn"

Nothing about track use, but if that's what you meant, I'm not sure I've ever ever seen anyone complain about the tire life of either tire at the track.
Also, I've definitely seen way more street tires than cup tires at the track. This notion that "most if not all people are using PS Cup tires" on the track is completely unfounded.

Stiffer sidewall = less grip in straight line acceleration
Shorter sidewall = less grip for straight line acceleration
While this is true, the tread compound also makes a big difference. But again, you didn't compare the two. You just said the OEM runflats are lacking in straight line acceleration(and one of the two OEM tires, the cup tires, I 100% promise will be better out of the hole because they're way stickier).

Your quote:
"they suck in the rain, and are lacking for straight line traction"

1.8 and faster 60ft on the PSS (and way better on cup tires) is hardly "lacking" and I'd bet it's even better than the Federals. At the least, the PSS will be very similar and the Cup tires will be much better.

Also, PSS don't suck in the rain. I've driven them in the rain on the street and on the track (twice).

MPSS are a fairly impressive all around tire, TBH. They're fairly impressive on the track for a street tire too, to be honest. They're no Cup2 or race tire, but they're pretty good.

Not here to argue with a "village idiot" though
It's probably for the best
Old 10-25-2017, 04:24 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

I wouldn't say the federals fit the great traction need. The C7Z06 needs the stock runflats for best result.

Your talking about the OLD GOODYEAR runflats on the C6 Z06.. They were as you describe but the new MICHELIN tire is a million times better

That old stuff is out the window long ago. The runflats beat the non-runflat easy even with BOTH BEING MICHELIN SS.

Been there. Done that

Just sold almost new Michelin SS's to get the runflat back on the car which is a CORVEtTE SPEC tire the non runflats are NOT! . The runflat has is better And far away the stock MPSS beats ANY non runflat on our Z06's.

You should get a new Z06 you would know a lot more about the new stuff.

Last edited by 3 Z06ZR1; 10-25-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 04:47 PM
Dougpaper
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 28 Posts

I did stay at a Holiday Inn express last night
Old 10-25-2017, 09:30 PM
blakvette
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

What wheels are those ? Thanks
Old 10-25-2017, 09:39 PM
Wndotintman
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is this stock height or lowered on stock bolts?
Old 10-25-2017, 09:49 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by Wndotintman
Is this stock height or lowered on stock bolts?
Larger than stock tires filling the wheel wells. Which rub on full turns.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:21 AM
Wndotintman
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 3 Z06ZR1
Larger than stock tires filling the wheel wells. Which rub on full turns.
I am aware of that. That doesnt really answer my question.

So since you seem to know so much, Is his car stock height or lowered?
Old 11-25-2017, 09:56 AM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

Review I stumbled upon comparing Federals to Michelin Cup 2s on track...

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 11-25-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:25 PM
geterdone
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting. I would try the Federal's, but they are almost 37 pounds. That's almost 6 pounds more per wheel. Though I wonder how much that would slow me down.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:52 AM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
Review I stumbled upon comparing Federals to Michelin Cup 2s on track...
https://youtu.be/R5gKpI5chME
I didn't time the laps but from the comments:
best lap is close, but as i see on federal very unstable lap times, almost 6sec from best to worse - too lot difference! Michelin is in 0.7sec room each lap! Insane performance!

That basically means the Federal is a hunk of crap.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:08 AM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

I would not use these tires for the track,but for $527 shipped for all 4 they should make good burn up street tires.

Get notified of new replies

To 285-35-19/335-30-20 Federal Tires GREAT FEEDBACK.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:51 AM
Checkmate1
Burning Brakes

Received 212 Likes on 128 Posts

Said it before and I will say it again. From first hand experience on the street. Federals are a POS.

I have swapped too many tires to know that you get what you pay for.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:36 PM
PRE-Z06
Race Director

I didn't time the laps but from the comments:
best lap is close, but as i see on federal very unstable lap times, almost 6sec from best to worse - too lot difference! Michelin is in 0.7sec room each lap! Insane performance!

That basically means the Federal is a hunk of crap.
I like to deal with facts personally and not opinionated comments...they show the lap times, which there was one that was 4.2 seconds slower (possibly driver error?) throw it out and the difference between slowest to fastest was 1.4 seconds. I'm not a Federal rep, but to say the tire is going to kill you on track is flippant.

Last edited by PRE-Z06; 11-28-2017 at 06:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
desmophile (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 10:47 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by PRE-Z06
I like to deal with facts personally and not opinionated comments...they show the lap times, which there was one that was 4.2 seconds slower (possibly driver error?) throw it out and the difference between slowest to fastest was 1.4 seconds. I'm not a Federal rep, but to say the tire is going to kill you on track is flippant.
A big difference typically means the tires are overheating and/or unpredictable.

I've never once found a way to save money on tires on the track (aside from getting different sized wheels). "You get what you pay for" has resonated truewith tires than any other component I can think of.

Quick Reply: 285-35-19/335-30-20 Federal Tires GREAT FEEDBACK.