C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Halltech Stinger Install - Hood won't close

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 10:28 PM
JLJordann922
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Halltech Stinger Install - Hood won't close

So Im not good mechanically to put it that way but ive done Cai installs before. Any help from someone who has installed. I struggled to get the hard hose off both sides - then when I did it started leaking so hopefully nothing significant was lost.

For anyone who has done this install what was the hose that I cut (the one they give you a longer, flexible hose for) and the liquid I lost?

I cut the stock rubber hose to make it shorter as said in the video, and when I put the intake in, it turned out I probably needed those inches back.

Then to get the intake in the engine bay and fitted correctly just felt incredibly awkward and that I was severely pushing the radiator hose down. I don't know about most people but I then had to relocate the "T" with the 3 hose connections above the intake because otherwise the intake wouldn't fit.

Last but not least I made sure nothing was touching the belts (or any moving parts) and closed the hood....but now the hood stays up maybe 1mm higher on the intake corner side than the other side. In short, my hood isn't closing correctly. Also the little plastic piece that sits above the wall of where the air box screws into came loose. I think this piece just closes up holes in the body and possibly holds down the release cable.

Has anyone had any problems with the hood closing? Although the intake box looks high up, I cant see that hitting the top of the hood if its screwed into the wall correctly and in the throttle body. Any ideas would be helpful.

I started the car, ran it, and no check engine lights. The car seems to have much better throttle response and certainly sounds better. Who knows though, maybe I'm just hitting the throttle harder lol.

I think once I can get my hood closed, and can assure the rest was installed properly (no leaks, loose hoses), I will be a much happier person. Going to have a buddy give me a second opinion on my install tomorrow.

Last edited by JLJordann922; 11-03-2016 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Getting to the point
Old 11-03-2016, 11:50 AM
JDMUSCLE
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 64 Posts

Just went through this... all you need to do is reposition the coolant line under the air box a bit more and you'll see that the intake box will go down enough to clear.
The following 2 users liked this post by JDMUSCLE:
Halltech (11-03-2016), tail_lights (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 08:05 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

I just installed my Halltech today - no problems, and hood closes normally.

The one thing I did was that I purchased the pre-made tubing that Halltech sells. With that piece, there's no cutting, and I still have my OE line intact for reinstalling my factory intake when I sell/trade the car.

Here's a picture that shows the factory tube on top and the Halltech modified one on the bottom. You can see that the hard line has been cut/shortened on the right of the picture, and they installed the longer flexible tube on it. And the shorter hose that "tees" off the hard line has been shortened to the correct length:

Installation was very easy and straight forward, and below is the finished result.

Here's the installation almost done:

And here it is with the radiator-to-hood vent back in place:

I started it up and car runs good and no check engine light - I didn't disconnect the battery so was standing by with my code reader to clear codes and CEL, but didn't need it.

I couldn't drive the car - they're repaving our street and it's all torn up!! Was supposed to be a one-day job - right!!! its been 8 days now and probably won't be done until the middle of next week. I parked our truck in the alley around back to have a vehicle to drive for the one day the street would be unusable - glad I did that!!!
The following users liked this post:
Halltech (11-03-2016)
Old 11-03-2016, 08:10 PM
Halltech
Supporting Vendor

Received 583 Likes on 313 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Thanks for your assistance guys, I emailed him yesterday and basically told him the same thing. It can be a pain, but the radiator hoses when moved slightly per the video do provide around 1/2" to 3/4" clearance.

"World Class Performance for your Corvette"
Intake Design and Engineering since 1999
Halltech Systems, LLC
262-510-7600

For service email:
orders@halltechsystems.com

www.halltechsystems.com

Old 11-03-2016, 08:22 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

^^^^^^

Hi Jim - I wish I could get my car out and down my torn up street to let my SOTP dyno see what your intake does!! Probably another week before I get to turn it loose.

I will be running the car at Daytona Dec 9-11 at an HPDE we're having here, and that should be a good test for it. I ran the car here at Henry Gilbert's HPDE the beginning of Oct in stock configuration. It was probably a little warmer than it will be in Dec, but not much.

I also have your TRIC, and I'll probably install it as well before the track event. At 175-180mph it should add some ram air!!!

I did just what you said in your videos to do with those coolant hoses, and I ended up with about 1/2" of clearance.

Can't wait to try the car out with my new intake!

Get notified of new replies

To Halltech Stinger Install - Hood won't close

Quick Reply: Halltech Stinger Install - Hood won't close