C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Is this a fair price for this tire job?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 06:31 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Is this a fair price for this tire job?

Background info: ran over a long bolt that punctured the driver side rear tire and made a hole in the wheel. Neither is repairable. Bought new tire from Costco, they said they could easily do the install for me. I told the manager about the large wheel and tire, he said no problem. Well, 3 hours later, it was closing time, and they hadn't been able to get new tire onto new wheel, and in the process of trying, badly scratched the wheel. They paid for a new wheel.

I then had my car towed to the dealer, asked them to do the following:

Remove damaged tire & wheel from car, take tire off wheel. I'll take the wheel home, they dispose of the tire.

Mount and balance new tire & wheel, transfer TPMS from old wheel to new wheel. Install on car.

Cost is $160.

Thanks!

Last edited by 427Z0SX; 11-23-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 11-23-2016, 06:36 PM
mowe
Drifting

Received 217 Likes on 108 Posts

It's not a deal... should cost about 40bucks
Old 11-23-2016, 06:49 PM
BarneyZ
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Discount Tire has done a 4 wheel dismount-mount and balance for about $135.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:05 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by BarneyZ
Discount Tire has done a 4 wheel dismount-mount and balance for about $135.
I called them and was told they didn't have the correct equipment for the job, they also admitted that they had difficulty in the past with mounting Corvette tire/wheel.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:08 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Discount tire has flipped 4 tires on rims and balanced the wheels for less than $50 for me. If I can talk them out of taking out the TPMS sensors when they don't have to I get it done for about $15 less.

Bill
Old 11-23-2016, 09:10 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

At least the Dealer did it. The key is it a Z or not? the 335/25/20 ZPs both SC and SS are a bear to do. If you got it done without them destroying the wheel or tire you are ahead of the game. My DT scarred up a perfectly good set of wheels trying to add different TPMSs to them. Luckily only under the tire on the exterior of the barrel so I can fix their scratch marks with a can of black gloss, but still they just did a terrible job. My local dealer uses a Ricer Tire Shop near their store. I have had 3 sets mounted and balanced by them this week already. Their charges ranged from $100 to $140. However I still maintain that if they did it and the tire and rim are in good shape and not full of tire snot you are ahead of the game even at $160.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:34 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

Good thread and thanks for the information. I was wondering about that when I looked at the size of the tires on the Z. It was not a problem with the Stingray, but they are smaller. I will probably stick with my dealer when I replace the tires.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:31 PM
427Z0SX
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by pkincy
At least the Dealer did it. The key is it a Z or not? the 335/25/20 ZPs both SC and SS are a bear to do. If you got it done without them destroying the wheel or tire you are ahead of the game. My DT scarred up a perfectly good set of wheels trying to add different TPMSs to them. Luckily only under the tire on the exterior of the barrel so I can fix their scratch marks with a can of black gloss, but still they just did a terrible job. My local dealer uses a Ricer Tire Shop near their store. I have had 3 sets mounted and balanced by them this week already. Their charges ranged from $100 to $140. However I still maintain that if they did it and the tire and rim are in good shape and not full of tire snot you are ahead of the game even at $160.
Yep, this is for my 2016 Z06. So here's the latest: dealer couldn't do it either, at least not tonight. I was told that the runflat is really, really stiff, and the cold weather doesn't help. So I had to leave the car there. They said that Friday they will soak the tire in some hot solution to soften it up, and try again. I specifically asked them to make sure that no damage is done to my new wheel. They also told me that if they can't get it done on Friday, then they will subcontract it out to a shop next door that CAN do it. That shop was too busy tonight to take on my case.
Old 11-23-2016, 10:48 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Yup, my local top Chebby dealer also sends out the Corvette Z06 tires to somebody that can do it well. They are a wheel/tire shop that sells truck/SUV/ricer wheels and are very familiar with 20-22s with low aspect ratios. They just pulled MPSSs and MPSC2s off of my ZR1 and 16Z06 wheels and put them on my Forgeline AR-1s and Morr VS52s. They did an outstanding job. I am told experience is the key with the back tires.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:29 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

I don't like run flats they are noisy and bumpy plus they don't act well on bumpy curves (for me). I replace them. if I get a flat I call AAA or pay up for a flatbed.
Old 11-24-2016, 02:05 AM
stuckn1st
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Discount tire has flipped 4 tires on rims and balanced the wheels for less than $50 for me. If I can talk them out of taking out the TPMS sensors when they don't have to I get it done for about $15 less.

Bill
Just had this done to my Z for little next to nothing with no damage to the wheel.
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2016, 05:42 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 2fastnow
I don't like run flats they are noisy and bumpy plus they don't act well on bumpy curves (for me). I replace them. if I get a flat I call AAA or pay up for a flatbed.
I am not a runflat fan either, I carry a small compressor (VIAIR) that has a nice carry bag with some tools and Dynaplug kit in the compartment in the rear of the corvette. I also put a large can of Slime in the cargo net. If those don't fix it for me a call to onstar and a rollback is the order of the day. I do this in my other wheeled toys as well.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:10 AM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kyflyer
I am not a runflat fan either, I carry a small compressor (VIAIR) that has a nice carry bag with some tools and Dynaplug kit in the compartment in the rear of the corvette. I also put a large can of Slime in the cargo net. If those don't fix it for me a call to onstar and a rollback is the order of the day. I do this in my other wheeled toys as well.
I wanted to do that too but i read somewhere the slime or similar sealant ruins the wheel sensors. I have that aftermarket donut tire kit in one of my cars with a nice cover to hide it in the trunk.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:30 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

I wanted to do that too but i read somewhere the slime or similar sealant ruins the wheel sensors. I have that aftermarket donut tire kit in one of my cars with a nice cover to hide it in the trunk.
I don't have firsthand knowledge about using Slime and the sensors, however, the newer Slime has a sensor safe statement on it. Even if it didn't I would still use it and pay the price of a toasted sensor. If the tire is a total loss then it is rollback time and the waiting game. There is no place in the corvette to realistically put any type of spare. I took the runflats off the stingray and also my other vehicles and the ride and performance were definitely improved. It depends upon chance and odds I suppose, but I am a gambler by nature.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:27 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kyflyer
I don't have firsthand knowledge about using Slime and the sensors, however, the newer Slime has a sensor safe statement on it. Even if it didn't I would still use it and pay the price of a toasted sensor. If the tire is a total loss then it is rollback time and the waiting game. There is no place in the corvette to realistically put any type of spare. I took the runflats off the stingray and also my other vehicles and the ride and performance were definitely improved. It depends upon chance and odds I suppose, but I am a gambler by nature.
I think you're right and that's good that they have a disclaimer for that stuff. I'm going with that type kit.
Old 11-24-2016, 11:43 PM
BERETTA
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts

Some shops can do these and some can't, you have to find a tire tech with a special touch. In my opinion it has nothing to do with the equipment, it is the tire tech. Not every town has a Discount Tire or other large tire store. Mounting these tires is not easy, you can watch the GM Video 10 times but unless you have the expertise it is not happening. If you find someone that can get it mounted for you with out damaging the wheel, pay what they want even if it's $50.00 per tire and remember the tech, this is not something to price shop.
Old 11-25-2016, 07:30 AM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Caveat emptor is the watch phrase for this. I am taking our Z in today for the 500 mile oil change and I will query my dealer about tire changing. They do push their service at this dealership and the sell tires as well. It may be my best bet for this. I have decided to try and live with the runflats until I wear them out. I changed them out on the stingray after 500 miles. I kept them on the mini trying to save some money and suffered a ripped inner sidewall after a hard run on the Tail of the Dragon. Luckily Michelin onsite was there and I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3's installed at Fontana. I hope I am not making a mistake with leaving them on the Z. The mini's were Dunlops. I traded the stingray with the Michelins on it, but threw the Michelin runflats in as part of the deal. I am considering the Continentals for this corvette and may swap these out early as well. I may and try get a trade in deal for the tires!

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a fair price for this tire job?

Old 11-25-2016, 11:05 AM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

That's why I shy away from after market rims nowadays. I can't find the proper people to do the work right! It depends where you live. I dread getting new tires just because they never balance them right!!
Old 11-25-2016, 11:16 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

That's why I shy away from after market rims nowadays. I can't find the proper people to do the work right! It depends where you live. I dread getting new tires just because they never balance them right!!
I found a shop I like for the tire work and have had 3 sets of Michelin ZP tires both MPSS and MPSC mounted this week. On Tuesday I was complimenting them on their ability to do the work. He mentioned that the nearby Chevy Dealer sends all their tire work to them. But he also mentioned that the Aftermarket Rims (I have Forgelines and Morrs as well as OEM) were much easier to do than the OEM. Apparently it has to do with the outer barrel design and its step rim and its proximity to the bead.
Old 11-25-2016, 12:16 PM
rwheelz
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

My local chevy dealer charges $80 to mount and balance a set of 4.

Quick Reply: Is this a fair price for this tire job?