C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Z06 ordered with Engine Build & Buyers Tour

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 12:05 AM
a striper
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 120 Posts

Congratulations!
The following 2 users liked this post by a striper:
mjdart (04-26-2017), VetterFlyer (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 09:10 AM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

They also gave me a very nice and exclusive Engine Build Experience shirt with a Z06 hat. Very nice, I'm going to hit the factory store soon as it has items only available at the plant. Bring Cash that's all that's accepted.

Engine Build shirt given to participants, unavailable elsewhere

Nice Z06 hat as well
Old 04-26-2017, 09:30 AM
bearmans
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Michael,
Congrats on your build!
Glad I had a chance to meet you during the evacuation drill.
Enjoy your Z for many year to come.

Barry

Last edited by bearmans; 04-26-2017 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mjdart (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:02 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

I did the buyers tour in 15 with our purchase and loved every minute and so did the wife. It started one afternoon and finished the end of the second day (there was an lengthy line stoppage on day 2). During the tour the guide asked of I wanted anything from the 'line'. I got build sheets, screws, templates, extra stickers (door jam), plastic alignment tools, and at on point a worker came running towards us and he had signed a blank piece of paper with his name and date and 'thanks for buying a Corvette' message. That was pretty powerful. Very special to me and something I will never forget. We had been instructed not to engage anyone, which we did unless they came to talk, meet and greet us, which more than half did.
We had lunch in the cafeteria with the workers and did get a chance to talk to many at that point. The book is awesome. I think I have something now I can never sell. May you enjoy.
mjdart (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 04:46 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Wow what a great experience you had, that's fantastic, thanks for the heads up I'll ask for some assembly paperwork

Entered the factory today for scheduled car build at 1:45 pm, we walked into the trim area and I saw my car drop down from above on the conveyor and workers began installing lots of stuff including stereo speakers, wiring harnesses, ductwork for transmission cooler, cooling lines for tranny. My tour guide photographer Al Hurlbutt is very knowledgeable on all aspects of what is being done. He learned over the years and walking completely thru the line when his car was built put him over the top for knowledge. Close to 1 hour later the line came to a stop and everyone went home, with me looking over at my car abandoned to spend the night next to the area where cars come of the line fully assembled. So I'm back in tomorrow for the continuation of the build at 6:12 am, should be a full day with completion coming early Friday morning.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:34 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Just got back from dinner with Chuck Valentini the Corvette Body and Paint Manager, great new facilities are almost ready to bring on-line for 2018. They will keep existing facilities open as they phase in the new. They have created a place for Plant Tours to be able to see the processes from a nice vantage point. The plant management team in my opinion is very much in tune with the Corvette community and understands the unique relationship that exists and I believe thy will continue to foster its growth.

As I left the Montana grill I pulled around behind and entered the Hilton Hotel parking lot Corvettes were every where, it's a pilgrimage to witness the birth of my Z06...

Last edited by mjdart; 04-26-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:48 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Just spent a full 8 hours watching my car being assembled by a really great bunch of skilled assemblers. Many came over to thank me, some joked around buy pretending to install a white top trim piece over halo and then they asked me how it looks. I told them they might have made the car much more valuable by making it a rare tu-tone

The Plant Manager Kai Spande went out of his way to come find me on the line to check out my car, Chuck Valentini the Paint and Body Shop Manager even came looking for me. Really nice bunch of people working at the plant. Al Hurlbutt my guide got photos of all the big assembly highlights. Al really knows the manufacturing process, he's invaluable. He tell you exactly what every work station is doing as the car glides in. He can tell exactly where the car will be at all breaks and lunch time. The time was getting close for my engine to be installed in the chassis so we cut across the plant and Al on the first attempt walked direct to my engine which was in a group, I was amazed. Several of the girls came over and told me the Long Beach Red with Kalahari is their favorite combo, that's not a bad thing to hear!

I had given Sarah my engine builder a gift and her husband that works there found his way over to thank me and give me a nice tip on where to get C7 clothing and other stuff the factory workers wear.

Well we will be there at 6:12 when the line starts up again Friday, my car is hanging just as it left the station where all fluids were added. The wheels and tires are bolted on, which really make it look great.

Found out the Supercharger has it own closed loop cooling system with reservoir very low and just behind radiators. Nothing is mentioned in the manual on when the coolant should be changed.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:09 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

At the Start of the Build when I met Sarah my Engine Builder

4-26-17 Ready to enter for the first of three days of assembly

Last edited by mjdart; 04-28-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:47 AM
boomerangj
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdart

4-26-17 Ready to enter for the first of three days of assembly

This is an awesome thread. The $5k number for the engine build experience seemed a bit steep to me. Now I'm thinking it's one heck of an invaluable experience!
Old 04-29-2017, 09:58 AM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey Michael, I waved at you guys a couple of times on Tuesday but you were appropriately engrossed in Engine Build.

Kai and his team did magic and my Z was out the door, fully dressed and QC'd, Wednesday afternoon. They removed the hold and released it to Transport the same day. Invoice was sent to my Dealer on Thursday morning and J57 applied!!!

I was in Customer facing businesses most of my professional life and the Corvette Team in Bowling Green is one of the best - in any industry.

Last edited by DRTBYK; 04-29-2017 at 10:46 AM.
mjdart (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 10:43 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

congrats,
Old 04-29-2017, 02:23 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Meet Kai in the Buyers Tour Room

Old 04-29-2017, 02:25 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DRTBYK
Hey Michael, I waved at you guys a couple of times on Tuesday but you were appropriately engrossed in Engine Build.

Kai and his team did magic and my Z was out the door, fully dressed and QC'd, Wednesday afternoon. They removed the hold and released it to Transport the same day. Invoice was sent to my Dealer on Thursday morning and J57 applied!!!

I was in Customer facing businesses most of my professional life and the Corvette Team in Bowling Green is one of the best - in any industry.
My car didn't build out until Friday morning about 8:30, may not be so lucky with the J57.............
Old 04-29-2017, 02:28 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

A few build photos

Old 04-29-2017, 02:37 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Inspecting and cleaning sealing surface with special solution

Loading oil pan in the robotic RTV applicator

Using finger anlysis to start machine

Torqueing down oil pan bolts using torque sequence guide

Last edited by mjdart; 04-29-2017 at 02:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:40 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by boomerangj
This is an awesome thread. The $5k number for the engine build experience seemed a bit steep to me. Now I'm thinking it's one heck of an invaluable experience!
This is a very extensive full hands on experience, I was tired when we got done using either big torque machines or hand held high tech torque wrenches I had to make 325 torques on every fastener! Then the computer analyzed all in a full report as all machines are monitoring by the computer, you can't advance until it's correct.

I initialed several components and Thursday I was under my cars chassis as it came overhead with the newly installed engine, let me tell you that was a very cool feeling...

Last edited by mjdart; 04-29-2017 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:42 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

My car didn't build out until Friday morning about 8:30, may not be so lucky with the J57.............
I'd guess that they will keep your car in hold until Monday to turn over to Transport - at which time a Vehicle Invoice is generated. When that happens, if it is before close of business on Monday, you might be OK - at least according to my Dealer.
mjdart (04-29-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Z06 ordered with Engine Build & Buyers Tour

Old 04-29-2017, 02:57 PM
DRTBYK
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

This is a very extensive full hands on experience, I was tired when we got done using either big torque machines or hand held high tech torque wrenches I had to make 325 torques
Working out is in order Michael...

I wish I could afford a wireless programmable Torque Wrench like they use on the Build line. Very cool - and only $6300.

Old 04-29-2017, 03:17 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DRTBYK
Working out is in order Michael...

I wish I could afford a wireless programmable Torque Wrench like they use on the Build line. Very cool - and only $6300.

I love those, exactly like I used to torque the fuel lines with the double values an the LED display, super light also

Last edited by mjdart; 04-29-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:29 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

All QC Points checked by inspector & stamped - complete

Last edited by mjdart; 04-29-2017 at 07:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Z06 ordered with Engine Build & Buyers Tour