C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Supercharger differences

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 05:24 AM
HIT
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger differences

To the people who has gone the Procharger route, this may have been talked about before, but in your opinion and experience, what is the drivability difference of the Stock blower -(Pully,Headers,Cai,Meth,Tune)...vs..Proc harger F1 or X (Heads,Cam,Meth,Headers,Tune)? Hows it FEEL ????? Be honest would you go back or wish it came like that ?
Old 03-16-2017, 10:03 AM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Can we also ask about the Whipple? I'm curious how the power delivery is for all these in comparison to the stock one we have. TIA.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:07 AM
kazoo794
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the question, I am in the market for one and shopping around.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:31 AM
WuTang
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Bump

Also wondering how is drivability with a procharger and a bumpy cam...
Old 03-16-2017, 12:50 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

The cam is whatever the cam is - that's up to you. But switching from a positive displacement blower to a centrifugal gives up a lot - like a couple of hundred lb ft of torque down low. They make up for it with the top-end charge at the track, however.

Let's say 2500rpm, in-town cruising. With the TVS you're making 600lbft. With a centrifugal you're likely just starting to see boost, maybe 350 lbtf.

There's a big difference between 600 and 350 lbft of torque, so you lose all that. Now at a screaming 6500 I bet the Procharger can pull an extra 100, 150hp out of it. But not down low.

Thankfully, the 6.2L engine is by itself large enough (which is why you still have 350 lbft without a bunch of boost).

If, right now, you think the LT4 is -too- powerful down low, then you'd likely not be disappointed with the loss.

What's you goal though? If it's a quicker dragstrip ET, then a new blower such as a centrifugal makes a lot of sense. If it's just to make the car more fun to drive, you might go backwards.

Last edited by davepl; 03-16-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:50 PM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Simply stated, the original Z06 blower, as well as the Whipple punch harder at low revs. The trade off is that they run out of breath above 5000 rpm, and because of this, the centrifugals post significantly higher peak HP numbers. For a car that is primarily street driven, the positive displacement superchargers will be more fun, and this from a guy that runs an F1C Procharger on a 427 C5.
The following 2 users liked this post by marco383:
Evan Sanza (01-14-2023), Is2scooby (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:10 PM
mtaylor
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I've heard that you can gain some of the low end back by over spinning the procharger and using blow off valves to limit max boost. It's harder on the blower though.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:16 PM
marco383
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by mtaylor
I've heard that you can gain some of the low end back by over spinning the procharger and using blow off valves to limit max boost. It's harder on the blower though.
As an engineer, that concept irritates me. While I realize that owners of modded 'Vettes aren't into economy, it will also further reduce fuel mileage. Just adding a cetrifugal without intentionally overspinning it costs 3-5 mpg, even when driven sanely.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:19 PM
mtaylor
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by marco383
As an engineer, that concept irritates me. While I realize that owners of modded 'Vettes aren't into economy, it will also further reduce fuel mileage. Just adding a cetrifugal without intentionally overspinning it costs 3-5 mpg, even when driven sanely.
Totally agree however most people adding aftermarket supercharger would still probably do it even if it only got 5mpg all the time.
The following users liked this post:
vtknight (03-17-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 09:56 PM
2019 ZR1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 447 Likes on 315 Posts

I went with the ProCharger F-1A and love it. I also have American racing headers and my car is at the shop right now getting a meth kit and I'm going with E85. With the Akrapovic exhaust it sounds and run bad a$$.. Sure for the track it might not be the right set up but for the street it is awesome. I don't track my car so I feel I made the right decision. If you want to sit and spin tires at the stop light keep your stock supercharger and add pulleys and bla bla bla. Same with Whipple again if you want to spin your tires get one.. As far as the 3-5 mpg fuel lose goes who gives a **** when you're kicking the Whipple or pulley guys a$$... Just my thoughts...
Old 03-16-2017, 10:19 PM
BooSSted
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 250 Posts

Who the hell buys a performance car and is honestly concerned with MPG?
As stated those who actually mod and play beyond the lots for cars n coffee could careless.
The following users liked this post:
2019 ZR1 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 12:58 AM
jbenz_21
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i don't understand why would you be concerned with MPG from the beginning anyway when youre talking about a Corvette...

drive it like you stole it
Old 03-17-2017, 08:08 PM
FastestBusaAround
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 132 Posts

Have had many Twin Screw/ Roots / PD and Centri blowers...on Vettes and numerous other cars/ trucks. If not racing, I always prefer the non-centri blowers because of the huge TQ down low, because you're also not revving the **** out of the car in normal street driving.

BOV's are noisy and sometimes very fickle - and you don't have them in non-centri blowers (a good thing). They sound like a street sweeper during normal use.

I'll take the huge TQ/ power down low vs. the higher power up north of 5K RPM any day. Rather make power with the engine working less, rather than more. And it makes for a more fun driver.

It's a personal preference, but YMMV...

Factory blowers are never centri blowers...gotta ask why that is.
The following 2 users liked this post by FastestBusaAround:
AZGASSER (03-18-2017), Bad Dad (03-19-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 11:07 PM
CobraAaron
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Who actually has a Whipple on a C7Z?
Old 03-17-2017, 11:48 PM
vtknight
Drifting

Received 462 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by FastestBusaAround
Have had many Twin Screw/ Roots / PD and Centri blowers...on Vettes and numerous other cars/ trucks. If not racing, I always prefer the non-centri blowers because of the huge TQ down low, because you're also not revving the **** out of the car in normal street driving.

BOV's are noisy and sometimes very fickle - and you don't have them in non-centri blowers (a good thing). They sound like a street sweeper during normal use.

I'll take the huge TQ/ power down low vs. the higher power up north of 5K RPM any day. Rather make power with the engine working less, rather than more. And it makes for a more fun driver.

It's a personal preference, but YMMV...

Factory blowers are never centri blowers...gotta ask why that is.
My guess is cost.

I actually bought my F1A centri PC for the exact opposite reason Busa likes roots or twin screw. The down low torque was too much and made the car undriveable to me. I found the centri added the perfect balance - and the F1A even without the cam and 18% lower I have on now still had solid boost building at about 4K. I hope to improve on that.

Also - roots especially are heat soakers. Twins are better - but they still have issues. I can tell you I am NOT a fan of SC's at all, but the PC route really worked well for me. The power comes on and stays on until you shift and then you are in power forever. Daily driving was fine for me and power was a downshift away.

I would say as of today I know more PC builds going on than any other package - and they are also putting down the best slips by far. SO form a performance and real world workability perspective - it's a strong solution.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:22 AM
HIT
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CobraAaron
Who actually has a Whipple on a C7Z?

I didn't suggest anything about MPG or a Whipple. Who gives a damn about that ? I'm talking about down low feel vs up high feel basically.
Old 03-18-2017, 08:41 AM
See06
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by jbenz_21
i don't understand why would you be concerned with MPG from the beginning anyway when youre talking about a Corvette...

drive it like you stole it
I think from an engineering stand point, burning 3-5 more mpg at cruising simple shows wasted energy. If the mixture is correct , using more fuel under load usually equates to more crank HP.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharger differences

Old 03-18-2017, 08:46 AM
mulalleybs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Are there any good superchargers to swap on that would be good for road courses still?
Old 03-18-2017, 10:54 AM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 245 Posts

Personally I prefer the PD blower because my car doesn't live above 5500 rpms the whole time. I like the torque down low because it's usable on a daily basis and a centri just doesn't have it. Sure a Centri is capable of making more power than the stock PD blower but that's not my concern on this vehicle. I'm waiting for the new 2650 rotor pack blowers to come out this year and then I'll upgrade. I also like efficiency and I DO care about gas mileage, it's the tuner in me to optimize things.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:36 PM
BrunoTheMellow
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,396 Likes on 999 Posts

Do you guys have trouble with traction in 1st and 2nd with the stock blower?

Quick Reply: Supercharger differences