C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Scuff marks/chips

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 05:04 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Scuff marks/chips

I have a 17' Z06 (Z07) with 2200 miles and I have a couple chips but mostly scuff marks on the front and on the sides and I'm not sure how to get rid of these. They are even with the paint and the surface is smooth but I see these brownish marks. Not sure how to get rid of them. Im not experienced in using sand paper or something to get them out. I did order some touch up paint from local dealership but I don't think that will work on these scuff marks. I did order clearastic paint protection and plan on getting the front done in Xpel. I want to get rid of these marks before I do that. Anybody have any info on what I can do to get them out?
Old 03-18-2017, 05:27 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I noticed a lot of scuffs and small scratches can be removed with a car was/cleaner. I use Mothers and it works for me. Stay away from the sandpaper and touchup paint until you try the wax and rub.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:26 PM
lgodom
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 208 Posts

I use meguiars M205 for cleaning up paint scuffs either by hand or machine. It's the best mild abrasive polish that I've used. I'd try this with a microfiber applicator or polishing cloth and see If the scuffs come off. Usually if you can't feel them they can be removed.

Last edited by lgodom; 03-18-2017 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:52 AM
BOBSZ857
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 168 Posts

Pinnacle makes a paint cleanser that works well on this. I use it with a polisher and love the results.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Florida2000
Pro

Received 93 Likes on 51 Posts

Start with Mother's cleaner wax, apply by hand with a cotton, foam or microfiber pad, then wipe off. You can get this almost anywhere.

Some stains wipe right off, others require some elbow grease / multiple applications.

It wont correct paint but its a great place to start.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:44 PM
snow
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 220 Likes on 171 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10, '17-'18-'19

any one have any idea on paint chips? I have one that was caused by a small rock...
Old 03-19-2017, 02:47 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Chips I can't help with, but for scuffs and scratches I've been VERY impressed with the Meguiar's Microfibre Correction System (weird name, good product).

It's got the power of a rotary with the safety of an orbital and I've managed to knock out some stuff that I thought was way too deep for buffing, but I managed. And yet it doesn't seem to remove a lot of material, kind of paradoxical, I know...

No affiliation with them, just an impressed customer.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:41 PM
jujy
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkgrayVetteZ06
I have a 17' Z06 (Z07) with 2200 miles and I have a couple chips but mostly scuff marks on the front and on the sides and I'm not sure how to get rid of these. They are even with the paint and the surface is smooth but I see these brownish marks. Not sure how to get rid of them. Im not experienced in using sand paper or something to get them out. I did order some touch up paint from local dealership but I don't think that will work on these scuff marks. I did order clearastic paint protection and plan on getting the front done in Xpel. I want to get rid of these marks before I do that. Anybody have any info on what I can do to get them out?
You might check with your Xpel installer. When I took my car in to have the rear end covered-for some dumb reason I didn't have it done at the same time as the rest of the car-I had some scratches on the back that they were able to get rid of. The best part is they only charged me $40. Doesn't hurt to ask.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:50 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by snow
any one have any idea on paint chips? I have one that was caused by a small rock...
If the chips are pretty small, I have had good luck with Dr. Color Chip. It does not fill the chips but colors them with a diluted paint in your color so they are very hared to see a few feet away. About $35 for a kit of sufficient volume to handle most cars' chips for quite some time. Even a deeper chip will visually improve from this process but won't pass a closer inspection.

If you want to repair a deeper chip and don't want to paint an entire panel, I have had success filing then carefully west sanding and polishing the filled chip. You can fill a deeper chip by repeatedly dabbing a small amount of touch up paint (available from GM dealer), letting it dry thoroughly, then adding more layer by layer until it is built up above the paint surface. After it has dried hard (I give it a week or so), using a very small block of wood (a 1" piece of 3/8" x 3/8" wood) and at least 1200 grit wet dry paper carefully take it down to the paint without scuffing too much around it. Then do the same with, say, 2200 and then 3000. After that using the Mother's or other products you can compound and polish out so it is hard to spot. Some high end detail shops will also to this if you don't want to yourself.

Lastly, you can always do what I did when I got a stone chip that went through my Xpel and into the paint. Repairing it would mean removing and replacing the Xpel and then refinishing the front bumper section, which I did not want to do, so I simply ignore it and accept that I have a slightly imperfect car!--Bob
Old 03-22-2017, 05:00 PM
SharkgrayVetteZ06
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks to all you that chimed it, lets say I use that cleaner wax, what color will it be under? What should I do to get those spots repainted. I don't think the touch paint will make it look as new since some of the scuffs are the size of a finger nail... Honestly regret not getting paint protection before hand. I thought maybe since I had stage 3 aero and installed splash guards that I would be okay but a lot of trucks and car on the road throw rocks back....If not I'm just going to put xpel and clearastic on and just not worry about the old chips and instead ill try not to get any more

Last edited by SharkgrayVetteZ06; 03-22-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Scuff marks/chips

Quick Reply: Scuff marks/chips