C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

More Z06 intake testing and R&D....

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 02:33 AM
Pacembellum
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 507 Posts

Old 04-14-2017, 10:25 AM
carlsonjw
Heel & Toe

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

Interested in this filter.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:38 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Good stuff Terry, You and I really need to play around just a bit on the dyno sometime!!
Old 04-14-2017, 02:29 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 135 Posts

If you ever need any tuning help with yours no problem. I've had mine out at the last 4 1/2 mile races and I normally log the runs and make minor tweaks if I see anything out of place. The best way to get in to understanding your tuning is to learn how to datalog and evaluate that data. With this platform its all super easy and straightforward.

Last edited by Terry@BMS; 04-14-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:05 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Terry Burger07
If you ever need any tuning help with yours no problem. I've had mine out at the last 4 1/2 mile races and I normally log the runs and make minor tweaks if I see anything out of place. The best way to get in to understanding your tuning is to learn how to datalog and evaluate that data. With this platform its all super easy and straightforward.
VERY Cool Terry, I have HP tuners on my laptop, and have already purchased the extra credits when we did the tuning at Westech...

Looks like I'm going to put another tune on my car for Torco 99 Oxygenated fuel, running Meth as well..

Maybe use that one on the road course sometimes, and Half/standing mile stuff...
Old 04-14-2017, 05:08 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

What I did with my tuning that seems counter intuitive but helped actual performance was dropping midrange timing to reduce torque and improve traction.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:35 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

What I did with my tuning that seems counter intuitive but helped actual performance was dropping midrange timing to reduce torque and improve traction.
Once I get a little heat in my Toyo 345 R888s, they really do bite pretty good!
Old 04-18-2017, 10:29 AM
Al3x_666
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Terry do you when your filter will be available for purchase?

I have canceled my halltech...
Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 AM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Hoping to have a batch in a week or so.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:43 AM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Hoping to have a batch in a week or so.
Sweet!!!

Can you please explain in a little more detail why the filter alone can possibly mess with it enough to require a tune? I was under the impression the issue with the CAI was the incorrect size and flow around the mass airflow unit. If you're leaving the stock intake why does more flow through the filter potentially push the limit? I would have figured the stock tune could handle more air with all other things being equal. Lastly, would one of those aftermarket was air flow sensors help in this situation or are those things nonsensical in this application?

Thanks!

Best,
Gene
Old 04-18-2017, 10:47 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

I would be interested in the filter for my '17 Z51.

\db2
Old 04-18-2017, 02:03 PM
Getyup
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dbaker
I would be interested in the filter for my '17 Z51.

\db2
Count me in for one as well👍
Old 04-18-2017, 02:29 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by phantasms
Sweet!!!
Can you please explain in a little more detail why the filter alone can possibly mess with it enough to require a tune?
It turns out the primary driving factor with the aftermarket intake MAF scaling isn't the MAF housing itself, but the fact that it remains so oversized relative to flow requirements for our power levels.

The factory filter by design diverts slightly more airflow in the center of the MAF housing than the perimeter, but doing this introduces a restriction.

When adding an intake with a huge filter you get slightly more airflow along the perimeter and slightly less in the center, due to the nature of how the filters are configured to reduce restriction, and this minor variation is enough to effect the sensor reading 8-15%. On the low end of that scale you get a leaner AFR, bit more timing, and of course more boost from the restriction reduction, and can get away with the stock tuning which is a little too rich anyway. On the high end you wind up too lean and need to change the MAF scaling in the tune to compensate.

In removing the restrictions within the factory filter we've fallen in to the same boat. What I don't fully know yet is where along the scale we'll fall. We could make an electronic device that sits between the MAF senor and DME to allow some tuning for those who don't want to tune. But HP tuners is so widely used and inexpensive it would be hard to justify development costs.

Last edited by Terry@BMS; 04-18-2017 at 02:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
phantasms (04-18-2017)
Old 04-18-2017, 05:08 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

Terry, I noted that 8-15% in your last post, closer to 8% maybe good, closer to 15% maybe not so good.

Then I went to your first post and after looking at all the percent's it looks like the AFE with its slightly smaller air tube diameter (by my own rough measurement) and using the "low flow" gray filter looks like a better match for performance by not getting to lean to cause retard/reduced performance where as the 15% side maybe a problem. AFE may have done their home work.

Note: your setup has a pulley, etc. and the AFE and your stock replacement filter made approx. the same power so on a stocker the AFE may be a better fit and less likely to set a code from what I'm seeing here.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 04-18-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:59 PM
Taimur
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be definitely interested as long it doesn't require tuning on my '17 Z.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:09 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by C7/Z06 Man
Then I went to your first post and after looking at all the percent's it looks like the AFE with its slightly smaller air tube diameter (by my own rough measurement) and using the "low flow" gray filter looks like a better match for performance by not getting to lean to cause retard/reduced performance where as the 15% side maybe a problem. AFE may have done their home work.
In dyno tuning each to get proper MAF calibration the AFE w/ dry filter and this drop in wound up with the same basic MAF correction factor. Since the AFE works OK with the stock tuning "most of the time", I am hopeful our drop in will also, but it's not guaranteed at this point. And we all know several cars have problems with the AFE and Haltech intakes so that likely will be the same case with this drop in. We'll have to see.

Worst case if nothing else if you are planning to tune anyway no reason to spend $500 for an poor fitting intake that does the same thing as a $100 filter replacement.

Last edited by Terry@BMS; 04-18-2017 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:44 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,551 Likes on 529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

In dyno tuning each to get proper MAF calibration the AFE w/ dry filter and this drop in wound up with the same basic MAF correction factor. Since the AFE works OK with the stock tuning "most of the time", I am hopeful our drop in will also, but it's not guaranteed at this point. And we all know several cars have problems with the AFE and Haltech intakes so that likely will be the same case with this drop in. We'll have to see.

Worst case if nothing else if you are planning to tune anyway no reason to spend $500 for an poor fitting intake that does the same thing as a $100 filter replacement.
So whatever your test filter was from X brand... I imagine that is safer for those with no tune if yours requires it, or if "most of the time" if people don't want to take the chance, chances are the one that flows a little less would be "safer". Would that be right?

Get notified of new replies

To More Z06 intake testing and R&D....

Old 04-18-2017, 08:14 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Z0Sick6
So whatever your test filter was from X brand... I imagine that is safer for those with no tune if yours requires it, or if "most of the time" if people don't want to take the chance, chances are the one that flows a little less would be "safer". Would that be right?
There was a strange anomaly in the testing though... While brand X flowed better than stock on the flow bench, it did not produce more HP than stock on the dyno. On my to-do list is to figure out why before I share that data.

I don't believe a typical drop will hurt anything as long as its a dry filter. But unless you happen to need a new filter I don't believe it's an upgrade either, or at least have not yet been able to prove it is.

Last edited by Terry@BMS; 04-18-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:34 PM
Z0Sick6
Le Mans Master

Location: North/Central NJ - a.k.a. Gotti in the CFNE section
Received 1,551 Likes on 529 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

There was a strange anomaly in the testing though... While brand X flowed better than stock on the flow bench, it did not produce more HP than stock on the dyno. On my to-do list is to figure out why before I share that data.

I don't believe a typical drop will hurt anything as long as its a dry filter. But unless you happen to need a new filter I don't believe it's an upgrade either, or at least have not yet been able to prove it is.
not sure what filter or if it was dry or oiled. But the lightly oiled green filter showed an 11 whp gain on a 17z. He had borla x pipe and ported tb. Dynod after each mod and the filter added 11rwp.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:58 PM
0Terry@BMS
Former Vendor

Link to that dyno testing and data? I've found normally when people post results like that they fail to include a log of boost & AFR with them. If you are not watching everything carefully you could easily have a 10-15hp variance between runs especially on the stock tuning which is very temperature dependent.

Last edited by Terry@BMS; 04-18-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: More Z06 intake testing and R&D....