C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Fasterproms Expansion Tank DIY with pictures

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 05:46 PM
eddie08z06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Fasterproms Expansion Tank DIY with pictures

Hello everyone,

Wanted to take some time a do a writeup on the install on the Fasterproms Expansion tank for the Z06.

First an foremost the expansion tank fit and finish is 10/10. Perfect. Amazing job Fasterproms team.

Ok so first what you want to do is unbox everything and gather all the tools stated in the instructions, very easy install minus one part that I personally had trouble with, which I will mention later.

Next what you want to do is remove the fluid exit ring and hose from the supercharger, keep in mind than fluid WILL leak out have some shop towels ready.

Next you want to remove the bolt by the vacuum pump shown in the picture below:

Next dry fit the tank and make sure it lines up the way it is intended and keep in mind under the front of the tank there are some OEM wires try to route them as best as possible so the tank is able to touch the mounting points. once the is done align the mounting positions and mount the tank securely to the car.

Also remove this oil line, it will be easier to install the hose.

Now fit the hose supplied for the tank feed line mount the top side oring and cut the bottom accordingly. When installing the oring i managed to fit it between the hose and supercharger, fits perfect and is secure.

For the next part i found it easier to remove the driver side hood lift support from the hood.

now you can remove the hose that feeds the heat exchanger, this was the hard part for me, its a tight fit for your hand so you will likely have to get a long pair of needle-nose pliers to do this.

now cut about 6 inches from the heat exchanger side and then put it back, then i zip tied it to the original looping point and routed it back to the exit off the tank and cut a little more from the expansion tank exit side.

now all you have to do is route the drain line to the bottom of the car, I routed it through the driver side fender under the headlight and it came down all the way to the triangle hole in front of the driver side wheels, instead of letting it hang freely I drilled a hole next to the triangular hole and pushed the drain hose through there, came out nicely and its easy to put a pan under and drain.

All Done!!

Hope this helped.

Regards,

Eddie
The following users liked this post:
rw99 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 10:04 PM
upcharger
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

thank u!
Old 04-26-2017, 11:03 PM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

Any logged IAT benefit ?
Old 04-27-2017, 05:37 AM
eddie08z06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by upcharger
thank u!
You're welcome
Old 04-27-2017, 05:41 AM
eddie08z06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by onfire
Any logged IAT benefit ?
Absolutely,

Car was at 110 iat2 after back to back passes at pbir recently in the south florida heat.

Ran literally back to back at a private event, and the car hit consistent times of 9.8 - 9.9 in the quarter mile without skipping a beat.

It does its job very well.
onfire (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 06:14 AM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm using the same tank and I like how you drilled the hole for the drain line. Are you using the thermal plates also?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:43 AM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eddie08z06
Absolutely,

Car was at 110 iat2 after back to back passes at pbir recently in the south florida heat.

Ran literally back to back at a private event, and the car hit consistent times of 9.8 - 9.9 in the quarter mile without skipping a beat.

That is impressive. What would you have expected iat2 on a stock tank ? ice used ?
Old 04-27-2017, 07:47 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Absolutely,

Did you log MAT (Manifold air temp) as well?

I don't think IAT2 is correct in HPT for our cars...Its way too cool

Thanks for the write up and pics of the install on the reservoir. That will help a lot of people out.

Any issue getting the system bled?
Old 04-27-2017, 09:26 AM
eddie08z06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bad Dad
I'm using the same tank and I like how you drilled the hole for the drain line. Are you using the thermal plates also?

Thanks, yes I'm using the thermal reduction plates also.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:32 AM
eddie08z06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

That is impressive. What would you have expected iat2 on a stock tank ? ice used ?
Before this tank I had the plastic edlebrock tank and iat2s were at 130-140. The last time I was at the track ice was used, but by the end of the first pass ice was melted and the back to back passes were still low.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:37 AM
eddie08z06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ajrothm
Did you log MAT (Manifold air temp) as well?

I don't think IAT2 is correct in HPT for our cars...Its way too cool

Thanks for the write up and pics of the install on the reservoir. That will help a lot of people out.

Any issue getting the system bled?
i didn't use HPT to monitor the iats, I looked at the live data on the car using dash logic, I think it's pretty accurate especially considering my runs at the drag strip, consistent same times and mph. Those numbers speak for themselves, boltons, e-85, and meth. 9.87. That leads me to believe the tank did its job at keeping my temps down and not pulling timing.

Very easy to drain. All I did was cut the gallon jug of distilled water I was using and slide it under the bumper then drained and refilled. Just make sure you fill to the very very top of the tank to avoid air and cavitation.
The following 2 users liked this post by eddie08z06:
Bad Dad (04-27-2017), onfire (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 10:04 AM
MrBlackZ06
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Was there an air pocket in the supercharger cooling system after you installed the tank? if so, how did you get the air out of the system?
Thanks.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:07 AM
onfire
Burning Brakes

Missed you had Meth. Makes it tougher to evaluate the tank.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:24 AM
eddie08z06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

yes, I have meth, but it doesn't activate until I am full throttle full boost. Regular daily driving I almost never use it. And also driving back to staging lane and also staging the car it's not used.
The following 2 users liked this post by eddie08z06:
Bad Dad (04-27-2017), onfire (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 10:36 AM
eddie08z06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MrBlackZ06
Was there an air pocket in the supercharger cooling system after you installed the tank? if so, how did you get the air out of the system?
Thanks.

You must fill up the tank before restarting the car anyway, and the recommendation from fasterproms is to fill within half an inch from the top. In stock trim the intercooler pump does not work until intake air temperature has reached a given threshold and a given amount of time has transpired.

If air gets into the system the intercooler pump will stop working. The reservoir allows for air to separate and rise to the top where it draws from the bottom which of course is all liquid.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:55 AM
MrBlackZ06
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it ok if I fill it with ACDelco Dex-Cool Antifreeze or I have to use something else?
Old 04-27-2017, 10:55 AM
eddie08z06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

The tank is very easy to evaluate in my opinion, I purchased the tank because in my opinion it is the best one on the market.

Easy to fill, ice compatible, easy to drain, extra cooling capacity, and amazing quality.

For easy comparison you can relate to boiling water for macaroni, lol. The more water you put in a pot for boiling macaroni the longer it will take to boil, right? Same concept here, adding fluid capacity to the blower the longer it will take to heat up. The water has to reach its heat capacity before it can start changing its temperature, so by having all that extra fluid it will take longer to heat up, and because you have all that extra fluid it will be easier to cool down also.

Get notified of new replies

To Fasterproms Expansion Tank DIY with pictures

Old 04-27-2017, 11:00 AM
eddie08z06
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MrBlackZ06
Is it ok if I fill it with ACDelco Dex-Cool Antifreeze or I have to use something else?

I use distilled water and a bottle of redline water wetter, this is because I never see freezing temps in south Florida. If you are in a climate that has freezing temps I would def use some dexcool-antifreeze.

Water has had a specific heat value of over 4.0 which is very high, which is hard to heat up and easy to cool, you can do 50-50 distilled water and dexcool if you have freezing climates, otherwise I would go all distilled water and a bottle of water wetter. (Maybe even 5-10 % dexcool if you want to give it a little "lube" so to speak, lol.
MrBlackZ06 (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 04:05 PM
TRANS DAMM
Melting Slicks

Received 1,190 Likes on 542 Posts

I use distilled water and a bottle of redline water wetter, this is because I never see freezing temps in south Florida. If you are in a climate that has freezing temps I would def use some dexcool-antifreeze.

Water has had a specific heat value of over 4.0 which is very high, which is hard to heat up and easy to cool, you can do 50-50 distilled water and dexcool if you have freezing climates, otherwise I would go all distilled water and a bottle of water wetter. (Maybe even 5-10 % dexcool if you want to give it a little "lube" so to speak, lol.
I filled mine with reg water with the thought when I ice the tank it will just be melted regular water anyway. Is there a benifit to the distilled?

Side note: I have a brand new never installed faterproms tank I will sell for $400 if anyone is interested

Last edited by TRANS DAMM; 04-27-2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:31 PM
Bad Dad
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 70 Likes on 60 Posts

You must fill up the tank before restarting the car anyway, and the recommendation from fasterproms is to fill within half an inch from the top. In stock trim the intercooler pump does not work until intake air temperature has reached a given threshold and a given amount of time has transpired.

If air gets into the system the intercooler pump will stop working. The reservoir allows for air to separate and rise to the top where it draws from the bottom which of course is all liquid.
also considering removing stock tank
Silvah Goat (11-27-2018)

Quick Reply: Fasterproms Expansion Tank DIY with pictures