C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Mobil 1 on sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 02:38 PM
dar02081961
Melting Slicks

Received 845 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by L Duncan
I will try to keep this brief...in the early 90's Castrol, started hydrocracking patrolium oil and noticed it really helped the performance characteristics...In fact they thought it helped it so much that they started calling it synthetic...Mobile 1, did an analysis of the oil and discovered it was not synthetic, but 100 percent patrolium oil...Well Mobile 1 sued Castrol and lost...the judge stated that because it had many(not all)of the same characteristics as true synthetic oil, it was ok to call it synthetic...The profit margin was huge on this ability to charge big money for an oil you can now call synthetic...All the manufactures started doing the same thing including Mobil 1(lol)...In Europe and Asia they cannot do this as they are bound by law to only sell a synthetic when it actually is...(group 4 and 5 oils)...the silver top Mobil 1 is a high quality group 3...But in the good old USA group 3's can be called "synthetic".........Google any of this and you will see I am correct....it's a huge scam the oil manufactures are doing over here to boost profits.....
Not going to hi-jack the thread but you are leaving a bunch of pertinent info out. I understand, as you weren't trying to get in the weeds.

However the fact is by industry standards Mobil 1 is a fully synthetic oil. Simply because hydrocracking is a synthetic process. And Hydrocracking is but one part of the process of making a synthetic oil. Another part is combining/rebuilding the hydrocracked molecules in a specific manner to achieve the desired characteristics of a superior oil. Crude oil can't get there without synthesis (without man). Also Hydrocracking does much more than just allow the chemist to remove/combat the tendency to break down into paraffin.

Your analogy is akin to us saying plastic isn't synthetic simply because it's made with carbon based oil. In the industry if something doesn't exist in nature naturally and relies on a manmade process to exist in its simplest form ...it is in fact synthetic.

You and others are inferring that because Mobil 1 and most synthetics rely on hydrocracked petroleum (a synthetic process within itself) to formulate their base stocks then build on that base stock to synthesize an oil........that this process is somehow inferior to the other companies approach of synthesizing oil from other raw materials. Neither method has been proven to be superior to the other for motor oil.

We use synthetic oil in our military turbine engines.
It is provided by Exxon/Mobil. It is essentially Mobil 1.

For most any automotive purpose Mobil 1 is just as good as any synthetic you will find.
Are there superior synthetics out there? Yes...but they aren’t that much superior for IC engine use.

By the way I was always told Mobil 1 is made from group IV PAO base stock which by your own definition would be fully synthetic.
Can you provide a source for it being group III base stock?

Last edited by dar02081961; 05-02-2017 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:46 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

Originally Posted by dar02081961
Not going to hi-jack the thread but you are leaving a bunch of pertinent info out. I understand, as you weren't trying to get in the weeds.

However the fact is by industry standards Mobil 1 is a fully synthetic oil. Simply because hydrocracking is a synthetic process. And Hydrocracking is but one part of the process of making a synthetic oil. Another part is combining/rebuilding the hydrocracked molecules in a specific manner to achieve the desired characteristics of a superior oil. Crude oil can't get there without synthesis (without man). Also Hydrocracking does much more than just allow the chemist to remove/combat the tendency to break down into paraffin.

Your analogy is akin to us saying plastic isn't synthetic simply because it's made with carbon based oil. In the industry if something doesn't exist in nature naturally and relies on a manmade process to exist in its simplest form ...it is in fact synthetic.

You and others are inferring that because Mobil 1 and most synthetics rely on hydrocracked petroleum (a synthetic process within itself) to formulate their base stocks then build on that base stock to synthesize an oil........that this process is somehow inferior to the other companies approach of synthesizing oil from other raw materials. Neither method has been proven to be superior to the other for motor oil.

We use synthetic oil in our military turbine engines.
It is provided by Exxon/Mobil. It is essentially Mobil 1.

For most any automotive purpose Mobil 1 is just as good as any synthetic you will find.
Are there superior synthetics out there? Yes...but they aren’t that much superior for IC engine use.

By the way I was always told Mobil 1 is made from group IV PAO base stock which by your own definition would be fully synthetic.
Can you provide a source for it being group III base stock?
Nice post, and I agree.
Out of an abundance of caution, I prefer Amsoil (an oil which doesn't use dino base stocks) in my Harleys, because being air cooled, they can generate extreme oil temperatures in some situations. I'm fine with Mobil 1 in my '17 ZO6, and in my 1000 horsepower boat.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 05-02-2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old 05-02-2017, 05:12 PM
bluestreak63
Safety Car

Received 286 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BOBSZ06
It comes from the Factory with that, so GM thinks it is just fine.
That's my point. The OP was cool to post that it was on sale and then comes along someone who says it's not really synthetic oil and you're buying bottled tap water because it's not really spring water, if you catch my drift.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:48 PM
Takoyaki
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gve
It says two rebates per household, so if you have relation close or a work address you could have another rebate sent there.
Thank you and thanks for the original post too. I'm gonna at least buy four 5 Qts.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Hot Rod Todd
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

FYI - I contacted Mobil 1 and they confirmed that Wal-mart can be used in the promotion.

Limit 2 per household, so you can by two 5 qt. jugs of oil and get $12 off each. So no matter where you stand on the topic of Mobil 1 quality, you have to admit that it's cheap at a bit over $1 a quart.

Quick Reply: Mobil 1 on sale