C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

My PDR video from intermediate session at NCM

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 10:19 PM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 689 Likes on 275 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default My PDR video from intermediate session at NCM

So I am trying to get better at the NCM. I am about 15 to 17 seconds away from what the car is capable of (Pro Driver PAINRACE on the forum ran this course in 2:08 on hoosiers with a manual transmission! And he is a PRO)

I am posting this to see what you track junkies can give me in the way of advice. After studying Jims video which is posted in the road course fast times, I think I do all of the following
1. Over slow the car
2. I fail to accelerate thru the corner once the car is set at the turn in point (progressively of course)
3. Can shift better at times

I welcome all comments I know there is a lot to fix here, thanks for your constructive input, I am still learning here...

here's the video and below that are some pics from the day

The best thing about this hobby is the COOL people you meet. Jim is the best... Thanks for your help buddy

Last edited by AVETTE; 05-14-2017 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-14-2017, 11:27 PM
sammyv
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 140 Posts

I like the music but not on the track. Nice job!
Old 05-15-2017, 12:28 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by sammyv
thanks re: music, have you been to the NCM? The track is a blast but very challenging
Old 05-15-2017, 01:15 AM
Scottcolem
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

the day I went, the track was closed. I cant wait to go back. Nice Job!!
Old 05-15-2017, 01:36 AM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Car looks great!

I would ask Jim directly. He's would know. If the information is from someone who's never been there it's generalizations and speculation.

Maybe he can be hired? I don't know if Jim does professional one on one instruction or not? I can promise you though that's the best way to get faster in the shortest amount of time.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:18 AM
AVETTE
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Originally Posted by Racingswh
Car looks great!

I would ask Jim directly. He's would know. If the information is from someone who's never been there it's generalizations and speculation.

Maybe he can be hired? I don't know if Jim does professional one on one instruction or not? I can promise you though that's the best way to get faster in the shortest amount of time.
You are spot on! I have been lucky to work with Jim quite a bit and he has helped me immensely. You are right also that people whom have driven the track often will have greater insights. I just thought I would share the video and get some feedback from the forum track rats lol. Jim is the best
Old 05-15-2017, 11:24 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by sammyv
I'm not judging by any means, but as a comment, I never listen to music. I think my brain is "fully engaged" at the track with no spare cycles to do anything else. Maybe if I was better or more proficient at it, it wouldn't steal cycles, I don't know.

Everyone's brain can work differently though. Some people can do the ABCs in their head and count at the same time, others can do it out loud but not silently, and so on...
Old 05-15-2017, 12:25 PM
Racingswh
Melting Slicks

Received 1,074 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by AVETTE
You are spot on! I have been lucky to work with Jim quite a bit and he has helped me immensely. You are right also that people whom have driven the track often will have greater insights. I just thought I would share the video and get some feedback from the forum track rats lol. Jim is the best
Then from me this is only speculation.

I first would turn off the music if that's playing in your car.

From the PDR I don't know how your car is setup inside and I can't really tell from the pics but you will need harnesses and a decent head and neck restraint system if you don't have them.

In order to go quick you must place your car on the line that supports the most speed. That often times means using all of the track. Starting from the furthest spot away from the apex at the turn in point, getting all the way down to the apex, and then unwinding the wheel as you add power all the way to the edge of the track at trackout.

The problem is with this track there looks to be a number of complex corners. Double apex corners, S curves, throw aways before important corners etc. That's where professional instruction can help you immensely.

The other parts that are intangible is I can not tell from the video if you're in the proper gear and how much grip you have. I also have no idea how good your car control is.

Going fast is a balance. Many times Driver's that have all the pieces in place, capable car, drive the line, good car control just simply need to drive faster. The problem there is these cars are so fast that their brain doesn't believe they can go around corners as quickly as they can.

The solution for that is ride with a Driver like Jim and also do lead follow with a well driven comparable car. That will train your brain quickly as to what your car can do and what it can't. For me as well as many of my students I find that to be the best way to get over the fear of going as fast as these cars are capable of traveling on a race track.

Again did I tell you how much I love your car?! Wheels are awesome. Looks like the trailer setup worked perfectly without any issues.

Enjoy yourself and be safe.

Get notified of new replies

To My PDR video from intermediate session at NCM

Quick Reply: My PDR video from intermediate session at NCM