C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Stone chips on rear quarter panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 10:49 AM
petepd
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Stone chips on rear quarter panel

On day 2 of Z06 ownership while making a left hand turn, a rock(s) were kicked up by the front tire damaging the paint on the right quarter panel. This must not be a new problem. What are other people doing about this issue?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:59 AM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Well known, well documented and well understood issue that plagues us.

Variety of ways to deal with it.

1) ACS front flaps, GM rear, side skirts, Cleartastic on the rear panel.

2) O'Reilly's truck mud guards for front and add in anything you like from 1.

3) Paint protection film like Expel + 1 and/or 2.

I did #1 and have had no issues. Some guys do #2 with the truck guards. They provide superior protection than ACS but you may not like the look.

Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mordeth:
Cleartastic (05-17-2017), tadgemaniandevil (06-27-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 11:07 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,425 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Originally Posted by petepd
This must not be a new problem...
You're right... A combination, or all of the following will help:

- Side shirts, if you don't already have them
- Spash guards, not the GM version
- Xpel, or similar

There are countless threads on the matter for further info.
Old 05-15-2017, 12:02 PM
BUCKNERBUCK2
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Gm guards with modified truck flaps and stage 3 side skirts. They don't bother me... I like my paint!

Old 05-15-2017, 05:30 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Mordeth
Well known, well documented and well understood issue that plagues us.

Variety of ways to deal with it.

1) ACS front flaps, GM rear, side skirts, Cleartastic on the rear panel.

2) O'Reilly's truck mud guards for front and add in anything you like from 1.

3) Paint protection film like Expel + 1 and/or 2.

I did #1 and have had no issues. Some guys do #2 with the truck guards. They provide superior protection than ACS but you may not like the look.

Good luck.
I did them all and still have road rash , a lot of my issue though is where I live , likely one of the dirtiest , dusty cities around . I never heard of Xpel or any of the other brands of clear films . So , car is now getting Xpel installed , hopefully it will offer some added protection that's badly needed . Better late than never I guess
Old 05-15-2017, 06:44 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,763 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Just O'reilly splash guards stop the damage to the rear quarters. But.... as I've now learned the hard way, without any side skirts, I noticed this other day...
All chipped up
1200 miles.

I've had my quarters xpel covered since day 1 and there's no evidence of even a single dust mark showing inpacts. They are perfect.

gm notified waiting for response, I assume new vents at this point.

my splash guards are low but still not low enough to stop the stuff getting under it, tiny buts of gravel sand etc. Faster you go, more of a sandblasting effect. It appears to only effect the front facing parts as there's not a hint of paint damage or xpel getting hit besides the frnt facing parts of the lower brake duct (few nicks on upper parts of duct existed when I picked car up. Had 27 mi on it).

Last edited by 23/C8Z; 05-15-2017 at 06:46 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:12 PM
CliffB-99
Melting Slicks

Received 135 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
Just O'reilly splash guards stop the damage to the rear quarters. But.... as I've now learned the hard way, without any side skirts, I noticed this other day.

I've had my quarters xpel covered since day 1 and there's no evidence of even a single dust mark showing inpacts. They are perfect.

gm notified waiting for response, I assume new vents at this point.

my splash guards are low but still not low enough to stop the stuff getting under it, tiny buts of gravel sand etc. Faster you go, more of a sandblasting effect. It appears to only effect the front facing parts as there's not a hint of paint damage or xpel getting hit besides the frnt facing parts of the lower brake duct (few nicks on upper parts of duct existed when I picked car up. Had 27 mi on it).
I had the lower-vent and side skirts parts also covered by 3M film by my installer.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:33 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,763 Likes on 3,178 Posts

Yeah, had the front facing parts of the ducts been covered with the same xpel on the car I wouldn't have the issue. But now it will be fixed and I will get them covered.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:43 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Default My stone damage

Here's a look at my debacle on 16Z NRB w/ 7700 miles. . I have GM mudflaps installed, clearly not doing a very good job. I really hate how these tires pick up and spit out every stone they pass over. In my area there are plenty of stones. I just wish the break duct inserts were easier to change out.
Attached Images    
Old 05-15-2017, 09:24 PM
tzoid9
Drifting

Received 417 Likes on 283 Posts

Guys, the ONLY thing I can say is that we're all in very good, albeit very pissed off, company. My complaints on this problem are very well documented on this Forum and I've spent several thousands of dollars on all the protective gear that is supposed to help eliminate (or greatly minimize) this C7 Z06 aliment. Each step I've taken has made the problem a little less dramatic, but I have to say it has not been eliminated. Irks the crap out of me that GM/Chevrolet continues to design and build this spectacular vehicle with this MAJOR design flaw....and ignore all the bitching that this problem has created for the many of us who really care about the appearance of their car. I will do my homework the next time I buy a toy and very likely will never buy another Corvette if this design flaw still exists....GM is brainless for not correcting this issue. Raise the price if you have to GM, just fix the problem!
The following users liked this post:
chasboland (05-15-2017)
Old 05-15-2017, 11:37 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboland
Here's a look at my debacle on 16Z NRB w/ 7700 miles. . I have GM mudflaps installed, clearly not doing a very good job. I really hate how these tires pick up and spit out every stone they pass over. In my area there are plenty of stones. I just wish the break duct inserts were easier to change out.
dr colorchip is your friend now
Old 05-15-2017, 11:54 PM
gve
Drifting

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

I strip of black electrical tape applied to the edge and wrapped to the inside does a good job of covering the existing nicks and stopping future ones. It's not really noticeable unless your looking for it, I did mine after 1500 miles and seeing the damage.
chasboland (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:39 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Any sports car will get chips like this if the owner doesn't take care of it by adding protection. Whatever protection is needed for the specific car.

Last edited by djnice; 05-16-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:05 AM
TXshaggy
Drifting

Received 1,093 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by gve
I strip of black electrical tape applied to the edge and wrapped to the inside does a good job of covering the existing nicks and stopping future ones. It's not really noticeable unless your looking for it, I did mine after 1500 miles and seeing the damage.
^^^^This. At delivery my dealer put the electrical tape on and 6 months later and 3600 miles its still on. Can't even tell it's there. Also have full side skirts and gm splashgaurds..no damage to date.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:26 AM
BUCKNERBUCK2
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
Any sports car will get chips like this if the owner doesn't take care of it by adding protection. Whatever protection is needed for the specific car.
exactly. The wide booty Porsche 911's have been blasting quarter panels for a decade. This isn't new people!
Old 05-16-2017, 02:19 PM
Cleartastic
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05, '15-'16-'17

Cleartastic DIY kits are easy to apply. Provide outstanding protection. Inexpensive.
Invisible once applied. No Orange peel appearance. Self healing characteristics.

Lower rocker, Brake Duct & lower door
Our 97-Cp kit protects the ENTIRE duct area including the painted brake duct edge! The protection that comes from the factory leaves too much exposed.
Plus our kit goes from edge to edge so you don't have the unsightly line running down the middle of your panel.
(Chasboland pic's)

This kit addresses those issues.
Check it out. http://store.cleartastic.com/clplrobrdudo.html

Upper Rear Fenders
Fact. Its only a matter of time before this area gets chipped. So we created 96-Cp for this problem.
Protects above the duct area too!!

(Chasboland pic)

Our kit protects that WHOLE area!!

Check it out

http://store.cleartastic.com/clinuprefefl.html

Number 1 "Do It Yourself" Protection Kits Since 1996

*Serving The Corvette Forum Members For 20 Years!
*Invisible Once Applied
*Tough As Nails Protection
*Saves You Time, Money & Of Course Your Paint
*Proudly Made In The USA
CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE! http://www.cleartastic.com

Last edited by Cleartastic; 05-16-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Jedi-Jurist (05-22-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 09:51 PM
97Black
Burning Brakes

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Cleartastic
Cleartastic DIY kits are easy to apply. Provide outstanding protection. Inexpensive.
Invisible once applied. No Orange peel appearance. Self healing characteristics.

Lower rocker, Brake Duct & lower door
Our 97-Cp kit protects the ENTIRE duct area including the painted brake duct edge! The protection that comes from the factory leaves too much exposed.
Plus our kit goes from edge to edge so you don't have the unsightly line running down the middle of your panel.
(Chasboland pic's)

This kit addresses those issues.
Check it out. http://store.cleartastic.com/clplrobrdudo.html

Upper Rear Fenders
Fact. Its only a matter of time before this area gets chipped. So we created 96-Cp for this problem.
Protects above the duct area too!!

(Chasboland pic)

Our kit protects that WHOLE area!!

Check it out

http://store.cleartastic.com/clinuprefefl.html

Can you post some pictures of your product installed on upper rear quarters? Not seeing a line there would convince me to try it.

Get notified of new replies

To Stone chips on rear quarter panel

Old 05-16-2017, 10:59 PM
Nyvetteguy007
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 258 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by 97Black
Can you post some pictures of your product installed on upper rear quarters? Not seeing a line there would convince me to try it.
I have Cleartastic on my Quarter Panels and they are virtually invisible...I will try to take some pics and post tomorrow...
Cleartastic (05-17-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 11:28 PM
angryBits
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

I covered my entire car in Suntek Paint Protection Film
Old 05-17-2017, 02:41 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Yikes , i thought mine were bad enough , i guess thats another problem with Black paint showing chips . I wish GM would have offered " Full Protection Package " as an additional option when selling the cars . I for one would have bought it if the price was reasonable .
chasboland (05-17-2017)

Quick Reply: Stone chips on rear quarter panel