C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Off to the dyno for this twin turbo experiment

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 11:52 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Default Off to the dyno for this twin turbo experiment

We don't seem to have an "other tinkerings" section and the off-topic section is a dark and scary place, so I'll just post this here and take my chances! It's not my Z06, but at least it's a Chevy.

This is the 502 I pulled out of my 69 Camaro when I put the LS3 in it (you may remember the law that said all 1969 Camaros had to be converted to ZZ502s was later changed to be an LS motor).

I decided to see what I could do with eBay and thousand dollars. I went over that by a little, but not too much. I added two GT45 turbos, manifolds, intercooler a pipe kit, two bypass valves, a blowoff valve, and some misc hardware to build what is pictured below.

I have no idea if it'll hold together, whether I'll get a turbine in my forehead or what'll happen, but we dyno it today!

My fuel system is going to be limited to about 1200hp (85# injectors, that's my back of the envelope guess). I really only hope to make 1000 ft-lb, that's the goal.

It's running a BS3 computer on a 3 Bar map and I'm going to dyno it on "5 gallons plus a can of Race Gas Concentrate" which should put me at about 104 octane.

No plans to put it in a car, but a 71 Monte SS would have a lot of room under the hood...
Attached Images  

Last edited by davepl; 05-24-2017 at 11:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SpeedyD (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 01:31 PM
blackbirdws6
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 139 Posts

Looks like you should make some nice power. What are the engine specs? boost goal?
Old 05-24-2017, 05:06 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Sadly, one of the turbos leaked oil hugely into the hot side, smoking out the valley around the dyno shop! So back to eBay for another $200 turbo, as they're not worth fixing. Apparently you do get what you pay for! They do lay over at about a 20-30 degree angle which -could- cause oil leaks, but this wasn't a little leak, it's like it wasn't sealed at all.

The engine is quality, the induction is not. Rough specs:

GM ZZ502 short block, forged parts
Trick Flow 340cc Rect port CNC heads, raised exhaust ports
Hogan Sheet Metal intake
10-16psi boost

Get notified of new replies

To Off to the dyno for this twin turbo experiment

Quick Reply: Off to the dyno for this twin turbo experiment