C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Only getting 3 to 4 track days out of CCB pads!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 11:48 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
I have been through 2 different sets of Ferodos (with my AP racing stuff) and don't like them at all... I did run my ST43s on the street when I had them though.
Just goes to show how subjective pad choice is. I love the DS 1.11 and have a stockpile of them at home.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:51 AM
Mad Dog 24
Drifting

Location: Syracuse-Central Square New York Winer of the all Corvette race WGI 8/23!
Received 365 Likes on 257 Posts

Bill, I was mistaken my printed minimum weight is the same 5952. I don't remember a groove and as I see on your pad a grove worn in them too. My pads are even wear across the whole surface. Do you know the weight as new or did I find a tid bit of information not known by our forums top guy!
Old 07-17-2017, 02:18 PM
Sean Tex
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
The CCBs are the major reason why many experienced/hard core track guys and racers don't order the Z07 package. Not only are the CCB consumables outrageous but the modulation and performance leaves a lot to be desired. It's also why P car racers/owners as well as owners of other makes don't run CCB brakes.

I offer for consideration replacing the CCB brakes with OEM Brembo calipers and Girodisc rotors. The Brembo calipers are very nice pieces and quite capable for track duty even when running slicks. Girodisc rotors are excellent pieces. Run Raybestos ST-43 pads which are a great and inexpensive track pad. FYI, the ST-43 work great on the street. I run them as a street pad as well as a track pad so I don't have to switch.

I pay $920 for Girodisc front rotors including hats. Replacement rings will bring this cost down even further when needed. GM doesn't sell just rings, you have to but the complete assembly.

I pay $589 total for front and rear ST-43 pads.

Not sure what the calipers cost but I imagine MUCH less than the AP pieces.

FWIW, if the CCB brakes were a no cost option on the C7Z I would not check the box. I would go with the iron rotor Brembo setup.

If for some reason I did get a new car with the CCB brakes I'd remove them day 1 and replace with iron rotor. I'd save the CCBs for when I sold the car or sell them on eBay.

Please note I'm only offering a suggestion and opinion. I know some will take great issue with my offering but FWIW, I do have quite a bit of experience with both brake packages and can turn a respectable lap time.

Rick

P.S. LOL at myself. After writing this post I saw this is an "old" thread to which previously posted my thoughts. Hell, at least I'm consistent with my advice...
Thanks Rikhek, I didn't see any reference to the rear rotors, did you change them out for the Girodiscs too? Do the ST-43 pads need burnishing?
Old 07-17-2017, 03:20 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
Bill, I was mistaken my printed minimum weight is the same 5952. I don't remember a groove and as I see on your pad a grove worn in them too. My pads are even wear across the whole surface. Do you know the weight as new or did I find a tid bit of information not known by our forums top guy!
I don't know the new weight but it I assume it would vary with each rotor since the minimum weight varies by some amount. Once I realized the minimum weights were different I realized I should have weighed the rotors as soon as I got the car home from taking delivery at the dealership.

PS: Do you clean the rotors with water and air before weighing them? Mine had so much dust build up in the holes and in between the faces that I suspect it might affect the minimum weight measurement.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-17-2017 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:22 PM
Sean Tex
Advanced

I haven't found any pricing near what you indicated for pads and rotors, do you recall where you got them?
Old 07-17-2017, 05:50 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
PS: Do you clean the rotors with water and air before weighing them? Mine had so much dust build up in the holes and in between the faces that I suspect it might affect the minimum weight measurement.
Turns out: cleaning the rotors is part of the official weighing procedure. And now you know the reason for that.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:13 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean Tex
Thanks Rikhek, I didn't see any reference to the rear rotors, did you change them out for the Girodiscs too? Do the ST-43 pads need burnishing?
I've done nothing with my rears as the OEM rotors are still good. I'll go Girodisc when needed. Matter of fact, mine are showing enough cracks that I'll order a set of rears tomorrow so I'm not caught without.

With the ST-43 I just put them on and then brake moderately hard about 10 times on the way to the track and all is well. As stated above I now leave them on for the street.

I haven't found any pricing near what you indicated for pads and rotors, do you recall where you got them?
Rotors - AWD Motorsports; talk to Shaun and mention Corvette Forum discussion. He won't know me by name.

Pads - LPI Racing or Porterfield Brakes; Last I bought from LPI for $588 shipped. Porterfield great people as well with similar pricing.

Last edited by rikhek; 07-17-2017 at 06:21 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:05 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

I'm curious if anyone has tested the durability of a fresh set of CCBs with the Z017 additional brake ducts. They certainly seemed to help on my iron setup and perhaps they will keep the CCB temps at a level that they won't burn off the rotors so quickly.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:10 AM
Sean Tex
Advanced

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Just goes to show how subjective pad choice is. I love the DS 1.11 and have a stockpile of them at home.
Poor-sha, what AP Racing brake kits do you have (front & back?), where do you purchase your kits, rotors and pads?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:22 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Front:
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...mm-c7-corvette

Rear:
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...450-36530mm-C7

I got the DS 1.11 pads for track and DS2500 for street. Great product and fantastic support from Essex Parts.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:47 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

I'm curious if anyone has tested the durability of a fresh set of CCBs with the Z017 additional brake ducts. They certainly seemed to help on my iron setup and perhaps they will keep the CCB temps at a level that they won't burn off the rotors so quickly.

Sean, I am running the additional ducts on my 2017 Z07.

After 4 track days running in top of Red group, I have lost 2 mm of pad material. I was surprised when the dealer pulled all the wheels off and measured 8mm of pad material. I completed 5th track day and I am at 7mm front pad thickness and 8mm rear.

In comparison, on my 2016 Z06 with steel brakes without ducts the pads didn't last more than a day. I switched to DS1.11 which I liked but cracked OEM steel rotors in one track day.

I cannot make general statement but looks positive. I am a believer that Z06 duct that comes through the front grille does absolutely nothing to cool the brakes. It could explain why GM started supplying control arm mounted ducts on the 2017 Z06's.
The following users liked this post:
Poor-sha (07-18-2017)
Old 07-18-2017, 03:40 PM
Sean Tex
Advanced

Front:
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...mm-c7-corvette

Rear:
https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...450-36530mm-C7

I got the DS 1.11 pads for track and DS2500 for street. Great product and fantastic support from Essex Parts.

Thanks Poor-sha, what life do you get from the DS1.11 pads (25mm) and what life from the rotors. I presume the rear last a good deal longer than the front .... trying to justify the cost of the swap, though having nearly new OEM to put back on when selling has its savings too.

Originally Posted by 5thGear
Sean, I am running the additional ducts on my 2017 Z07.

After 4 track days running in top of Red group, I have lost 2 mm of pad material. I was surprised when the dealer pulled all the wheels off and measured 8mm of pad material. I completed 5th track day and I am at 7mm front pad thickness and 8mm rear.

In comparison, on my 2016 Z06 with steel brakes without ducts the pads didn't last more than a day. I switched to DS1.11 which I liked but cracked OEM steel rotors in one track day.

I cannot make general statement but looks positive. I am a believer that Z06 duct that comes through the front grille does absolutely nothing to cool the brakes. It could explain why GM started supplying control arm mounted ducts on the 2017 Z06's.
Can you just clarify that you were running AP Racing brake kits with Ferodo DS1.11 pads with the 2mm of pad wear in 4 track days, thx.

BTW, I have no intention of switching back to the street so I would leave the ducts on permanently.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-24-2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Merge Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your response look like this.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:46 PM
5thGear
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 124 Posts

Can you just clarify that you were running AP Racing brake kits with Ferodo DS1.11 pads with the 2mm of pad wear in 4 track days, thx.

BTW, I have no intention of switching back to the street so I would leave the ducts on permanently.
negative. I am talking Z07 OEM brakes
Old 07-20-2017, 04:49 PM
Sean Tex
Advanced

To all ....... I have gather cost details on replacement OEM CCB rotors and pads and AP Racing caliper kits and consumable rotors and pads (DS1.11 race spec pads).

I have put together a comparison workbook of the two and will share it once ready. What I need for you experience drivers is what life to expect from OEM and AP Racing gear, that is how many pads changes (front & back) do the rotors last? I'm sure the rear last a good deal longer than the front.

The number of track days per set of pads would be interesting, but they are influenced by the driver and track so hard to quantify.

Greatly appreciate anything you can add, thank you all.

Hi 5thGear,
I am trying to gather from several track-day driver's some brake wear details, if you can help?

I have gather cost details on replacement OEM CCB rotors and pads and AP Racing caliper kits and consumable rotors and pads (DS1.11 race spec pads).

I have put together a comparison workbook of the two and will share it once ready. What I need form you experience drivers is what life to expect from OEM and AP Racing gear, that is how many pad changes (front & back) do the rotors last? I'm sure the rear last a good deal longer than the front.

The number of track days per set of pads would be interesting, but they are influenced by the driver and track so hard to quantify.

Greatly appreciate anything you can add, thank you all.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 07-24-2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 07-24-2017, 02:08 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,805 Likes on 1,145 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Please stop spamming this same message in the thread over and over.
fleming23 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 02:45 PM
LagunaSecaZ06
Pro

Received 182 Likes on 87 Posts

I got a total of 5 track days and 10,000 miles out of my front pads on my 2016-Z06/Z07. The front pads were wasted-1mm of pad left. I thought the rears were good, but the wear sensor just turned on. The outer pads are about 3mm and inner pad 1-2mm. So I ordered rear pads. The first set of Cup 2 tires lasted 8,000 miles and two track days. The second set lasted 3 track days and 2000 miles. The second set of Cup2 tires still have grip on the rear tires, even though they are worn out. The original set (albeit with 8,000 miles on them) had no grip when worn out.

Additional information. All track days in Open passing / Fastest group.

1. Thunderhill East
2. Laguna Seca (8,000 total miles) 2017 brake cooling duct added, but not the blocker rings.
3. Thunderhill East (2nd set of Cup 2 tires)
4. Thunderhill East
5. Laguna Seca (10,000 total miles)

Last edited by LagunaSecaZ06; 07-24-2017 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-24-2017, 02:49 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Sorry, I posted a general question & got no response so I thought I'd try the personal approach, didn't think about the repetitiveness of the posts to individuals ..... again sorry for the "spam" appearance.
You need to know a lot more info than what you are asking for to make a good comparison. First, you need to know what track the brakes were used on. From personal experience I know rotors and pads last longer at VIR than they do at Watkins Glen. This is with the same C6Z and using the same Wilwood brake system. One year I was running the Glen as my home track and the next I was running VIR as home track.

The front rotors lasted 13 track days. 11 at VIR and 2 at Watkins Glen.
The first set of OEM pads lasted 5.5 days and a set of Carbotech XP10s lasted 6 days. I only ran the Carbotechs at VIR. I replaced both the front and rear stock pads while at the Glen. The rear pads had been used for 11.5 days.

Once I finished Watkins Glen I knew I had to replace the rotors and the brand new pads I had installed while at the Glen. The rotors had a deep groove on both sides of each rotor and the pads had a corresponding ridge even though they had plenty of material left they would have ruined a new rotor.

I installed the front AP Racing Endurance kit before I ran at VIR for two days and CMP for two days. I used the DS2500 street pads and they did well. Feel was comparable to the CCB pads and wear wasn't all that bad. Rotor wear was negligible.

Then I went back to VIR using the DS Uno pads. They gripped much harder than the 2500s or the CCBs and may actually be too aggressive.

After that event the rear rotors were near their minimum weight and the rear pads (the ones installed at the Glen) were worn to the point the wear sensors were starting to fray. That is when I installed the Rear AP Racing kit with DS1.11 pads for the track. The rear rotors basically lasted 19 track days and the second set of stock pads lasted about 7.5 days. I believe the rotor condition accelerated the wear of the second set of stock pads.

Then I did 3 more track days at Watkins Glen and 5 more days at VIR. 3 on the North Course and 2 on the Full Course. The DS Uno front pads did well through all of that but after 1000 track miles were worn down to their last 3/32 of pad material and had started flaking apart while the rear DS 1.11 pads wore down to about the same point.

Both front and rear rotors look great. The fronts obviously have more wear but are only just now starting to show hints of heat checking and the rear rotors are just shiny.

Cost for the front kit with a two sets of pads was $5250 with tax compared to ~$3100 if I had just replaced the stock front rotor and pads with more stock parts. Since the AP front rotors are already at 14 track days and still going strong I think I will at least break even when they wear out or crack after another 4 to 6 track days. I am thinking they may make it through the rest of the season.

The AP rear kit at $3900 was basically a break even deal at the outset since it basically cost what stock replacement CCB rotors and pads would cost (~$3800). Rotor replacement will be much cheaper with the APs and they may last as long or longer and I expect them to last well into or through next season.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Only getting 3 to 4 track days out of CCB pads!

Old 07-24-2017, 03:09 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dog 24
...my printed minimum weight is the same 5952...
I don't know the new weight but it I assume it would vary with each rotor since the minimum weight varies by some amount...
I got a scale (well...my wife wanted a small kitchen scale, and I got her a 10kg one to make sure it would weigh my rotors!!), and I weighed the new rotors I have standing by for future use. Here's a post about the weights:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ors-weigh.html

You can see that it appears that the min weight stamped on the rotor hat is about 100 grams less than the weight of a brand new front rotor, and it looks like 75 grams less than a new rear rotor.
Mad Dog 24 (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 03:47 PM
Sean Tex
Advanced

You need to know a lot more info than what you are asking for to make a good comparison. First, you need to know what track the brakes were used on. From personal experience I know rotors and pads last longer at VIR than they do at Watkins Glen. This is with the same C6Z and using the same Wilwood brake system. One year I was running the Glen as my home track and the next I was running VIR as home track.

The front rotors lasted 13 track days. 11 at VIR and 2 at Watkins Glen.
The first set of OEM pads lasted 5.5 days and a set of Carbotech XP10s lasted 6 days. I only ran the Carbotechs at VIR. I replaced both the front and rear stock pads while at the Glen. The rear pads had been used for 11.5 days.

Once I finished Watkins Glen I knew I had to replace the rotors and the brand new pads I had installed while at the Glen. The rotors had a deep groove on both sides of each rotor and the pads had a corresponding ridge even though they had plenty of material left they would have ruined a new rotor.

I installed the front AP Racing Endurance kit before I ran at VIR for two days and CMP for two days. I used the DS2500 street pads and they did well. Feel was comparable to the CCB pads and wear wasn't all that bad. Rotor wear was negligible.

Then I went back to VIR using the DS Uno pads. They gripped much harder than the 2500s or the CCBs and may actually be too aggressive.

After that event the rear rotors were near their minimum weight and the rear pads (the ones installed at the Glen) were worn to the point the wear sensors were starting to fray. That is when I installed the Rear AP Racing kit with DS1.11 pads for the track. The rear rotors basically lasted 19 track days and the second set of stock pads lasted about 7.5 days. I believe the rotor condition accelerated the wear of the second set of stock pads.

Then I did 3 more track days at Watkins Glen and 5 more days at VIR. 3 on the North Course and 2 on the Full Course. The DS Uno front pads did well through all of that but after 1000 track miles were worn down to their last 3/32 of pad material and had started flaking apart while the rear DS 1.11 pads wore down to about the same point.

Both front and rear rotors look great. The fronts obviously have more wear but are only just now starting to show hints of heat checking and the rear rotors are just shiny.

Cost for the front kit with a two sets of pads was $5250 with tax compared to ~$3100 if I had just replaced the stock front rotor and pads with more stock parts. Since the AP front rotors are already at 14 track days and still going strong I think I will at least break even when they wear out or crack after another 4 to 6 track days. I am thinking they may make it through the rest of the season.

The AP rear kit at $3900 was basically a break even deal at the outset since it basically cost what stock replacement CCB rotors and pads would cost (~$3800). Rotor replacement will be much cheaper with the APs and they may last as long or longer and I expect them to last well into or through next season.

Bill
Thanks Bill, very informative.

I did say in my question that respective number of wear of brakes would be hard to quantify given the variables of both individual driver and track.

I have been told that rotors wear the equivalent to 4 sets of pads (same front & rear) and that rear rotors last about 4 times long than the front, is this anything like you experience?
Old 07-24-2017, 04:12 PM
3 Z06ZR1
Team Owner

Received 900 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
Your experience is shared by many of us who run/ran CCBs. I swapped away from the CCBs and now have AP Racing front & rear. I never really liked how the Delco pads felt and there were very few options worth even trying. Endless is about the only pad that will last on track but will eat a burning hole in your wallet.
My ZR1 had the CCB's to me they are way overrated period. But I didn't track the car. But the first hit on the brakes was not as good as the steel.
Sean Tex (07-24-2017)

Quick Reply: Only getting 3 to 4 track days out of CCB pads!