C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM with Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 08:23 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 3,997 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by sunsalem
As far as that goes, WHO wants to drive a Corvette cross country? Gimme a luxury SUV any day of the week.
Originally Posted by Jsilvester81
as much as I liked to say I would drive my comfy c7/z06 M7 across America, I would be fooling myself
my A8 Yukon Denali fits the bill.
You guys are missing out. Sincerely. I drove my Convertible Z from Chicago to Maine last Summer with my daughter, INCLUDING driving 18hrs straight through on the return trip. I'm 6'4" and it was very comfortable and an absolute blast to take across the country

Name:  IMG_6700_zpsgwmspt4l.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  300.1 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by Big Lebowski:
63C663 (06-23-2017), djnice (06-23-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:01 PM
Kouasupra
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 258 Posts

Facebook Post

Last edited by Kouasupra; 06-22-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:44 AM
meadowz06
Race Director

Received 960 Likes on 572 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09 and '13

About damn time!
Old 06-23-2017, 10:58 AM
Edwardz
Burning Brakes

Received 287 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDANZ06
I went to the Ron Fellows School back in May, the instructors are well aware of the problem, we ran the A8's in Manual/Paddle Mode, and of course we were not hot lapping or running the cars really hard. Now I when I rode along with one of the instructors when he was really pushing the car (just 2 laps) the temps got up there.
I went in August and the temperature was 110 and we never had any problems with the car overheating.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:50 AM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by DLC7
Bill.....much respect to you and many thanks for the knowledge that you have imparted/shared.......however, you have an additional rad, and know how to drive, meaning short shift.....i think it might be time to let it go buddy....... (i mean trying to convince ppl otherwise)

AND he has an M7. The higher percentage of limp issues and overheating is with owners of the A8.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:06 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

I'm with ya.
With a luxury SUV, you can have super-comfy LazyBoy-style front seat, room to stretch tired bones, enough cargo space to pack anything & everything you might need, quiet cabin, great visibility, super-duper audio system.
Also, you can pull over and tilt the seat back for a little nap or just crawl in the back.
A trip across the country should be about SIGHTSEEING, not being seen in a Sportscar, or some kind of silly bragging rights or whatever the hell.

OK, so fair enough...you picked the wrong vehicle.
Yes, you are confused as I picked the correct vehicle.

Why have a $80K sports car locked in the garage and then drive a boring sedan/SUV when the exciting sports car will do everything, plus more, than the sedan/SUV will do an a cross country trip.

Now if I have more than two people on the trip, then I also have the correct vehicle, a boring sedan/SUV to drive. But I bet most older people, like me, that go on road trips that have a Corvette in their garage have just one or two people in the car on the trip.

I SIGHTSEE in a terrific vehicle, my C6 Z06.

Just like this couple that I photographed in the Black Hills, a year ago. I bet they were sightseeing also. Just because one is in a sports car, doesn't mean that they are not aware of their surroundings. They saw the old steam powered train that I was on and waved.

Name:  100_3614_zpsnemo8pot.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  255.7 KB

I'm not vain so I don't have to prove that I'm not by leaving my sports car home in the garage while I drive my boring luxury sedan cross country.

I don't own three Corvettes because I'm vain. I own them because I enjoy owning and driving them. I really do feel sorry, though, for those that are vain and they drive a particular car(any car) to impress others, or believe that they need to drive a particular car in order to get any poontang.

If I were vain, why would I drive my boring sedan on errands around town, etc, if I was trying to impress you? Wouldn't it make more sense to ALLWAYS drive one of my Corvettes if I were vain and wanted everyone to see that I have a Corvette(actually three) so I could brag about it. I'm not concerned about what other people think about me based on the car I drive. Hell, here it is summer and I haven't had one of my Corvettes out of the garage in three weeks, and over a month before that.

You talk about tired bones, and needing to stretch your legs and take a nap in the back of your SUV. I'm 75 years old and I don't need any of that crap. Just like others, I stop every couple of hours when traveling between destinations to take a leak and stretch my legs.

Do you get in the back of your SUV and take a nap when you are driving up to the top of Pikes Peak. I sure as the hell don't.

If I'm so sleepy that I need a nap, then I check into a motel, and resume my SIGHTSEEING the next day, in my Corvette.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-23-2017 at 12:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JoesC5:
Dealripper (06-24-2017), djnice (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:22 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

On a cross country trip it isn't about driving a cool vehicle, it's about the trip...the people you meet, the places you see, the experiences you will remember.
The following users liked this post:
NSC5 (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:47 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

On a cross country trip it isn't about driving a cool vehicle, it's about the trip...the people you meet, the places you see, the experiences you will remember.
I really doubt that you have ever taken a sight seeing trip cross country.

I meet more people because they want to talk about my "cool vehicle". You would be surprised about the number of women that talk to our ladies about how they would like to take a trip like we are doing in our "cool cars".

If we were in our boring sedan/SUV, there would never be a conversation between the girls.

I have never had anyone ask if they could have their picture taken with my boring sedan, but plenty have with my Corvette. There was one trip where I stopped in WY at an scenic overlook and there was a Japanese couple(on vacation from Japan) with their 10 year old son in a rented sedan. The lady was a HUGE Corvette fan and talked to me about my car for around 30 minutes; her husband and son could have cared less. They never acknowledged that I was driving a Corvette, but she knew everything about Corvettes and said that they had visited Bowling Green and toured the museum and the factory several days before our meeting. Do you really think that that lady would have struck up a conversation with me about my car if I had been driving my boring sedan? Same with the couple vacationing from Switzerland that I met while driving my Corvette in Kings Canyon N.P. Or the couple from NY city that was in a rented Mercedes two seater that I met in Yosemite N.P.. They have a Corvette, but flew out to California and then rented a "cool car' to do their sightseeing in. They wanted to also talk "Corvette". I would have never met them if I were driving my boring sedan. On and on, and on......

What makes you believe that we don't meet interesting people, visit interesting places and have experiences we will remember, because we are in "cool car"? Driving a boring sedan/SUV does not automatically make you meet interesting people or see interesting places or have experiences you will remember that you would not have, because you are in a "cool car". Actually, just the opposite.

The ONLY trip I didn't take, that I wanted to take in my Z06, was 17 day road trip; first to Seattle, then the 3 day auto ferry to Skagway, ride the WP&Y steam train, then drive back through Canada in my Z06, visiting the Canadian Rockies(and their seven national parks), then Glacier N.P. in MT.

The reason I didn't take the Z06 was I couldn't be assured that it would clear the angled loading/unloading ramps on the ferry that changed with the tide, etc. Because of that little problem, driving my Z06 was out of the question as a vehicle with a high ground clearance is needed.

Last edited by JoesC5; 06-23-2017 at 01:26 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:34 PM
ZenicaPA
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

The side line off topic conversation should be taken somewhere else as it will achieve one thing, to close or dilute this threads topic and purpose. Is there really an argument taking place about something completely personal, individual and lacking a "correct" answer? For those of you trying to take the superior position of being open minded or unencumbered, you too have failed since you couldn't help yourself with being judgemental in your remarks.

What ever each of us would drive on a hypothetical cross country drive is utterly immaterial to the thread and topic at hand. How does it advance this topic to know I'd LOVE to use the Z06 but I can't fit the kids and find the seats uncomfortable after 2 hours. I'd much rather drive my SUV which has for me, many Z06 attributes that make driving it almost as fun.

I for one would like to see the thread updated and maintained as I believe this issue is real, significant and deserving of a correction from GM. Can we please return to the topic?
Old 06-23-2017, 02:45 PM
KevinGS
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

I plan on taking my C7 across country, driving both ways, and can't wait!
Old 06-23-2017, 02:46 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by ZenicaPA
I'd LOVE to use the Z06 but I can't fit the kids and find the seats uncomfortable after 2 hours. I'd much rather drive my SUV which has for me, many Z06 attributes that make driving it almost as fun.
This is valid Z06 discussion - and while I agree that it has less room, I think the seats are great and the ride (in Tour) is something I could drive for days. I'd still likely take my S8 instead on a long journey... or even an Escalade.

The C6Z I had, pre-magride, was a bone-shaker. I took it on one 2 hour highway trip and never did it again. Hated it. But the C7Z (Z06, FE6) is a new and different animal.

Still not really on topic, sorry... but the topic was played out anyway!
Old 06-23-2017, 03:42 PM
Z06PA
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DLC7
Bill.....much respect to you and many thanks for the knowledge that you have imparted/shared.......however, you have an additional rad, and know how to drive, meaning short shift.....i think it might be time to let it go buddy....... (i mean trying to convince ppl otherwise)
The additional radiator is like $800 bucks, is that even worth discussing?

Are you implying that someone who doesn't know how to drive is able to run this car hard enough on a track to make it overheat? You need to be able to drive to push this car to the limit my friend.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:52 PM
Hirohawa
Le Mans Master

Received 248 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06PA
The additional radiator is like $800 bucks, is that even worth discussing?

Are you implying that someone who doesn't know how to drive is able to run this car hard enough on a track to make it overheat? You need to be able to drive to push this car to the limit my friend.
$800 Installed? Is it a GM product? Does installing it void the warranty?

Heres my question - Why didn't GM just install these for free as to avoid this obvious litigous situation when owners were continuing to report problems?

Honestly this should have been addressed before the 2016 Z06s where released.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:54 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Hirohawa
$800 Installed? Is it a GM product? Does installing it void the warranty?

Heres my question - Why didn't GM just install these for free as to avoid this obvious litigous situation when owners were continuing to report problems?

Honestly this should have been addressed before the 2016 Z06s where released.
They do, it's now standard on the M7 cars, unless I'm sorely confused.

Given they haven't even back-fed the aux cooler to 2015-2016 M7s, or even offered a discount on that part... or free labor... or anything, I wouldn't be holding my breath for any fix of the 15/16.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:56 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoesC5
The ONLY trip I didn't take, that I wanted to take in my Z06, was 17 day road trip; first to Seattle, then the 3 day auto ferry to Skagway, ride the WP&Y steam train, then drive back through Canada in my Z06, visiting the Canadian Rockies(and their seven national parks), then Glacier N.P. in MT.
Got my WP&Y hat right here! That's a cool trip, I hope you were able to take it with a different vehicle (I wasn't clear whether you didn't go at all or took a different car). I did it on a cruise, but very much worth doing.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:06 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

AND he has an M7. The higher percentage of limp issues and overheating is with owners of the A8.
And the class action suit doesn't seek to tell anybody there is a difference. Just bad press for owners.

Bill
The following users liked this post:
RobWilson (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 04:32 PM
txapezl1
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Checkmate1
Why is this thread still alive? All we do here is whine and b#$% about how flawed GM's engineering is with respect to the C7 track cooling. GM/Corvette is silent on the issue and will continue to be as such.

Stuff like this is why its so hard to stand behind this brand long term. Sadly, alternatives for this kind of performance are few and far between under $100k and GM knows it.
Agreed. If you are budgeted up to $100k. The Z06 is where it's at. There is NO other car, well, until the Zl1 1LE came out, that can do what it does at that price point so.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM with Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit

Old 06-23-2017, 05:09 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

The side line off topic conversation should be taken somewhere else as it will achieve one thing, to close or dilute this threads topic and purpose. Is there really an argument taking place about something completely personal, individual and lacking a "correct" answer? For those of you trying to take the superior position of being open minded or unencumbered, you too have failed since you couldn't help yourself with being judgemental in your remarks.

What ever each of us would drive on a hypothetical cross country drive is utterly immaterial to the thread and topic at hand. How does it advance this topic to know I'd LOVE to use the Z06 but I can't fit the kids and find the seats uncomfortable after 2 hours. I'd much rather drive my SUV which has for me, many Z06 attributes that make driving it almost as fun.

I for one would like to see the thread updated and maintained as I believe this issue is real, significant and deserving of a correction from GM. Can we please return to the topic?
OK, sorry about that.
I'll let Joe continue in his delusion and return to the thread's topic.
Old 06-23-2017, 05:55 PM
johnglenntwo
Le Mans Master

Received 164 Likes on 148 Posts
Default GT350R and competition!

Originally Posted by txapezl1
Agreed. If you are budgeted up to $100k. The Z06 is where it's at. There is NO other car, well, until the Zl1 1LE came out, that can do what it does at that price point so.
The market forces could have driven a better C7 ZO6 too, but, they didn't. They didn't have to!

Last edited by johnglenntwo; 06-23-2017 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:01 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,837 Likes on 660 Posts

Don't track mine so I don't really give a s**t. I love the car. Period.

Quick Reply: Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM with Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit