C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM with Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Dieseler911
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Every time I've taken my car to the dealership they would look at me like I'm crazy when I was complaining that my car was overheating..!!!! For over 2 years ...!!!!! And finally someone at the dealership pulled me to the side and told me about this class action lawsuit..!!!!!
Old 06-23-2017, 07:32 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,117 Likes on 1,736 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Mine is a vert and I cant track it so I am only interested in 0-60 and 1/4 miles times! I love mine even though I only have 188 miles so far!
Old 06-23-2017, 08:06 PM
Dieseler911
Instructor

Originally Posted by BMadden
Don't track mine so I don't really give a s**t. I love the car. Period.
I don't track my car either, when I picked it up from NCM, I dove to KY to NC to CA, followed all rules changing of the oil Mobile1, etc. but I got to a dealership in Dallas, with my second complaint of overheating,they said it was still breaking in, it's been over 2years and still overheating in Vegas and California, especially when the temp is 90 degrees, and worse in traffic, they already had to replace the SuperCharger, and I had transmission issues, and noises from the engine when the AC is on, the dealership and GM made me feel like I was crazy, they refused to reimburse me to find a power loss, if I did a aftermarket dyno or fix the problem if the Aftermarket place that would do the dyno, and found a problem, my car is not putting out the right power and it's hesitant so I had nobody to turn to, when I knew my 2016 Z06 wasn't acting right in regular driving conditions, they admitted it was a bad SuperCharger only when I was getting towed, so they replaced the SuperCharger and still I'm having problems overheating I'm very disappointed and mad. I saved many years to get my dream car and its been a nightmare..!!
Old 06-23-2017, 08:09 PM
rtruman
Safety Car

Received 441 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Dieseler911
I don't track my car either, when I picked it up from NCM, I dove to KY to NC to CA, followed all rules changing of the oil Mobile1, etc. but I got to a dealership in Dallas, with my second complaint of overheating,they said it was still breaking in, it's been over 2years and still overheating in Vegas and California, especially when the temp is 90 degrees, and worse in traffic, they already had to replace the SuperCharger, and I had transmission issues, and noises from the engine when the AC is on, the dealership and GM made me feel like I was crazy, they refused to reimburse me to find a power loss, if I did a aftermarket dyno or fix the problem if the Aftermarket place that would do the dyno, and found a problem, my car is not putting out the right power and it's hesitant so I had nobody to turn to, when I knew my 2016 Z06 wasn't acting right in regular driving conditions, they admitted it was a bad SuperCharger only when I was getting towed, so they replaced the SuperCharger and still I'm having problems overheating I'm very disappointed and mad. I saved many years to get my dream car and its been a nightmare..!!
Its stories like this that discourages people Buying there dream Corvette.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:48 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

Why does one person have a horror story while another person doesn't? Seems like there is something going on with that car in particular.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:01 PM
JackTripper
Turn 12!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 498 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
They do, it's now standard on the M7 cars, unless I'm sorely confused.

Given they haven't even back-fed the aux cooler to 2015-2016 M7s, or even offered a discount on that part... or free labor... or anything, I wouldn't be holding my breath for any fix of the 15/16.
True. It's cheaper to pay the legal fees than outfit thousands of cars.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:33 AM
Dieseler911
Instructor

Originally Posted by rtruman
It's story's like this that people told in 2015 and I didn't listen because I was buying a 2016 ..."A Hard Head Makes A Soft ***"
Old 06-24-2017, 04:49 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

It's story's like this that people told in 2015 and I didn't listen because I was buying a 2016 ..."A Hard Head Makes A Soft ***"
In that case GM knew it and should of fixed it then clearly they had a problem.

Old 06-24-2017, 09:38 AM
GlennSullivan
Burning Brakes

Received 106 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BladeZ06
I have to ask. How many people have tracked a 15 - 17 Z06? Of those how many in high heat?

I just came back from Spring mountain after doing the Corvette Owners class. (BTW People are crazy NOT to do this. It was amazing.)

For the course I drove a 2017 Z06 Z07 A8 car. Air temp was in the mid 90s.

1) I was the fastest driver in the class. So I was not slowly going around the track.

2) I drove the whole time in manual mode. The instructors were very clear that in "auto" the car will overheat.

3) I did not run at 6500 rpm the whole time. I was more in the 4-6K range.

4) The car was faster than I could or should drive at my skill level. The track record for a Z06 is 1:16. I rode with an instructor that ran a 1:17. (multiple laps) My best time was 1:23. I ran a bunch of 1:24 laps. Sessions were about 20 minutes. We ran multiple times over the two days. 2nd day it was 4 times.

5) I used the PDR on all sessions. My highest oil temp was 260ish and water was cooler than oil. The car never overheated even with the Pro driving. A guy with a Z51 auto did overheat on the same day. I loaded the Cosworth tool and looked at my data. Very good tool.

My personal experience on a track with a Z06.
Possibly the 2017, with its improvements, is less prone to overheating. It would be interesting to see the same driver running a 2015 & 2017 A8 on the same day and compare the results.

Last edited by GlennSullivan; 06-24-2017 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:46 AM
RFBHD
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by BladeZ06
I have to ask. How many people have tracked a 15 - 17 Z06? Of those how many in high heat?

I just came back from Spring mountain after doing the Corvette Owners class. (BTW People are crazy NOT to do this. It was amazing.)

For the course I drove a 2017 Z06 Z07 A8 car. Air temp was in the mid 90s.

1) I was the fastest driver in the class. So I was not slowly going around the track.

2) I drove the whole time in manual mode. The instructors were very clear that in "auto" the car will overheat.

3) I did not run at 6500 rpm the whole time. I was more in the 4-6K range.

4) The car was faster than I could or should drive at my skill level. The track record for a Z06 is 1:16. I rode with an instructor that ran a 1:17. (multiple laps) My best time was 1:23. I ran a bunch of 1:24 laps. Sessions were about 20 minutes. We ran multiple times over the two days. 2nd day it was 4 times.

5) I used the PDR on all sessions. My highest oil temp was 260ish and water was cooler than oil. The car never overheated even with the Pro driving. A guy with a Z51 auto did overheat on the same day. I loaded the Cosworth tool and looked at my data. Very good tool.

My personal experience on a track with a Z06.
Same experience last November... upper 80s I was in the fastest group in a ZO6 A8 ... no cars over heated... but hey its a beginners class... would the car overheat during competitive racing I dont know but my guess is yes...GM says the car is track ready...race ready no way.... my car has never over heated in 100 degree temps ... the one I drove on the track never overheated ... and I dont have any expectations that I bought a car that I could drive to the beach and then go right on a track and win a race... If I get the racing bug ... ill buy a race car... the law suit is a joke..
Old 06-24-2017, 11:09 AM
rtruman
Safety Car

Some body should contact the Racing school Spring Mountain and get there input on what's going on .
Haven't read the complete thread maybe someone did already.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:26 AM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

Until proven otherwise you have too much air in the S/C coolant circuit. Look at the coolant reservoir; if it has anything greater than just a small bubble of air it needs to be purged and filled the correct way. None of these cars overheat on the street unless there is a mechanical issue. Track is different.
Bish
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
BOBSZ06 (06-24-2017), djnice (06-24-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 05:06 PM
btwicked
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JackTripper
True. It's cheaper to pay the legal fees than outfit thousands of cars.
While that maybe true, how many people who are/were GM fans will say that's not how you treat customers and be done with them. I know over the past decade I have spent about $500k on brand new GM products.

This Z06 will be my last GM product! I'll go upstream for performance cars and SUVs. The other domestic brands build nice trucks to replace my diesels.

Thanks for the great customer service GM in addressing the engineering defects that you knew about PRIOR to the car being released on the Z06!! It's been almost 1 year since your head engineer stated a fix is on the way and all we hear is crickets
Old 06-24-2017, 08:33 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by btwicked
While that maybe true, how many people who are/were GM fans will say that's not how you treat customers and be done with them. I know over the past decade I have spent about $500k on brand new GM products.

This Z06 will be my last GM product! I'll go upstream for performance cars and SUVs. The other domestic brands build nice trucks to replace my diesels.

Thanks for the great customer service GM in addressing the engineering defects that you knew about PRIOR to the car being released on the Z06!! It's been almost 1 year since your head engineer stated a fix is on the way and all we hear is crickets
Fortunately for GM, this is such a tiny issue in the scheme of things, I've venture to say less than 5% of the worlds Corvette owners even know this issue exists. All C7 owners may eventually get notices about the lawsuit once and if it gets traction asking if they want to be a part of it. Until then, it is not common knowledge.

I agree with you 100%.....you'd think GM (or Dodge or Ford) would care enough to make sure the vehicles they put out are as near perfect as they can be. And they do, inside the limitations of the bean counters, board of directors, stockholder quarterly expectations, etc. It is embarrassing that companies with so much engineering talent aren't allowed to fix something so simple (if caught before it goes into production and out of control). In publicly traded companies, bonuses are paid to upper management when certain goals are met. So you can imagine when a C7 is due to hit the market on Aug 2014 and doesn't....somebody isn't getting paid their bonuses and stock options, even if the car has a potential defect or issue. They all understand this, but human nature allows people to make decisions that benefit them personally but can hurt the brand/product in the long run. They run the statistical numbers and play the odds.

In this case GM wins, even if they lose the lawsuit. Nobody is getting burned alive, cars don't have runaway acceleration, etc. Unless the C7 is causing death and destruction and you're watching it on "60 Minutes", this is such a minor issue for GM they'll just ride it out. And the general public isn't going to care or be much help...they aren't going to care if some rich Corvette owners that want to race on the track have an overheating issue. You've got air bags killing innocent people in their economy cars, nobody is going to feel bad if a C7 owner misses the afternoon session of this track day.

I understand your reasoning for shopping outside GM....unfortunately GM isn't going to lose any sleep over it. The people making the decisions aren't the company owner (like many of us who own our own businesses). They look at short term rewards and benefits....and that is the problem with a lot of big business today, not just auto manufacturers.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:30 AM
DLC7
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by rtruman
Well, you know how it is, opinions are like a-holes. Everyones got one.

A reasonable person would think you might be a little more concerned for the guy who saves for his dream car and has had major issues, vs a car company that should have done the right thing from the beginning.

GM advertised the Z06 as "track capable". It's not.......it is simply not.

Besides we have Vadge on record, well video, explaining he would fix OH issues for 15 and 16 MY owners. At this time, this long after he said it, its safe to say he lied.

Last edited by DLC7; 06-26-2017 at 02:40 AM.
The following 5 users liked this post by DLC7:
Rodbuster56 (06-26-2017), rtruman (06-26-2017), sam90lx (06-26-2017), thebishman (06-26-2017), ZenicaPA (06-26-2017)
Old 06-26-2017, 02:35 AM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

On one hand, im glad that there is enough communication out there now to keep automakers honest with what they do. On the other hand, I'm sure Tadge will not want to be "on the record" for anything in the future and GM may make less risks or charge more to have increased capabilities in their cars. Maybe a track kit could be sold so that those who are "just fine and you are crazy if yours overheats" dont need to incur extra costs.

:dunno:
Old 06-26-2017, 02:35 PM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MSG C5

Watching as well. Surprised the 2017 is included as I thought those were performing well based on the changes made.

Including the 2017's might have been a procedural/evidentiary "trick" as a way to introduce the fact that GM made some changes to try to improve/solve cooling issues. Typically, evidence of "steps to cure" errors or to cure alleged "breaches of duty" are not admissible in tort cases (IIRC).

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM with Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit

Old 06-26-2017, 08:55 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by txapezl1
I'm in. I'll trade mine for a Zl1-1LE please. I'll take that as a settlement.
It will be interesting how the track ready ZL1-1LE will perform. I don't hear of the same problems on the Camaro 2017 ZL1 side, but that maybe because they are relatively new to the market.
Old 06-27-2017, 12:27 PM
sam90lx
Le Mans Master

Received 172 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning
It will be interesting how the track ready ZL1-1LE will perform. I don't hear of the same problems on the Camaro 2017 ZL1 side, but that maybe because they are relatively new to the market.
I would say it will do pretty good as it just crushed it at the Ring!
Old 06-27-2017, 12:36 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning
Car and driver had their guy running "lap after lap" with no issues. Has something like 8 radiators, not to mention a less aerodynamic front end so it naturally gets more air over the hot parts...

Quick Reply: Corvette Z06 Owners Hit GM with Proposed Class-Action Lawsuit