C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Swapped the cover to the 2017 cover and found oil...is this normal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 09:13 PM
sigelitest
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Swapped the cover to the 2017 cover and found oil...is this normal?

I was changing my 2016 to the 2017 cover and found oil in where the cooling blocks are. Is this normal ?
Old 06-25-2017, 09:20 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

normal but not ideal, it's an unfortunate side effect of your PCV system, it vents the crankcase into the intake so it doesn't vent to atmosphere and is cleaner. best case is it smells better and you don't show up to work smelling weird. otherwise, i don't like it. :-)
Old 06-25-2017, 10:28 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

Received 545 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by sigelitest
I was changing my 2016 to the 2017 cover and found oil in where the cooling blocks are. Is this normal ?
normal=sucks.i pull my lid before I put it away for the winter and clean out the oil.if you put a catch can on to stop this voids warranty.read my post.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...oday-pics.html
Old 06-25-2017, 11:07 PM
sigelitest
Instructor

Catch can voids warranty?
Old 06-25-2017, 11:09 PM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

yup.tune also.2 big no,nos.i would run a catch can because I do not like oil in my supercharger,but gm says no.so I pull the cover and clean it every 2500 miles.no big deal.

Last edited by lordofwar; 06-25-2017 at 11:12 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:17 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

it has in at least one case.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:53 PM
sigelitest
Instructor

So stupid question,,, where does the air intake to the valves. Does it travel through the coolers to the valves. If so should I expect the coolers get clogged with the oil residue ?
Old 06-26-2017, 12:48 AM
lordofwar
Melting Slicks

So stupid question,,, where does the air intake to the valves. Does it travel through the coolers to the valves. If so should I expect the coolers get clogged with the oil residue ?
I do not think coolers will get clogged with oil residue,but someone smarter than me can answer this question.oil in supercharger is a concern for cokeing building up on valve stems.do a search here for better answers.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:34 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

The oil gets forced through the fins to the valves. The oil you see is only a fraction of what went through the combustion.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:37 PM
sigelitest
Instructor

So I see how to fix the problem. I have to pull the super charger off and put a catch can in. From what I see the hose runs next to the belt? That seems bad. Also will the computer know that the pressure is vented ? This seems crazy. Is there a benefit to the oil mist? Also any cleaners I can spray through the fins to clean the oil out ?
seems like putting oil in the exchangers would be inefficient for heat transfer.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:41 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
The oil you see is only a fraction of what went through the combustion.
Indeed. This is why I get confused about people who think it's a good ideal to pull the cover and clean in there every so often... it hides the evidence, but doesn't change or solve the problem.

And while I don't like it, I don't personally really care if there's oil in my intake or even in my intercooler. But I do care if my motor is ingesting a lot of oil because it's (a) probably going to accumulate on the backs of the valves eventually, and (b) leads to detonation.

Oil has an octane of about -50. It's bad mojo especially on a supercharged engine, so if I could get an efficient catch can, I'd still be tempted, at least once I was out of warranty.

The most important thing I don't know is what percentage of oil a quality catch can will actually scrub. 99%? 10%? Makes a big difference.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:36 PM
sigelitest
Instructor

since they decided to vent the engine straight into the air chamber for the supercharger .the only way to divert it is to take the intake apart and divert the flow outside of the engine. Is there any benefit in oiling the intake. I see it being a gunked up mess in the intake over time. I would think they would have thought of this in the design process.
I would buy the catch can kit and do the mod but my worry is it needs the oil mist ?
Old 06-26-2017, 04:16 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I think GM has stated the catch can is not needed, but they don't go into detail about the oil mist being necessary, etc. There are tons of debates about this.

It is a bummer they didn't run the crankcase line outside of the supercharge and then back into the intake like they did on the LSA. That makes it easier to install a catch can.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:15 PM
sigelitest
Instructor

Anyone know how the Calloway is set up?
Old 06-26-2017, 07:41 PM
CONMAX
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 59 Posts

the better designed catch cans will cure that for you. your engine will last much longer as well. are DI engines have this issue. BMW has a walnut shell blasting procedure which removes the build up in the combustion chamber. if it is bad enough, they will cover it under warranty. reports on BMW show reduced leakdown and restored performance after this blasting is performed.

better to just prevent it with a catch can. your LT4 will love it.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:47 PM
2fastnow
Burning Brakes

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

This 'coking around the

Last edited by 2fastnow; 06-26-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:11 AM
shizon'00
Melting Slicks

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Same thing. I pulled the cover and ended up cleaning up the intake ports and as much of the bricks as I could when I installed the Mighty Mouse catch can. That has done the job and it's clean as a whistle now even with track duty.

If you're going to track the car, don't get the MMS extreme catch can. It's not needed until the big power range and it will dump oil out of the driver's side valve cover port on a hard braking right hand turn into the catch can filling it quickly. I would have a full can after a session. MMS worked with me to solve. We swapped back to the regular catch can hose setup and it's been perfect ever since.
The following users liked this post:
David@MMS (06-27-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Swapped the cover to the 2017 cover and found oil...is this normal?

Old 06-27-2017, 09:50 AM
sTz
Le Mans Master

Received 2,425 Likes on 1,597 Posts

While not ideal, completely normal and experienced by most SC'ed vehicles. I had a couple GT500s that seemed to be a little worse. Catch cans certainly help, but some say that they are not necessary and that the residue is harmless- evidently this is GM's position.
Old 06-27-2017, 09:53 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

I have yet to read a post on this Forum of anyone having valve issues............

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...on-valves.html

Tadge answered:
Good technical question vetteman96. The short answer is: No, we have not seen any issue with deposit buildup on the back side of the intake valves due to not having a port injection system.

You correctly point out that the continuous flow of clean air and gas over the intake valve tends to keep it very clean. That has been a characteristic of small block V8's for decades. Of course, appreciation of that characteristic is limited to those who disassemble their engines. Most customers are unaware.

Given that all SIDI engines give up that benefit in favor of other important attributes, we did extensive testing to make sure there were no customer-observable penalties. We intently looked for unusual deposit formation during the entire Gen 5 Small Block development phase (4 years) as well as the 200,000 mile in-vehicle long term testing. We have not seen anything unusual and zero performance degradation. Granted, deposit formation on SIDI engine intake valves is greater than what is seen with PFI engines, but the Gen 5 engines are typical for SIDI engines, and in fact better than other SIDI engines we have benchmarked. So the bottom line is that we believe the carbon build up is only an internal cosmetic issue, not anything that will affect customers over the life of their cars.

Z06 Valve w/no catch can 10k miles:
Attached Images  

Last edited by BOBSZ06; 06-27-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-27-2017, 01:16 PM
David@MMS
Supporting Vendor

Received 221 Likes on 153 Posts

welcome to DI / LT4 ownership!

here is my basic install video.

other notes

-gm can void your warranty for ANY mod they decide to blame a failure on, not catch cans and tunes only.
-of course gm will say this amount of oil consumption is fine. anything is perfectly fine as long as it can make it through warranty period.
-you will not find anyone that thinks oil on intercooler bricks or being burned is a good thing in general
#mmsolutions
Six time NMCA True Street Champions

Home of the first Twin Turbo C7Z 7.81 @ 176
3470# Stock bottom end and heads Corvette Stock Bottom End Record Holder

Quick Reply: Swapped the cover to the 2017 cover and found oil...is this normal?