C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Official Z06 Problem List

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 01:03 AM
Izzy1000
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Not So Fast
GOOD GRIEF That's just terrible, I have been wanting a Z06 but after reading in this thread
What would an unsuspecting used car buyer do if this were to happen with no warranty, Damn

I picked up my zo7 yesterday. It took 20 to fix the Clutch nightmare. Runs strong at least for now.

Prior to GM replacing my engine 3 cylinders allowed a significant amount of oil to get into the combustion chamber. When I lost some power I always it was the ECM pulling timing. it was the ECM that pulled the timing. Now it appears that it was the oil getting into the combustion chamber. What more can go wrong with this Beast? My attorney still believes I will get all of my money back including the sales tax
Old 06-18-2018, 01:12 AM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

I might need to talk to your attorney. Warranty is bogus if they can't figure out how to fix the car in a timely manner.
The following users liked this post:
forcewindu (07-01-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Baron37075
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts
Default A/C Coldness at Idle

2019 Z06 Convertible A8, 3,030 Miles, Purchase Date 4/11/2018 - When idling, the A/C’s air temperature significantly increases even though the output volume remains the same. This started happening about a week ago. Driving the car (e.g. 30+ mph) results in an immediate drop in A/C air temperature.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:15 AM
Hershey71
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

2015 ZO6 @ 8,000 miles the left rear mag shock started leaking the Dealership is squawking about replacing it under warranty. Even though it clearly has oil residue binding the road grime.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:37 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,447 Likes on 2,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Hershey71
2015 ZO6 @ 8,000 miles the left rear mag shock started leaking the Dealership is squawking about replacing it under warranty. Even though it clearly has oil residue binding the road grime.

I had a front mag shock replaced under warranty when it showed signs of leakage. My car was only about a year old, though. Don't know if the added time on yours is making them blink or not. But, I had no trouble on a warranty replacement of mine.

Old 06-27-2018, 07:59 AM
westsideburns
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by musclesbmf
2015 M7 - worst A/C ever and the cooled seats are a joke to say the least.
2017 didn't change. Z06/M7/Z07 - A/C can hardly keep up with the Texas summer heat, and the seats are just a little better than nothing at all. I have the competition seats. Which by the way, the damn memory settings work about half the time. I figured out that if I move the seat just a little after I get in, then close the door and start they tend to work more often than not. If I don't move the seat before start up the memory never works and nothing moves - not the steering wheel, mirrors or the seat.
The following 2 users liked this post by westsideburns:
08redharley (07-12-2018), froggy1140 (05-28-2021)
Old 06-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Thomasmoto
Race Director

Received 1,505 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Default seats

Originally Posted by westsideburns
2017 didn't change. Z06/M7/Z07 - A/C can hardly keep up with the Texas summer heat, and the seats are just a little better than nothing at all. I have the competition seats. Which by the way, the damn memory settings work about half the time. I figured out that if I move the seat just a little after I get in, then close the door and start they tend to work more often than not. If I don't move the seat before start up the memory never works and nothing moves - not the steering wheel, mirrors or the seat.
Be sure to use your parking brake, it helps the seat memory function to be more reliable.
The following 2 users liked this post by Thomasmoto:
forcewindu (07-01-2018), westsideburns (06-30-2018)
Old 06-30-2018, 04:09 AM
Izzy1000
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Izzy1000
I bought a 2016 Z06/07. I had decided to buy another brand. When I tried the ZO6 that was it. The car pulled like a bear. But I started to have some serious issues.

1. 5000 miles--Engine blew up. Dealer rebuilt it with help from GM

2. As soon as the temp went above 70 the ECM would pull timing. 80% of the time I never got the 650hp that I paid for.

3. 12,000 miles-Electronics crashed. Screen, navigator, radio all went dead. It took a month to get the replacement parts.

4. The car has always used a lot of oil. I am in the middle of consumption test run by the dealer. The car now averages 500-600 miles per qt. Dealer said they will either rebuild the engine or replace it. The oil is getting into the combustion chamber and it burns up. I assume this also hurts performance.

5. Since the hp was not anywhere near the 650 I decided to go to the 100 octane calibration. It works great with 100 Octane gas at $10 a gal. I tried Torco and Bustane. They both work but it is not as strong as with the 100 Octane.

6. The car is an M7. A couple of months ago I started having transmission issues. A number of times it either poped out of first or I didn't get into 1st properly. So I watched it carefully and it still popped out of 1st a couple of times. When I first got the car the transmission was fantastic. Now I have trouble getting the car into 1st or 2nd easily.

I have had enough.
I finally picked up my 2016 ZO7 from the local dealer. one day after the engine was replaced the clutch failed. Took it back to the dealer. a couple days later theService guy cold called and said we have to replace most of the clutch assembly including the throw out bearing, new flywheel and springs. After 2 1/2 yrs the car is finally running the way it was supposed to run. The acceleration is fierce. The engine was not making the power due to 3 cylinders with gashes that allowed oil to fill the combustion chamber. About 7 months ago I went to the 100 Octane calibration. With 100 Octane gas it is beyond fierce. I called GM to ask if the 100 Calibration Octane increased HP. They checked it out and said yes. The car should make about 750 HP. To make 750 HP it must mean that the time was advanced. I don't know if it advanced the timing or not but it is beyond fierce. It's hard to keep the car straight in 1st gear. The tires spin out with medium acceleration on the gas pedal. Sometimes it will spin out in 2nd.
Anyway, my attorney has already filed the Lemon Law paperwork. He believes GM will return all of my money including the tax in about 50 days. I will believe when I see it.
The ZR1 is getting good press but I may be a little gun shy.
forcewindu (07-01-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 01:06 PM
ArmySF_Z06
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Update:

Hello, apologies for the delayed response as I have been deployed...almost done...another two weeks! Anyway, wanted to give a quick update (timelines are general as I have forgotten the exact dates).

2016, Z06, A8
23 AUG 17: Car felt sluggish, dropped at dealership for repair.
25 AUG 17: Dealer says bad supercharger, ordered
15 SEP 17: Supercharger installed, not repaired. Seems there was a bearing failure which resulted in a spun cylinder. Parts order.
15 OCT 17: No update from dealer. Customer complains to GM.
15 NOV 17: Buy-back authorized.
1 DEC 17: 2019, Z06, A8 ordered.
2 DEC 17- 5 MAR 18: Waiting, waiting, waiting...Contacted by the repurchase department...paperwork generated, shipped to dealer
12 MAR 18: I go to do the paperwork, after securing a new loan...sign over my old car (that was eventually repaired, but I had to garage it til the new one arrived)
12 MAR 18: I am all excited waiting for brand new baby! Car is in detail...10 minutes, 20 minutes...then...Sir, there is a problem! I was floored!!!
12 MAR 18: Apparently, there was a computer problem and the screens didn't work. Repairs needed. Keep in mind I haven't even sat in the car...
19 MAR 18: Car not repaired, and I boarded a plane for an overseas trip.
1 APR 18: Car in for repair
1 MAY 18: Car in for repair
15 MAY 18: Contacted GM Customer service...again!
1 JUN 18: Buy back authorized
1 JUL 18: Second Z arrives, paperwork done. New car in garage.
7 JUL 18: Waiting til I can go home and enjoy it....I hope it works!

There are a lot of details I have left out. I will say one thing, the dealership was awesome throughout the whole experience. And I will keep it at that.

Old 07-07-2018, 03:18 PM
Carvin
Melting Slicks

Received 526 Likes on 354 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

Originally Posted by ArmySF_Z06
Hello, apologies for the delayed response as I have been deployed...almost done...another two weeks! Anyway, wanted to give a quick update (timelines are general as I have forgotten the exact dates).

2016, Z06, A8
15 SEP 17: Supercharger installed, not repaired. Seems there was a bearing failure which resulted in a spun cylinder. Parts order.
2 DEC 17- 5 MAR 18: Waiting, waiting, waiting...Contacted by the repurchase department...paperwork generated, shipped to dealer
12 MAR 18: I go to do the paperwork, after securing a new loan...sign over my old car (that was eventually repaired, but I had to garage it til the new one arrived)
12 MAR 18: I am all excited waiting for brand new baby! Car is in detail...10 minutes, 20 minutes...then...Sir, there is a problem! I was floored!!!
12 MAR 18: Apparently, there was a computer problem and the screens didn't work. Repairs needed. Keep in mind I haven't even sat in the car...

There are a lot of details I have left out. I will say one thing, the dealership was awesome throughout the whole experience. And I will keep it at that.
Wow! Thanks for your service.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:50 PM
Izzy1000
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ArmySF_Z06

2016, Z06, A8

I just want to make sure I understand the sequence of events. When did you take delivery of the 1st ZO6? Then you write that on Aug 23 the car felt sluggish so you dropped it off at the Dealer. On Sept 15, 2017 a new Supercharger was installed but it did not fix the problem. In late 2017 the car was still not working properly so it went back to the dealer a few times for the same problem. Your timeline says you contacted GM. Did you tell them you've had enough and you wanted all of your money back or did they just offer to buy it back? Were you required to buy a new ZO6 as part of the buyback arrangement?
If you use the date that you dropped off the car because it was sluggish & nearly a yr passed before the buyback was approved? Wow!!

About a week ago My attorney filed under the Lemon Law statute. Even after 2 engine replacements, a score of electronic issues, missing HP, Clutch & flywheel replacements etc etc GM refused to do anything. This is the 1st Corvette I have ever owned. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I should have stayed with a Porsche gt3
Old 07-08-2018, 09:17 AM
ArmySF_Z06
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izzy1000
I just want to make sure I understand the sequence of events. When did you take delivery of the 1st ZO6? Purchased the 2016 Z06 in October of 2016. Then you write that on Aug 23 the car felt sluggish so you dropped it off at the Dealer. On Sept 15, 2017 a new Supercharger was installed but it did not fix the problem. In late 2017 the car was still not working properly so it went back to the dealer a few times for the same problem. Your timeline says you contacted GM. Did you tell them you've had enough and you wanted all of your money back or did they just offer to buy it back? I requested a replacement vehicle on both occasions. Were you required to buy a new ZO6 as part of the buyback arrangement? No, the first time, I requested a replacement. They obliged. The second time, I requested a replacement, but they actually gave me a straight repurchase. On JUL 1st, I basically sold back my replacement Z06 and purchased a new one (but I had them build an identically spec'd car, which was delivered to the dealer and they held it for me).
If you use the date that you dropped off the car because it was sluggish & nearly a yr passed before the buyback was approved? Wow!! The second complaint to GM was on the replacement vehicle. Effective, Gm viewed it as two separate transactions.

About a week ago My attorney filed under the Lemon Law statute. Even after 2 engine replacements, a score of electronic issues, missing HP, Clutch & flywheel replacements etc etc GM refused to do anything. This is the 1st Corvette I have ever owned. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I should have stayed with a Porsche gt3
I can absolutely relate to your frustration. I have never owned a Porsche, but someday hope to get a 911 turbo S. I hope your situation is resolved in a timely manner. As for corvettes, I had a C5 and C6 and had zero problems with them. C6 had aftermarket Edelbrock S/C on it too. It was solid. Ref my 3 x C7 Z06's...if this one doesn't work, I am done with them
Old 07-08-2018, 12:10 PM
westsideburns
Intermediate

Default Cold start tapping

2017, Z06/Z07, M7. 2705 miles. This week I noticed a pronounced tapping when the car is started for the first time after sitting overnight. The tapping seems to be at the rear of the motor and lasts about 15 seconds then gradually goes away. The noise is not heard again on any other start ups after that first initial start. Took it to the dealer on Thursday. They called yesterday to acknowledge they hear it too. It's sitting waiting on the "expert" motor guy to come in and diagnose this week. I don't think it's the fuel pump. Even after the tapping is gone, I still hear another rattle under the supercharger. That sound is more of a rattle. The noise in question is a a defined tap. Car has not been tracked, only street driven with some spirited acceleration after the break in procedure was followed exactly. Oil has been changed twice, once at 500 and again at about 1600 miles when I added the Chevy performance air breather kit. More to come.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQyJ...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by westsideburns; 07-15-2018 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:39 AM
westsideburns
Intermediate

2017, Z06/Z07, M7. 2705 miles. This week I noticed a pronounced tapping when the car is started for the first time after sitting overnight. The tapping seems to be at the rear of the motor and lasts about 15 seconds then gradually goes away. The noise is not heard again on any other start ups after that first initial start. Took it to the dealer on Thursday. They called yesterday to acknowledge they hear it too. It's sitting waiting on the "expert" motor guy to come in and diagnose this week. I don't think it's the fuel pump. Even after the tapping is gone, I still hear another rattle under the supercharger. That sound is more of a rattle. The noise in question is a a defined tap. Car has not been tracked, only street driven with some spirited acceleration after the break in procedure was followed exactly. Oil has been changed twice, once at 500 and again at about 1600 miles when I added the Chevy performance air breather kit. More to come.....
Dealer called this morning and initially said that the motor tech said this was normal. Then 30 minutes later called back and said the tech would not certify it and sign off on it until he could do a complete inspection. That may be done tomorrow.....
7/10/18 - Dealer called today and said the motor expert "heard" the noise but would not be concerned with it. They "made a note of it" and will send the car home. "If there is an issue in the future" we will look at it again. Basically saying in so many words to drive it until it really breaks and hope at that point it's still under warranty. I don't know whether to be worried or relieved. I really wasn't looking forward to the dealer tearing the motor down, but then again, I'm not at all pleased with having the thing tick loudly for 20 seconds every cold start up. I'm really disappointed that I even have to worry about this from now on, as long as I own this car. It was supposed to be my dream car, once in a lifetime opportunity.

Last edited by westsideburns; 07-10-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:31 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

its been very hot and humid in St. Louis the last few weeks. Ac in my 2017 m7 is great and so are cooled 2lz seats. It’s as good or better then my c6z which was great. I will say I did test drive a couple of 2016 c7z’s and the ac didn’t seem to put out very well in these cars. So I was a bit worried when I bought the car in winter weather.
The only problem i had was leaking windshield washer solvent tank. Turned out to be the pump and connector of the pump to the tank. Fixed with a 45 minute visit to elco Chevrolet. the other issue which I would say was a defect was purging and filling the intercooler tank. Once that was done the car makes back to back pulls with no loss in power.

Otherwise the car is pretty good. the performance isnt what I expected from 650 hp 650 ft lbs of torque. That’s a bit disappointing. But It is Better now with 1500 miles then it was.

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 07-10-2018 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 10:38 AM
08redharley
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by homepukes
2016 Convertible Z: Sometimes the memory seats work sometimes they don't. I'll go out and run errands and shut the car off, open the door and the easy exit works fine for a time or two. Go to the next stop and the easy exit feature doesn't work. Same when I go to start it up: sometimes the seat and steering wheel will move into correct position and sometimes they won't. Haven't had time to take it to the dealer.

Exactly the same. I have set, reset, tried different keys. Only had for 3 weeks so I will play with it some more before going back to my dealer. They only have one “Corvette Expert “there so I have to check which day to take it in.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:55 AM
08redharley
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cgarnerspeed252
Haha I love this comment, I currently own a 2017 Grandsport for my Youtube channel Cgarnerspeed252 but considering ordering a 2019 zo6 and your comment made me smile and probably will go through with ordering it haha
How true. I am a 68 year old guy that traded a 911S for a 17 Z06 w/Z07 and M7 last month. Small town dealer had it on the floor for 2 years. What a beast. It is certainly an attention getter...and not always good. I can not put into words the feeling of running thru the gears and hearing that engine scream. Will do no mods or track days. Just enjoy while I can.
fargon (11-03-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Official Z06 Problem List

Old 07-16-2018, 09:53 PM
b333s333
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Startup Engine Tapping Noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQyJ...ature=youtu.be
I think their reply was Bull.... Find out what your State’s “Lemon Law” requires for them to correct the problem or Buy the Car Back. If that doesn’t meet your expectations, ask about them providing a no-deductible, “Extended Warranty”.

Last edited by b333s333; 07-16-2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Change font color
Old 07-16-2018, 10:35 PM
b333s333
6th Gear

Default Hood Color

Originally Posted by fiberblast
fuel line leak- resolved by dealer

hood color several shades different than the rest of the car-unresolved

2 bent wheels- just found out today
It wouldn’t surprise me if your car has any of the “Clear Tint Tri-Coat” paint options (extra cost premium paint). Sounds like your hood was repainted at some point. They can never match the re-paint to the original factory paint job. I suffered some hail damage on a 2009 Crystal Red Tintcoat Coupe. It suffered minor hail damage to the hood, targa Top and hatch lid. Damaged areas were repainted 3 times, but they could never match the original paint on adjacent body panels. (Fenders & Front Fascia). Also, a friend of mine rececently had his 2017, Blade Silver, Grand Sport’s front fascia repainted 2 Times to correct paint chipping where the front fascia meets the fender in front of the headlight. (Common problem on the 2017’s). Still not a reasonable paint match. He gave up. Most body shops, including GM dealerships, will admit they can’t match it..... unless you do a complete repaint on the entire car.

Last edited by b333s333; 07-16-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:05 PM
IAVTYWU
8th Gear

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
I have a friend near JAX, 2015 M7, AC seemed sufficient for your heat. What are you noticing ? I'm not overly impressed with the cooled seats but better than nothing.
I am landing at Jax in Nov.. with 19 zo6 .. need dealer recommendation

Quick Reply: Official Z06 Problem List