C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

How necessary is clear film?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 04:36 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Dave how about we call it a "bro" instead?

lol. I think you hit the nail on the head

you have lots of cars ones that fit that bill

most of us have one toy car which then becomes the be-all-end-all and a chip ruins our weekend LOL
Old 08-13-2017, 04:40 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by 16/C7Z
most of us have one toy car which then becomes the be-all-end-all and a chip ruins our weekend LOL
I remember that (and still have that one be-all-end-all car that I started with as a teen). After a frame-off I kept that one car a trailer queen for 10 years and now use it for limited driving.

When I "demoted" it to street use I picked up 300 miles and, as you can guess, a few stone chips....
Old 08-13-2017, 06:41 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by zracer196
I just took delivery of my new Z06 with the Z07 package. So far I love it. Only put about 50 miles on it so far.

I was fold these cars cars will sandblast the lower panels quickly due to the Cup 2 tires picking up every stone, etc.

i also plan on doing a couple of track days a year. Stone chips probably a certainty.

Thoughts? The film and ceramic coating is probably a $3500 ordeal. Not cheap.

Thanks in advance!!
If you live in an area that has as much dirt , dust , dug up roads as we do in Northern Ontario Canada , Yup , your best get it done . I wish I knew about Xpel when I bought my car back in 2015 . I had some of the front and rear done at the start of summer this year , going to get the doors and rear quarters done hopefully within the next week or so .
Old 08-13-2017, 06:56 PM
thebishman
Melting Slicks

Received 735 Likes on 482 Posts

The road course will sandblast your car and windshield from following cars prior to blowing past them, so if you value the appearance and don't want to respray the car prior to selling it, then get both areas protected.

I have Xpel Ultimate from the windshield forward as well as along the rocker panels and in front of and behind the rear wheels. Clearplex on the windshield although I'm going to try windshieldarmor.com the next time.

Bish
Old 08-13-2017, 10:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by zracer196
I just took delivery of my new Z06 with the Z07 package. So far I love it. Only put about 50 miles on it so far.

I was fold these cars cars will sandblast the lower panels quickly due to the Cup 2 tires picking up every stone, etc.

i also plan on doing a couple of track days a year. Stone chips probably a certainty.

Thoughts? The film and ceramic coating is probably a $3500 ordeal. Not cheap.

Thanks in advance!!
Ever since 1968 when GM changed the car's design so the lower body panels were exposed to debris flying off the tires you have either had to not drive the car, put on some protection or do a periodic repaint. So we have gone through C3, C4, C5, C6 and now C7 with the same problem. It doesn't matter how sticky the tires are.

The newer clear coat cars show it more since the clear coat is so hard the small sand particles coming out of the asphalt or just from what is lying on the road will slowly sand blast the sides. At first you won't notice the chips because they are so small but after a while there are so many of them the paint gets dull and certain waxes/polishes make them look worse.

People that say they don't have the problem don't drive the car enough or aren't looking at the correct area of the car. Look behind front wheel well, on rocker, lower door from the front part of the crease across the door diagonally up the door to about 5 inches below the door switch hole, rear quarters up to the point half way around the rear wheel well.

Front of car isn't a big deal unless you track it and run into rubber thrown off cars in front of you. On the streets very little gets thrown up by other cars and what does get thrown up will usually go through any film. I have the front fascia and the front of the fenders and hood done, mirrors, rockers and side skirts, rear quarters and lower door (should have done complete door).

Bill

Quick Reply: How necessary is clear film?