C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

TracTive Shocks from DSC Sport - Pulled the Trigger

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 09:23 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Default TracTive Shocks from DSC Sport - Pulled the Trigger

The DSC Sport controller was such a game changer I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set of their TracTive shocks. Poor-Sha upgraded/traded-in to their top tier shock so I bought his from Mike/DSC. Installed last night. Review to follow.

PRETTY

Last edited by rikhek; 08-26-2017 at 09:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
w00tw00t (08-26-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 10:48 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Like jewelry aren't they? Make sure when you install them that the connectors are firmly seated. I had one not connected properly when I installed the RTx shocks. Also don't forget to install the correct tune since the TracTive shocks work backwards from the stock shocks as far as current and response.

Finally, the rear shocks should come with a nut for the bottom bolt. The stock shocks have a nut integrated in to the bracket but the Tractive do not. Usually the nut is zip-tied to the hole when you get the Tractive shocks but I don't see it in your pic.

Enjoy them, I put my car anywhere on track I wanted to with those shocks and the controller.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:20 PM
atterbud
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

More than a little surprised and disappointed to see this given the timing of my request several months ago.

I'll say no more on a public forum.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:48 PM
EMINENT 1
Drifting

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
Like jewelry aren't they? Make sure when you install them that the connectors are firmly seated. I had one not connected properly when I installed the RTx shocks. Also don't forget to install the correct tune since the TracTive shocks work backwards from the stock shocks as far as current and response.

Finally, the rear shocks should come with a nut for the bottom bolt. The stock shocks have a nut integrated in to the bracket but the Tractive do not. Usually the nut is zip-tied to the hole when you get the Tractive shocks but I don't see it in your pic.

Enjoy them, I put my car anywhere on track I wanted to with those shocks and the controller.
These better than factory mag shocks? Defeats mag ride controls though, right?
Old 08-26-2017, 01:06 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EMINENT 1
These better than factory mag shocks? Defeats mag ride controls though, right?
Still dynamic and use the DSC suspension controller to dynamically adjust but the underlying technology is different. The Tractive shocks use a valve that dynamically adjusts rather than the fluid that changes with current like the MR shocks have. The issue with the MR shocks is that as the fluid heats up under heavy track use the damping changes. These are a proper race shock.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:27 PM
spearfish25
Melting Slicks

Received 727 Likes on 479 Posts

Lucky man...I was waiting to hear from Poor-sha to buy those from him.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:34 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Poor-sha

Sean,

The "hardest" part of the install was disconnecting the connectors without damaging as I didn't know how they released form themselves and their mount. After the first the rest were easy except they are in difficult places to access due to limited room and visibility. All except the left front.

I also ran into a problem as they didn't send me a nut for the rear shocks. I hit the OEM nut with my impact and it popped right off. I thought it was spot welded on but looks like it's just some high grade adhesive.

I installed Mike's TracTive file with no issues. Headed out to drive it in a little while.

Rick
Old 08-27-2017, 05:52 PM
vette_fly
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Would love to get your thoughts and quick review. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a set for myself. Would be particularly interested in learning how much they improve street performance and comfort over just the DSC controller.

Originally Posted by rikhek
Sean,

The "hardest" part of the install was disconnecting the connectors without damaging as I didn't know how they released form themselves and their mount. After the first the rest were easy except they are in difficult places to access due to limited room and visibility. All except the left front.

I also ran into a problem as they didn't send me a nut for the rear shocks. I hit the OEM nut with my impact and it popped right off. I thought it was spot welded on but looks like it's just some high grade adhesive.

I installed Mike's TracTive file with no issues. Headed out to drive it in a little while.

Rick
Old 08-28-2017, 09:14 AM
fleming23
Melting Slicks

Received 594 Likes on 408 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C3 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by vette_fly
Would love to get your thoughts and quick review. I'm waiting to pull the trigger on a set for myself. Would be particularly interested in learning how much they improve street performance and comfort over just the DSC controller.
I don't think buying the RT shocks for "street performance and comfort" would be a wise investment. I have the RT shocks on my car, and it does ride nice on the street, I'm sure Mike or Tom or anyone else from DSC would say the dampening on the street is measurably better but I can say, you are not likely to notice much of a difference. Or rather, you can play with the DSC controller and get 99% of what you want with the mag. shocks.

I track my car and that is where the benefit really comes in but again, it is not a day an night difference. What you are gaining is consistency. As mentioned, the magnetic fluid heats up under prolonged use resulting in a less effective shock, the DSC shocks do not have this inherent issue.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:27 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Sean,

Rick
Mine didn't have the nuts either and I ended up robbing some from a bracket on a Ford Excursion. Don't tell anybody though.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:17 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
Mine didn't have the nuts...
Ha-Ha, you said Mike didn't have the nuts...

Rick

P.S. Childish I know but I couldn't resist. Also, a quick one second hit on the OEM shocks with an impact breaks the nut loose.

Last edited by rikhek; 08-28-2017 at 10:17 AM.
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (08-28-2017)
Old 08-28-2017, 02:28 PM
Z06NJ
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by atterbud
More than a little surprised and disappointed to see this given the timing of my request several months ago.

I'll say no more on a public forum.

???
Old 08-31-2017, 09:26 AM
0DSC Sport
Former Vendor

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
I don't think buying the RT shocks for "street performance and comfort" would be a wise investment. I have the RT shocks on my car, and it does ride nice on the street, I'm sure Mike or Tom or anyone else from DSC would say the dampening on the street is measurably better but I can say, you are not likely to notice much of a difference. Or rather, you can play with the DSC controller and get 99% of what you want with the mag. shocks.

I track my car and that is where the benefit really comes in but again, it is not a day an night difference. What you are gaining is consistency. As mentioned, the magnetic fluid heats up under prolonged use resulting in a less effective shock, the DSC shocks do not have this inherent issue.
Well, the most noticeable and discerning difference is probably the consistency, but it truly does go a lot further.

One of the other major limitations of the mag shocks that we don't often discuss is their limitation on shape of the damping curve, particularly on rebound. The mag shocks, due to relying on the viscosity of the oil, are limited to a symmetrical damping curve.

With the Tractive DDA, we can approach the "ideal" damping curve with incredible accuracy. In Figure 1, you can see an "ideal" damping curve. In figure 2, you can see the mag shocks overlayed on top of that for comparison - way off. In Figure 3, see the Tractive shocks overlayed on top of the ideal curve - extremely close.

Another downside of the OEM dampers is they are prone to magnetic hysteresis, which you can see in Figure 4.

Figure 5 demonstrates the effects of temperature on the magnetic ride shocks.

Figure 1

Figure 2

Figure 3

Figure 4

Figure 5

~Jordan
The following 2 users liked this post by DSC Sport:
Poor-sha (08-31-2017), rikhek (08-31-2017)
Old 08-31-2017, 09:33 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I can say one thing for sure. The tractive shocks and controller, along with alignment to your specs, transformed my car. It handles better, rides better, and hooks up better. As a percentage of the cost of the car it was a bargain. It took my car to a whole different level. I never expected the improvement in ride in combination with the improved handling. It's nice to feel the stability when I'm hard on the brakes going into a corner and I'm not worried about dragging the splitter on the track because it's diving.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:43 AM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the data Mike - that is crazy to see quantified like that. The MR shocks lose nearly half their stiffness going from 0 to 80C!
Old 08-01-2019, 04:27 PM
John G Thomas
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DSC Tractive shocks

DSC TRACTIVE SHOCKS FOR SALE

I am selling these virtually new DSC Tractive shocks and controller I purchased these and had them installed before my last Chin day in May of this year... as others have mentioned on this thread… The performance is transformative for the car… If anyone would like to contact me to have a discussion about the performance I would be glad to share my experience. The reason I am selling these shocks is that I have Gone to the Darkside… I’ve purchased a Porsche GT3RS. Since the likelihood of the next owner of my C7 would not be tracking the car… I had the shocks taken off to sell out right… These shocks have 4-30 minute run sessions on them total! The controller has the latest software which is the programming for the ZR1 C7
Paid $6785 in May asking $5200 please contact me with questions or interest jthomas740@gmail.com

Get notified of new replies

To TracTive Shocks from DSC Sport - Pulled the Trigger

Quick Reply: TracTive Shocks from DSC Sport - Pulled the Trigger