C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Question for Xpel Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:36 AM
bbdmac
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Question for Xpel Owners

So I had to have my front grill replaced and a small chip repaired in the front bumper and splitter due to some asswipe driving into the front of my Z while I was inside a store. Yes, I parked way out in the boonies but someone still managed to hit my car and then leave without trading papers. So I had the car repaired at the Chevy dealership and they contracted with Automotive Elegance to replace the Xpel on the front bumper and on the splitter. Automotive Elegance is the same shop that installed my Xpel at MacMulkin before I brought the car home.

I picked up the car last night and found small scrapes in the Xpel on both side view mirrors. I know these weren't there when I dropped it off because I washed it before leaving it with them and then again as soon as I got it home. They either happened in the three weeks the car was at the dealership in the parking lot or inside their garage while the work was being performed. I also noticed that the new piece of Xpel that was installed on the bumper/nose doesn't wrap over the top of the bumper and you can see the line from where they came close to the edge but not enough so that you can't see it.

So what would you folks do if these things happened to your Z while at the Chevy dealership? I've sent them an email letting them know but I didn't ask for anything yet. I'm waiting to see what they say. One of the side view mirrors had a piece of Xpel peeled back about a quarter inch which I cut off, but there's a small rough edge left. The other side is a smaller peeled back piece. Not sure how far I want to take this since the dealership did a great job of arguing with my insurance company to get the Xpel work covered under my policy.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-31-2017, 10:14 AM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

That just sucks. I watch everything as much as possible. When I had the Expel put on I did spot checks in the shop and through the glass from the lobby. Leaving the car at the dealership is just the worst unless it is one that has a good Vette reputation. I had to leave my GMC 2500HD at a dealership for 3 weeks for fuel injectors, and naturally while it was there somebody hit the tailgate from backing into something, then the dealership denied it, and after calling corporate, they offered to split the deductible with me.....bastards.

Hopefully they will respond positively, if not you may have to file a complaint with corporate. Did you try speaking directly to the Service Manager?

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 08-31-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:28 PM
bbdmac
Instructor

Not yet. Just sent them the email this morning. It's been very quiet and they've been very quick to respond over the last few weeks when they still had my car. I just don't know if this is worth making a big deal over. I'll try the hair dryer on the one piece sticking up a bit and see if I can get it to sit down again. But I doubt they'll do anything about not running the Xpel over the top edge of the bumper. So I may just let it ride and do nothing. I would like a reply though.....
Old 08-31-2017, 12:53 PM
Torch Red Z06
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bbdmac
So I had to have my front grill replaced and a small chip repaired in the front bumper and splitter due to some asswipe driving into the front of my Z while I was inside a store. Yes, I parked way out in the boonies but someone still managed to hit my car and then leave without trading papers. So I had the car repaired at the Chevy dealership and they contracted with Automotive Elegance to replace the Xpel on the front bumper and on the splitter. Automotive Elegance is the same shop that installed my Xpel at MacMulkin before I brought the car home.

I picked up the car last night and found small scrapes in the Xpel on both side view mirrors. I know these weren't there when I dropped it off because I washed it before leaving it with them and then again as soon as I got it home. They either happened in the three weeks the car was at the dealership in the parking lot or inside their garage while the work was being performed. I also noticed that the new piece of Xpel that was installed on the bumper/nose doesn't wrap over the top of the bumper and you can see the line from where they came close to the edge but not enough so that you can't see it.

So what would you folks do if these things happened to your Z while at the Chevy dealership? I've sent them an email letting them know but I didn't ask for anything yet. I'm waiting to see what they say. One of the side view mirrors had a piece of Xpel peeled back about a quarter inch which I cut off, but there's a small rough edge left. The other side is a smaller peeled back piece. Not sure how far I want to take this since the dealership did a great job of arguing with my insurance company to get the Xpel work covered under my policy.

Any thoughts?
Unfortunately these things happen, getting the dealership or shop to admit to it is another thing. I had a bad experience with a Ford dealership that replaced the front struts on my wife's car. When we picked the car up my wife noticed the front painted wheels had scrapes on them. The same wheels that were removed to replace the front struts. When I brought it to the attention of the service writer he looked at them and said it was old damage. The car was mint before bringing it into the dealer. I complained to the service manager and he agreed to have the wheels repainted. The moral to this story is that the dealership will always try to blame the customer. I don't take my car to the dealership unless it is absolutely necessary. Hopefully you will have better results.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:25 PM
Racerdj
Melting Slicks

Received 284 Likes on 180 Posts

As much as you pay for the Xpel, I would want them to fix the bumper wrap. If you don't that area is subject to becoming loose. I would probably re-install the mirror protection pieces.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:25 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

contact the xpel dealer see what they say. i'm certain they will do right by you. if not contact Xpel themselves. I've dealt with Michael Dobbins in the past. great guy. he's down there in the corporate office. let us know.
Old 09-01-2017, 03:23 PM
Automotive Elegance
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good afternoon @bbdmac. My name is Will Jeffries. I'm the Sales Manager here at Automotive Elegance. Please call me directly at 978-413-9086, and I'd be more than happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have. Thank you!

Any thoughts?
Old 09-01-2017, 03:48 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,481 Likes on 1,944 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I'd contact the Xpel dealer and see what he can do. Sure, it happened somewhere, but trying to stop the finger pointing is a bit, well, pointless. It sounds like the dealer may not take responsibility and that they've done right by you with insurance co. If need be, this may be one of the times when you'll have to come out of pocket for some of it splitting the costs with Xpel dealer/installer. jmo
Old 09-01-2017, 04:02 PM
bbdmac
Instructor

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided not to argue with the car dealership over this. I'll probably just contact the Xpel dealership and see what they can do.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:24 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,761 Likes on 3,177 Posts

Thanks for all the replies. I've decided not to argue with the car dealership over this. I'll probably just contact the Xpel dealership and see what they can do.
if the installer does anything other than replace it under warranty... contact the company directly. great group of people.

Get notified of new replies

To Question for Xpel Owners

Quick Reply: Question for Xpel Owners