C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Which Tune for Bolt-On's

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2017, 04:03 AM
geterdone
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Which Tune for Bolt-On's

Recently got a 2015 A8 Z07 and so far have added just a BMS Filter. In the next year or two I plan on adding the following, X-Pipe(No Kitties), Ram-Air(TRIK or other), Granatelli Wires, PTB, Header’s, Upper 2.31 Pulley, Lower 5%-9% Pulley, Port Supercharger, 2017 Supercharger Lid, and Ethanol Injection. Cooling Mod's will be added along the way, including a 160 or 170 Degree Thermostat, Heat Exchanger, Reservoir and Etc..

The Dilemma I have is I’m about 3 hours away from a Tuner that I trust to more less touch My Car (except tuning, I do everything myself). I’ve been reading all about Tune's and I am still confused on which Tune I should go with? My last car was a 335i with a JB4/Back-End Flash and I played around with the Tune all the time so I’m not a total Newb’ with Tuning and/or the Terminology used.

After doing a lot of research, I'm leaning towards a Mail Order SCT Tune through DynoSteve at RDP.

Here are My Reasons:
1. Some of My previous Car’s I've had excellent result's with Mail Order SCT Tunes.
2. Price $350 Shipped with Lifetime Tune’s included.
3. Planning simple Bolt-On’s & Yes, I understand a Custom Tune would be highly beneficial no matter what and would be needed if I decided to add Nitrous, Heads/Cam or Etc.
4. I see it this way when I add Header's/X-Pipe Next Year I don't have Drive 3 Hours & Pay Again to modify the ECU for deleting the Kittie's; I just send a new Log, with changes made & wait to receive File; then Upload. All done! Next, when I decide to change Pulley Size; Repeat as Above and SAVE MONEY & TIME again!
5. If I do want to do a Custom Tune I can rent a Local Dynometer & do a Remote Tuning Session.
6. When I do decide to go BIGGER with either Cam/Nitrous and/or Etc. I will already have the SCTx4 Hardware and will just have to pay for a Custom Tune through a SCT dealer.
7. Diablo Tunes I'm not a Fan of or I would use DiabloLew.

One last SCT question I like having options and is there anybody else through the Forums that does Custom SCT Mail Order Tunes?

This is My Confusion and Questions??

Based on My research most seem to prefer HPTuner's both Tuner's and Owner's. But, Myself and other C7 Z local Owners are confused when it comes to a HPTuners Tune and have the following questions.

1. When purchasing; Which Package/Suite do I order? What are the Pro's and Con's of each Package/Suite? Which device (Gauge, Scanner) do I go with? Once again Pro/Con’s of each?
2. What is the least amount needing to be purchased (cables, device, Etc.) for HPTuners?
3. Does the HPTuners Suite include any Can Tune’s loaded?
4. Can I adjust any parameters Myself for Example, REV Limiter, TCU, Clear DTC Codes, Disable DOD, Tire Size and/or Etc.?
5. What the heck are Credit's, I would assume it is for each VIN? Also, do I need to purchase?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but from what I have read and researched for a “bolt-on” car the price of a HPTuner Tune can really start to add up. Also, it seems like the user adjust-ability is limited if you just plan to purchase the Basic Suite?

If I am missing something please fill me in, mostly it is the HP Tuners setup or what is needed that confuses me the most. I am sure there are other out there that have similar questions and if you do please fill free to chime in.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:01 PM
geterdone
Racer

Anything? Is anybody else at least looking to try out SCT. Looks like I may be the Guinea Pig.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:34 PM
cdh027
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 75 Posts

It's funny, when I owned my 2013 GT500, there were companies that offered power packages with blower pulley, intake, exhaust and tuner with tune included. I don't see anything like that with the vettes?
Old 09-02-2017, 04:11 PM
geterdone
Racer

Yeah, kinda got to research yourself and hope for the best.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:52 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

We don't really look at a tune like the Mustang crowd does. Mustang guys look at a tune like another bolt on, a CAI or a catback.

We look at a tune as a true recalibration of the computer(s) to bring together the hardware changes you have made. There is no "best tune" just tuners who either know what they are doing or those who don't.

To answer your questions:

1. When purchasing; Which Package/Suite do I order? What are the Pro's and Con's of each Package/Suite? Which device (Gauge, Scanner) do I go with? Once again Pro/Con’s of each?

There are only two choices for HPT, Pro and Standard. Pro allows you to wire in analog gauges to monitor through the Scanner. Most only use the Pro cable to log data from a wideband O2 sensor. If you get an AEM 30-0333 then you can get the Standard cable and plug it into the OBDII port.

2. What is the least amount needing to be purchased (cables, device, Etc.) for HPTuners?

See above. You use your laptop to use HPT. HPT is just a cable.

3. Does the HPTuners Suite include any Can Tune’s loaded?

No. HPT is a pro level tuning program, not a handheld tune loader. Get an NGauge is you want something that can just log and you can send your tune file to a tuner.

4. Can I adjust any parameters Myself for Example, REV Limiter, TCU, Clear DTC Codes, Disable DOD, Tire Size and/or Etc.?

Yes, just don't get yourself in trouble. You can blow your motor if you change the wrong thing, although that would be an extreme circumstance.

5. What the heck are Credit's, I would assume it is for each VIN? Also, do I need to purchase?

Again, HPT is a pro level system. Credits are used to license vehicles for editing. Credits are just a means for paying for the license. Some applications take more credits than others to access.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:21 PM
JHEBERT
Drifting

Received 311 Likes on 220 Posts

I have flashed mine a couple dozen times at this point and I want to add that for every 10 tuners you find for these cars, MAYBE 1 will actually know enough to do you some good. My advice? Take the drive

John
Old 09-03-2017, 09:17 AM
geterdone
Racer

Originally Posted by JHEBERT
I have flashed mine a couple dozen times at this point and I want to add that for every 10 tuners you find for these cars, MAYBE 1 will actually know enough to do you some good. My advice? Take the drive

John
At the street racing scene last night I had probably 3 or 4 guys that recommended a friend or somebody that does custom tunes. The little bit of knowledge I do have luckily gives me the ability to identify who knows their SH(# and who is talking like he knows what He's doing.
Old 09-04-2017, 01:18 PM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Higgs, I have the AEM 30-0333 but unfortunately the Scanning/logging through the MPVI doesn't show AFR unless through the computer. Do you know if the 3.7 HPT beta is capable now?
Old 09-04-2017, 02:59 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

It's been working fine for me for almost a year now.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:56 PM
HNK
Burning Brakes

How did u setup that channel for it? So you get to see that channel when u download the log to the computer?? Might need your help
Old 09-04-2017, 11:23 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

plug it in before connecting the scanner, go to edit, repoll parameters

you can pick it out of the channel list. there is a how to on HPT forum.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:36 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

I have done that already, I get the readings if I am logging through the laptop, live logging. But if I didn't have the laptop and just wanted to log through mpvi only, then that channel doesn't show up.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:19 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by HNK
I have done that already, I get the readings if I am logging through the laptop, live logging. But if I didn't have the laptop and just wanted to log through mpvi only, then that channel doesn't show up.
I've actually never used the cable for logging, although I do think about it often.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:01 AM
Melting Slicks

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by HNK
Maybe this video will help:

Old 09-05-2017, 11:46 AM
HNK
Burning Brakes

Thx buddy, but I already know all that, been using it for years. It's just I am unable to get the channel for that AEM OBDII wb to show when I do stand alone log. It seems HPT is not capable at this time.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Tune for Bolt-On's

Quick Reply: Which Tune for Bolt-On's