C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

MPSS Tire issue/question

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 09:05 AM
Bigg Slimm
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts
Default MPSS Tire issue/question

Below are 2 pics of my front MPSS tire. The pics are of the same tire. The outside of the tire is the right side of the pic.

The tire has 2 track weekends at mid Ohio with the recommended track alignment.

my question/issue is what could be the cause of the tire chunking in the middle?
1. Bad alignment
2. Tire overheating
3. To much street driving on the track alignment?

With the track alignment I was expecting the inner edge of the tire to wear the most.

Old 09-05-2017, 10:03 AM
rico750sxi
Drifting

Received 183 Likes on 138 Posts

My tires showed similar ( but less) wear after one track day with street alignment. I aired down to about 27psi cold but suspect I was still overinflated. I'm curious what others think.
Attached Images  
Old 09-05-2017, 12:08 PM
PsYkHoTiK
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rico750sxi
My tires showed similar ( but less) wear after one track day with street alignment. I aired down to about 27psi cold but suspect I was still overinflated. I'm curious what others think.
This one doesn't look too bad. The "chunks" are actually clag from the track surface (bits of rubber from the "line" or just off of the line"). What were your track tire pressures? Also, what type of alignment were you running?

OP's tires is showing some weird wear pattern. Wonder if it was over inflation? What tire pressures are you running cold and hot?

I have yet to track the Z06 (but plan to).
Old 09-05-2017, 12:20 PM
Bigg Slimm
Instructor

Originally Posted by PsYkHoTiK
This one doesn't look too bad. The "chunks" are actually clag from the track surface (bits of rubber from the "line" or just off of the line"). What were your track tire pressures? Also, what type of alignment were you running?

OP's tires is showing some weird wear pattern. Wonder if it was over inflation? What tire pressures are you running cold and hot?

I have yet to track the Z06 (but plan to).
my tire pressures cold are 27-28 all around. Hot, they are 32-34.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:52 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I'm not a knowledgeable track rat but I think that's more a symptom of =picking up= rubber than your tires melting or anything like that.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:58 PM
mdz06vetter
Melting Slicks

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I'm not a knowledgeable track rat but I think that's more a symptom of =picking up= rubber than your tires melting or anything like that.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:50 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,999 Likes on 5,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigg Slimm
Below are 2 pics of my front MPSS tire. The pics are of the same tire. The outside of the tire is the right side of the pic.

my question/issue is what could be the cause of the tire chunking in the middle?
1. Bad alignment
2. Tire overheating

With the track alignment I was expecting the inner edge of the tire to wear the most.

What did you have as a track alignment? The Owner's Manual recommended track alignment? Or something else? Owner's Manual and Spring Mountain recommend 26 psi cold pressure for running on track.

It is hard to tell how much chunking (if any) is present with the rubber pickup on the tread. I don't think it is too bad but you may have worn the center of the tire a little more than you should have. How much understeer were you experiencing?

Take the car for a highway drive where you can run at a constant 70 mph for about 10 miles in one direction and see if that will get the rubber hot enough to come off the tread. If you can get it off then measure tread depths across the tire to see where it is worn.

Bill
Old 09-08-2017, 12:10 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 523 Likes on 360 Posts

1. Bad alignment
2. Tire overheating

This looks like a good alignment but over inflated tire plus over steering with too much speed in the corners.
(driving past the optimal slip angle of the tire) which over heats the tire.

You have 4 options in the corners.

1. use less steering input. (drive on the lower or /optimal slip angle of the tire)
2. slower the speed with the same steering input.
3. find another line that also requires less steering input.
4. lower tire pressure and see how it works out.

Here is my tire (MPSS) with not enough camber / over inflated / driving past the optimal slip angle. Worn on the outside of the tire.

Last edited by cagotzmann; 09-08-2017 at 12:14 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 12:21 AM
Connman
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 146 Likes on 79 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I think you'd need to get a torch and putty knife to scrape a good section of the crap off before you could get a good assessment of what's going on with the tire.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:11 AM
NASTYC7
Drifting

Received 433 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
This looks like a good alignment but over inflated tire plus over steering with too much speed in the corners.
(driving past the optimal slip angle of the tire) which over heats the tire.

You have 4 options in the corners.

1. use less steering input. (drive on the lower or /optimal slip angle of the tire)
2. slower the speed with the same steering input.
3. find another line that also requires less steering input.
4. lower tire pressure and see how it works out.

Here is my tire (MPSS) with not enough camber / over inflated / driving past the optimal slip angle. Worn on the outside of the tire.

I agree with over steer. Too hot in corners.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:02 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,999 Likes on 5,367 Posts

Since it is the front tire slipping it isn't over steer it is under steer.

Bill
Old 09-08-2017, 07:32 AM
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 89 Posts

Listen to Bill......
I don't think putting a torch on your tires is a good idea.... sorry
Heat gun set on low would be the most I'd try..... but even that is a last resort idea....
Go drive and see what peels off....
Old 09-08-2017, 08:07 AM
Bigg Slimm
Instructor

The pic in my original post was after driving 65 miles home from the track on the freeway at 70mph.....if anyone is curious or if it makes a difference, the track was mid Ohio and the tire is the driver side front.

i will try lowering the cold pressure to 26psi.

the track alignment is the owner manual recommended alignment. My cold pressure may have been to high as I was at 27 to 28psi

​​​​​​​however, I didn't experience any understeer.

Last edited by Bigg Slimm; 09-08-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:36 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Since it is the front tire slipping it isn't over steer it is under steer.

Bill
I always find it funny when we discuss over / under steer

If you over steer / over steering a corner (meaning adding more steering wheel input) than required the car "under steers"

Its based on perspective.

From the driver perspective you are adding to much steering input / over steering the wheel

From the car perspective the car under steers.
Old 09-08-2017, 05:50 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

The pic in my original post was after driving 65 miles home from the track on the freeway at 70mph.....if anyone is curious or if it makes a difference, the track was mid Ohio and the tire is the driver side front.

i will try lowering the cold pressure to 26psi.

the track alignment is the owner manual recommended alignment. My cold pressure may have been to high as I was at 27 to 28psi

​​​​​​​however, I didn't experience any understeer.
understeer is always difficult to feel until you hit the extreme end.

Eg. if the perfect slip angle of the tire is 4 degree's.

Lets say you need a 30 degree steering wheel input to make the turn at full speed with perfect 4 degree slip angle.

You have 2 other options to make the same turn but at a slower speed than perfect.

1 drive the corner with only 2 degree slip angle
2 drive the corner at 6 degree slip angle

in both cases the car will drive on the same radius make the corner at the same speed, feel like the same grip to you, but in case 2 the tires overheat and in case 1 the tires have normal and less wear.

The easiest why I find I can determine which side of the slip angle I am driving at is let off the throttle a bit, if the car turns much better you are on case # 2, if nothing happens to the turn radius you are driving with case 1.

or add throttle if the car pushes more then you are already past the perfect slip angle (over heating the tire). If they car maintains the radius then you are under the perfect slip angle of the tire.

Get notified of new replies

To MPSS Tire issue/question

Quick Reply: MPSS Tire issue/question