C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Power Steering Goes Out Doing 70+ on IH-35

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 09:52 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,001 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Some have had this happen on the track..........imagine that!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:11 PM
Bowtie52
Acct suspended by request 11 April 2019

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

My dealership called today and the parts are in appointment set for 20 September. Drop it off the first thing in the morning and it'll either be done that day or the next which I'm cool with.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:22 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,769 Likes on 970 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowtie52
My dealership called today and the parts are in appointment set for 20 September. Drop it off the first thing in the morning and it'll either be done that day or the next which I'm cool with.
Funny, dealer called me 10 minutes ago, rack came in this morning, I can not take it to Tuesday, they said they need 3 hours.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:50 PM
Vert-I-go
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm posting this on my dad's forum account.

I went through the same horror and believe me it was scary. Driving on a mountain road in Southern Ca. approaching a hair pin turn and suddenly no steering. Believe me when I tell you its nothing like the old days when the p.s. belt breaks.
Let me back up a bit. On my way home from the dealership on the day of purchase and with 42 miles on the clock the steering went out. I had the car flat bedded back to the dealer and the following day they said its fixed. Problem was a 16 pin connector was loose. Back to the mountain road. Now with 4242 miles on the clock my car is on a flatbed for a trip off the mountain and 119 miles to the Chevy dealer that sponsors our Corvette club. More than a month goes by and unable to resolve the issues GM agrees to buy the car back. A process I wouldn't wish on anyone. They claim to have fixed the car with a new steering gear box motor as they claim that within that motor is a sensor that enables the electric assist that was the issue. Maybe! They tested it for 2 miles. They also said at 42 miles that "Its fixed"!
The car was branded a lemon, sold at auction in Ca. and was recently up for sale in Wisconsin. Its a 2017 Black Rose 2LT GS coupe. Three of the last 4 digits of the Vin contain 666.
Without going into all the details the best I could do with the help of the better business bureau was to lose almost $14K for my 6 months of ownership. This was my 5th new Corvette.

Best of luck to all who have '17's who have had or may soon have what appears to be more than an isolated incident.
The following users liked this post:
mjdart (09-19-2017)
Old 09-16-2017, 03:42 PM
Bowtie52

I'm hoping this cures and it doesn't happen again but as with anything mechanical it can break.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:31 AM
Bowtie52

Called to confirm my appointment for tomorrow with my power steering replacement and they said I don't have a a scheduled appointment plus I wanted to get a loaner car as well. The service advisor who handled my claim is out till tomorrow but they are checking on a loaner and will call me back. I think I'll go by and see the guy who handles appointment issues and have him deal with it for me......they just called me back they have a loaner plus they said its not a problem bring the Z in they'll replace the parts. I think my service advisor will hear from me tomorrow about him not putting the appointment into their system and he is the one who called and set it up with me.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:38 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Called to confirm my appointment for tomorrow with my power steering replacement and they said I don't have a a scheduled appointment plus I wanted to get a loaner car as well. The service advisor who handled my claim is out till tomorrow but they are checking on a loaner and will call me back. I think I'll go by and see the guy who handles appointment issues and have him deal with it for me......they just called me back they have a loaner plus they said its not a problem bring the Z in they'll replace the parts. I think my service advisor will hear from me tomorrow about him not putting the appointment into their system and he is the one who called and set it up with me.
That is good news. Dropped mine off this morning, also having them lower, align and put my new Forgeline wheels on, told them I don't need a loaner since they offered to drop me at home, live less then 10 minutes away, but they gave me the Chevy cream of the crop...... a Chevy TRAX, it seriously hard to believe it's made by the same people that make the corvette
Old 09-19-2017, 04:40 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Cars back all seems fine, of course it seems fine between failures, think there is more to this, my dealership has done 3 of them in the past month, and they are not a large dealership.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:18 PM
Bowtie52

Originally Posted by hcvone
That is good news. Dropped mine off this morning, also having them lower, align and put my new Forgeline wheels on, told them I don't need a loaner since they offered to drop me at home, live less then 10 minutes away, but they gave me the Chevy cream of the crop...... a Chevy TRAX, it seriously hard to believe it's made by the same people that make the corvette
your dealer will lower you Z for you are?
Old 09-19-2017, 09:37 PM
MRHTRD
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Default A little info......

Lost my power steering on the track about 14 months ago, doing about 80 into a very steep turn. Limped the car back to the pits, let it cool down and seemed to work ok after about an hour. Went out on the track again and same result.

Loaded the car on the trailer and headed home. Wrote my story here on the forum and guys were jumping out of the woodwork with answers to help me out. Much appreciated by the way.

Turns out there was a bulletin from GM and a fix for this issue from GM. I had to buy what turned out to be a left rear brake vent that was to be fitted under the car directing cool air up to the electric steering box. About $250.00 later, I have a fix in place.

Now I know that your situation may be different, but I posted this for some of the other guys that seem to be having a problem similar to mine.

Not trying to steal your thread, just trying to be helpful.....

Thanks
Old 09-19-2017, 09:42 PM
mjdart
Burning Brakes

Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

Lost mine tonight on way to meet up for dinner with a group of Corvette owners for dinner. I had gone less than two miles from home. Message came on " service power steering soon". I drove on expressway to dinner 10 miles. Not easy to steer kinda like drive a dump truck with no power steering. After dinner came out and started it up and steering was fine.

Just made appointment for next week Ed Morse Sawgrass Chevrolet Sunrise Florida

Last edited by mjdart; 09-21-2017 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:39 PM
ddelallata
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by mjdart
Lost mine tonight on way to meet up for dinner with a group of Corvette owners for dinner. I had gone less than two miles from home. Message came on " service power steering soon". I drove on expressway to dinner 10 miles. Not easy to steer kinda like drive a dump truck with no power steering. After dinner came out and started it up and steering was fine.
Is yours a 2017 too?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mjdart
That's what happens, on the highway it's livable to drive, but the small steering wheel makes tight turns a workout
Old 09-20-2017, 07:16 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Yea, but it has these huge front brake ducts that hang low on the Z07, one had some marks on it from rubbing something already, so I was limited to about 1/2" drop, the Z07's do not drop much to begin with because of the spring rate, and unlike the C5's and C6's that you were only hitting plastic, now you need to think about ripping off the carbon fiber stage 3 front spoiler. So while I want it much lower, we will drive it and see how this works.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:29 PM
Bowtie52

So how much lower will it be and will it go over speed bumps.....is it worth having it done.....is it better handling aero etc?
Old 09-21-2017, 09:32 PM
Bowtie52

So service advisor called today said car was ready to pick up tonight but due to logistics I told him tomorrow morning which he said was not a problem. So I'll be there bright and early to get my Z and see how it goes.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:32 PM
DRLC5
Le Mans Master

Received 340 Likes on 226 Posts

There a recall? I had a recall for my 2014 Silverado electric power steering. General Motors is recalling 690,685 Silverado and GMC Sierra pickup trucks to fix a power steering defect that could increase the risk of a crash. The recall affects 2014 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 vehicles produced between Jan. 29, 2013 and Sep. 4,

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Goes Out Doing 70+ on IH-35

Old 09-21-2017, 10:55 PM
Warp Factor
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,085 Posts

So service advisor called today said car was ready to pick up tonight but due to logistics I told him tomorrow morning which he said was not a problem. So I'll be there bright and early to get my Z and see how it goes.
Please ask him what exactly was done, and why.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:41 PM
MikeyTX
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,186 Likes on 1,337 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15- '16-'17-‘18-‘19-'20-'21
NCM Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 1Bridog
A fellow club member had his car lemon lawed for steering failure..2017 GS. Really scary condition if you cant steer the car!
Are you saying the dealership couldn't fix the issue ?
Old 09-22-2017, 06:29 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

On Corvette's my dealership was told by GM replace the rack, Bosch who I believe makes the rack confirmed that the rack replacement will fix the problem, in a phone call to me last week, long story. It sounds like a batch of bad steering racks were shipped out of their location with issues. I gone over 200 miles since my rack was replaced on Tuesday, and no issues, first time I made it past 100 miles without steering failure since the car was new, it's like Christmas. Of course this Corvette has now been in the shop more times than my last 11 Corvette's combined, hopefully the last time.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Goes Out Doing 70+ on IH-35