C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:11 PM
LAYNLOW
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Run Flats

Just curious how many CF members loose the run flats and what tire you change to?
Thanks!

Last edited by LAYNLOW; 09-16-2017 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-16-2017, 12:54 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

The only advantage of non run flats is lower replacement cost.
Bill
Old 09-16-2017, 01:28 PM
Rumba
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

And less noise.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:37 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

And a better ride.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:10 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

less bent wheel issues as well.

run flats are worse in every way except driving without air pressure. the only reason there are run flats on the vette is so GM can save weight and money without a spare.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:37 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

And lighter weight.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:05 PM
K1600GT
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

And 2/32" more tread depth.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Let us look at the so called disadvantages of run flats.

Less noise depends on factors other than the sidewall construction of the tires. My Hoosiers with no tread make just as much road noise as my Cup2s and my MPSS. There are other tires that make less noise.

Bent wheel issues. My experience it isn't any different than non run flat tires. My wife damaged both right side wheels on our Malibu when she drove over a pot hole. The Bu didn't have run flats and it had soft easy riding high profile tires.

As for tire weight given equal sizes, tread pattern and construction (other than sidewall inserts and reinforced beads) how much weight is added when a tire has a single sidewall with an insert and two reinforced beads. Maybe a couple of pounds. Multiply that by 4 and you still get less than the weight of a mini spare. As to how that weight affects handling it isn't very obvious when you compare tires like we get on the Vette with DOT R tires. They are very comparable and some forum responders are turning in fantastic lap times running Cup2 ZP tires.

Again, the only real advantage non run flats have is lower replacement cost. That may not have been true at the end of the C5 era but it was definitely true before the end of the C6 era. Just like the 3K/3Mo oil change interval from the 60s has gone away non run flat tires have lost all but one of their advantages and are missing one huge advantage.

Bill
Old 09-16-2017, 04:54 PM
Kyflyer
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 66 Posts

The advantage or disadvantage is dependent upon the wants, uses, and preferences of the driver. I have never had any runflat on any of my autos that was as good a ride as a non runflat. Some RFs are worse than others, Michelin does make a quality runflat. Also, the use of the automobile is a factor. For a street car I had Michelin Pilot Sport A/s 3+s on my 2014 Stingray and they were wonderful. I drove Route 66 twice with them and the ride and noise improvement were significant. Also, since they were an all season tire they were usable year round and did not require changing tires seasonally. I still have the OEM Michelins on the Z06 and even though I don't track it I will leave them on it as they are a better tire for it in my opinion due to the power of the Z. If there was a non runflat that could meet the requirements for it I would replace them with it, but there is not and most likely will not be one in the future. And, the OEM tires (non cup) on it are by far the best riding runflats I have ever had. Bottom line is the Z is parked in the toy shed when it is below 40F.

Last edited by Kyflyer; 09-16-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Old 09-17-2017, 03:25 PM
Sk8Man_
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Run Flats are for track use only as they are designed or intended to be capable of going 50 miles only at 50 mph only, that's enough to get you back to the pit area for a replacement. You are increasing your risk using them as a daily driven tire on streets and highways as when one gives it up you will most likely be 150 miles from anywhere and when you get towed to anywhere no one will be able to repair it without damaging a wheel or something else and neither will anyone have a replacement tire. Your odds are better with Non-Run Flats and carrying an electric-pump and sealant, plugs and a plug-tool.

With that said, I run the Michelin Run-Flats, but I have had my Z07 for two years and have 7000 miles on it, but I hold my breath where the tires are concerned ever time I leave the house even though I have had no flats yet . . . knock on wood as they say!!!
_

Last edited by Sk8Man_; 09-17-2017 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:57 PM
Kazman1960
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Let us look at the so called disadvantages of run flats.

Less noise depends on factors other than the sidewall construction of the tires. My Hoosiers with no tread make just as much road noise as my Cup2s and my MPSS. There are other tires that make less noise.

Bent wheel issues. My experience it isn't any different than non run flat tires. My wife damaged both right side wheels on our Malibu when she drove over a pot hole. The Bu didn't have run flats and it had soft easy riding high profile tires.

As for tire weight given equal sizes, tread pattern and construction (other than sidewall inserts and reinforced beads) how much weight is added when a tire has a single sidewall with an insert and two reinforced beads. Maybe a couple of pounds. Multiply that by 4 and you still get less than the weight of a mini spare. As to how that weight affects handling it isn't very obvious when you compare tires like we get on the Vette with DOT R tires. They are very comparable and some forum responders are turning in fantastic lap times running Cup2 ZP tires.

Again, the only real advantage non run flats have is lower replacement cost. That may not have been true at the end of the C5 era but it was definitely true before the end of the C6 era. Just like the 3K/3Mo oil change interval from the 60s has gone away non run flat tires have lost all but one of their advantages and are missing one huge advantage.

Bill
I cant find run flats here where I live , always seem to be on ational Backorder
Old 09-18-2017, 12:27 AM
wonka12_98
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16

Many things you said are not true. Run Flats are not just meant for the track! My co-worker has a new Honda van that came STOCK with run flats. There is absolutely no increased risks of using them on a daily basis. Honestly I don't know where you are driving but I'm almost ALWAYS within 50 miles of someplace. BTW many places are now able to repair these tires. Things have changed in the last few years.

Originally Posted by Sk8Man_
Run Flats are for track use only as they are designed or intended to be capable of going 50 miles only at 50 mph only, that's enough to get you back to the pit area for a replacement. You are increasing your risk using them as a daily driven tire on streets and highways as when one gives it up you will most likely be 150 miles from anywhere and when you get towed to anywhere no one will be able to repair it without damaging a wheel or something else and neither will anyone have a replacement tire. Your odds are better with Non-Run Flats and carrying an electric-pump and sealant, plugs and a plug-tool.

With that said, I run the Michelin Run-Flats, but I have had my Z07 for two years and have 7000 miles on it, but I hold my breath where the tires are concerned ever time I leave the house even though I have had no flats yet . . . knock on wood as they say!!!
_
The following users liked this post:
BearZ06 (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 07:04 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,766 Likes on 969 Posts

While todays era run flats are light years over the C5 hard as rock run flats, there make a lot more noise compared to non run flats, and the ride is more harsh compared to non run flats, at least that is what I found in replacing my 16' and now my 17' Z06 run flat tires. On my 16' I used extreme contacts continentals, on my 17' I used Nitto Invo's and 345's on the rear, front stock size, extreme contacts were back ordered, and I have Nitto's on my hellcat and they work great
Old 09-18-2017, 08:10 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by hcvone
On my 16' I used extreme contacts continentals, on my 17' I used Nitto Invo's and 345's on the rear, front stock size, extreme contacts were back ordered, and I have Nitto's on my hellcat and they work great
Blanket statements like this are misleading to people ignorant of tire characteristics and performance on the C7 chassis.

Continental EC and Nitto Invo's might be adequate for your usage which I imagine is different than mine. I don't drive around town and only on the highways getting to fun, challenging roads where performance is my only criteria regarding tires.

I wouldn't run the Continental EC or Nitto's if they were given to me for free. They are not in the same league as the MPSS ZP from a performance perspective. This has been proven by many with quantitative lap times.

For performance the Nitto's are just terrible and the EC better, but not by much. Same with the Pirelli run flats, just not is the same league as the MPSS.

Last edited by rikhek; 09-18-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:47 PM
djnice
Melting Slicks

Received 516 Likes on 445 Posts

So far the Pirelli racing slicks work good for me on the track and they are not run flat.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:16 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

I replaced the OE with Pirelli runflats on mine and while not a racer by any means they did awesome on my 2800 mile road trip and gripped great on several runs through the Tail of the Dragon.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:46 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,766 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhek
Blanket statements like this are misleading to people ignorant of tire characteristics and performance on the C7 chassis.

Continental EC and Nitto Invo's might be adequate for your usage which I imagine is different than mine. I don't drive around town and only on the highways getting to fun, challenging roads where performance is my only criteria regarding tires.

I wouldn't run the Continental EC or Nitto's if they were given to me for free. They are not in the same league as the MPSS ZP from a performance perspective. This has been proven by many with quantitative lap times.

For performance the Nitto's are just terrible and the EC better, but not by much. Same with the Pirelli run flats, just not is the same league as the MPSS.
Everyone uses their car differently, and drives different roads, and different events. Nitto's on my hellcat hookup great on the streets I drive in the summer, the cars got 840 plus rwhp and it's the only things that worked on the street that was not a drag radial. I have cup tires that came with the car for events, but they don't work in the rain and cold, so the Invo's get me there and work in water and cold, got a lift so changing wheels and tires are like washing the car, although washing takes much longer, but then again I am old.

Get notified of new replies

To Run Flats

Old 09-18-2017, 07:43 PM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

Originally Posted by djnice
So far the Pirelli racing slicks work good for me on the track and they are not run flat.
Very true. I just had a set mounted for a track day in 2 days. Based upon the verbiage I do believe the OP was talking street tires ;-)

Originally Posted by hcvone
Everyone uses their car differently, and drives different roads, and different events. Nitto's on my hellcat hookup great on the streets I drive in the summer, the cars got 840 plus rwhp and it's the only things that worked on the street that was not a drag radial. I have cup tires that came with the car for events, but they don't work in the rain and cold, so the Invo's get me there and work in water and cold, got a lift so changing wheels and tires are like washing the car, although washing takes much longer, but then again I am old.
If anyone cares, I agree 100%. It's why I VERY CLEARLY stated that for "my" usage the tires mentioned are a no go. It's also why I explained my usage as to why they aren't an option for me.

My intent was to express exactly the point you make. Different usage demands different tires. There are options out there to suit anyone's needs. No one tire will work for everybody. Selection should be based upon your needs. The OP's question of what others are using instead of run flats is impossible to answer without stating his goal.

Last edited by Steve Garrett; 09-18-2017 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Merged Posts-please use the Multi-Quote button (the middle icon) in the lower right hand corner of each post to make your reply look like this.
Old 09-18-2017, 08:50 PM
Jus Cruisin
Drifting

Received 165 Likes on 119 Posts

I've ditched the runflats as soon as I could on every Corvette I've had with them (5). I just drive on the streets with them.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:33 PM
Sk8Man_
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by wonka12_98
Many things you said are not true. Run Flats are not just meant for the track! My co-worker has a new Honda van that came STOCK with run flats. There is absolutely no increased risks of using them on a daily basis. Honestly I don't know where you are driving but I'm almost ALWAYS within 50 miles of someplace. BTW many places are now able to repair these tires. Things have changed in the last few years.
Nothing I said is untrue! We are talking about the Michelins like those that come on the Z07 not a Honda Van so lets stay on subject and not talk in generalities!!! I am driving in TEXAS, the Panhandle area, Amarillo in particular, a town of 200,000 people and you will not find the Michelin Cup 2 or SS/ZP in stock anywhere in this town. It is 3 to 5 hours drive in any direction to the next town of equal or larger size, oh there are places within 50 miles but not many and none are more than 15,000 population. It is 400 miles and 5.5 hours to Dallas, 250 miles and 3.5 hours to OKC, 285 miles and 4.5 hours to Albuquerque, NM and about 150 miles and 2.5 hours to Lubbock, Texas. One is taking a serious chance by traveling on tires that are good for only 50 miles at 50mph. Your looking at spending hours getting towed/hauled with possible damage done to the car into a town of any size that have the tires in stock and people there that have the experience required to install them w/o ruining a wheel. I have read of people either looking at three to five days to get a tire repaired or shipped in so they can get back on the road if they can find someone who is even willing to take on this tire and wheel combination for servicing. Or you can pay a several hundred dollars and just have the car hauled back to your home town because your trip is screwed!

As I see it, your main complaint is because I used the adjective "only" rather than "primarily" when I stated in my first post that run-flats were for track use "only". NO! One can run them for street use, I do, but one is placing themselves at a greater risk for hours if not days of inconvenience, possible damage to their car, to the wheel, and a greatly increased cost by doing so. It's a simple common sense consideration of logistics.
_

Last edited by Sk8Man_; 09-19-2017 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Run Flats