C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Service Message

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 09:53 PM
flyguy0812
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Service Message

What does an intermittent "Service Rear Axle' "Service Stabilitrac" mean? Only happens under spirited driving on twisting roads in a "Track Mode"?
Old 11-18-2017, 11:21 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It means there is a failure that is affecting both of those features. Since it is two features it has to be a failure that is common to both of them. Certain engine failures will affect both. Basically, the diff and abs (stability control is a function of the abs) are notified by the PCM it can't control the engine properly to meet the requirements of those two features so they set internal codes that tell the mechanic they can't perform their functions without the engine issue being resolved. Basically, codes like that tell the mechanic the problem isn't here it is at this other location. The messages aren't codes they are the result of codes that trigger the messages when the codes are set in the module.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 11-18-2017 at 11:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Anthony j (10-11-2021)
Old 11-19-2017, 09:00 PM
flyguy0812
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It means there is a failure that is affecting both of those features. Since it is two features it has to be a failure that is common to both of them. Certain engine failures will affect both. Basically, the diff and abs (stability control is a function of the abs) are notified by the PCM it can't control the engine properly to meet the requirements of those two features so they set internal codes that tell the mechanic they can't perform their functions without the engine issue being resolved. Basically, codes like that tell the mechanic the problem isn't here it is at this other location. The messages aren't codes they are the result of codes that trigger the messages when the codes are set in the module.

Bill
So how does a technician diagnose the problem if there are no codes or check engine light on?
Old 11-20-2017, 03:09 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I had the same problem when I changed tires one time and didn't reset the tpms sensors manually for the new tires. Once I set that it hasn't happened since. Have you replaced tires or wheels by any chance?
Old 11-20-2017, 07:04 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by flyguy0812
So how does a technician diagnose the problem if there are no codes or check engine light on?
Not all codes set a CEL. Even when there isn't a CEL there are freeze frame and history reports for codes that don't turn on the CEL. OBD II scanners may not be able to access that information.

Bill
Old 09-28-2021, 02:46 PM
ruracing
Intermediate

Default service stabilitrac

I was running my 2019 GS on a high bank oval track and my service stabilitrac light came on and stayed on until we stopped. After we stopped when I re-started the car the light was off?
Old 09-30-2021, 10:21 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Since you have revived this old thread, I will note that a month or so ago I also got the "Service Rear Axle" message, but then I got "Reduced Power" and a rough running engine. Barely made it to my dealer which was 10 minutes away. I had a broken valve spring on #7 exhaust. This message seems to come up whenever something affects the drive train. Sometimes it means big problems, other times not so much. My broken valve spring had nothing to do with the rear axle. --Bob

Last edited by ZR1Bob; 09-30-2021 at 10:23 AM.
Old 10-02-2021, 12:14 AM
need-for-speed
Team Owner

Received 865 Likes on 608 Posts
CI 1-4-5-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '03,'04,'05,'07,08,'09,'10,’17

Originally Posted by ZR1Bob
Since you have revived this old thread, I will note that a month or so ago I also got the "Service Rear Axle" message, but then I got "Reduced Power" and a rough running engine. Barely made it to my dealer which was 10 minutes away. I had a broken valve spring on #7 exhaust. This message seems to come up whenever something affects the drive train. Sometimes it means big problems, other times not so much. My broken valve spring had nothing to do with the rear axle. --Bob
wowee ! Let us know how the repair goes.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:31 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

I had this happen to me after trickle charging the car. Whatever the lithium ion smart charger does (I have an aftermarket battery), the car's electronics doesn't like it, and it crashes, which show itself with that rear axle service message. Shutting down the car, getting out, and then getting back in always fixed the issue for me in this case.

There are many reasons why this might happen, but I just wanted to highlight that it might not even be related with the rear axle, as I see it after an incompatible trickle charger.
Old 10-06-2021, 08:39 AM
rtv900
Drifting

Received 546 Likes on 362 Posts

I got that message twice now, always when my car was relatively cold and I got on it hard right off the line.
Always clears once the car is shut off for a bit and re started.
It is annoying though because it puts the stability control in a limp mode while it is active so you can't take a corner at even half the speed the car could handle
Old 10-06-2021, 09:28 AM
cptahab67
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill's point is spot on..I had the exact same codes "service rear axle" and "stabilitrack" then "reduced power" it was a #2 Spark Plug Failure.
Had dealer change all 8 spark plugs since the passenger side engine bay components for #2 plug access were removed already.
This fixed the rough engine idle and reduced power. Obviously nothing was wrong with rear axle and stabilitrack as suggested.

Cheers!
Pete
Old 10-08-2021, 04:54 PM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

A couple of weeks ago I also got a Service "stabiltrack" and "service rear axle" message on the and scanned the codes through the tourque Pro App and I got the following codes:
U0073 - Network
U012A - Network
B2AA - Body
P0420 - Powertrain: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0430 - Powertrain: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

Drove it around and it went away after a couple of engine cycles.
Feedback that I got was low battery or alternator not charging but I don't know!? 2016 M7 C7Z on stock original battery still.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Message

Quick Reply: Service Message