C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

2017 C7 Z06 Warranty Alignment Paint protection Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 12:01 AM
FL KEYS ON
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2017 C7 Z06 Warranty Alignment Paint protection Questions

Not new to corvettes, but new to C7Z so have some newbie questions.

Tires: For those who do not track your car, did you get a wheel alignment at the 500 miles oil change? Since it will not be used on the track, the wheel alignment will extend the tire tread wear helping the tires to last longer - is this a common practice with non tracked Z06 and Grand Sports?

Paint protection: I've seen most of the threads on the mud flaps and will need to get those. It looks like there is already protection at the rear air duct - similar to cleartastic - must have been installed from the factory? It does not come to the edges though like I read cleartastic does - not sure if it can be changed out though. Was this something offered on the 2017 models that was not on the 2015-2016?

Thanks

Last edited by FL KEYS ON; 11-19-2017 at 12:51 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 09:47 PM
fasthwks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes get the alignment done at 500 miles for sure if you are not tracking, I did mine then and at 3k my tires have perfectly even wear across. I did my 17 z the same way and at 5k miles had the same great wear on all tires.
I would strongly recommend doing clear bra on the entire rear quarter and adding guards of some kind. The clear piece was the same on all years from OEM. Enjoy!
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (12-07-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 09:59 PM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by FL KEYS ON
Not new to corvettes, but new to C7Z so have some newbie questions.

Tires: For those who do not track your car, did you get a wheel alignment at the 500 miles oil change? Since it will not be used on the track, the wheel alignment will extend the tire tread wear helping the tires to last longer - is this a common practice with non tracked Z06 and Grand Sports?
Thanks
Can't speak for paint issue as I don't have any but when I went in for the "under warranty alignment" it has to be under 6 months of ownership and under 7500 miles. I recommend doing it right away if they have all the proper tools. They did give me a price break of $129 as I was beyond 6 months, still not expensive.
Gonzo (12-07-2017)
Old 11-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

The factory alignment is more of a performance street alignment Vs a track alignment. The factory alignment comes with front and rear camber around -1.1 degrees while the recommended track alignment is -2.0 degrees. You can change the camber to -0.7 or so and get better tread wear without sacrificing street handling. Increase the camber more than -0.7 and you will start to lose the feel that makes the car a Corvette.

Bill
Gonzo (12-07-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 07:29 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Yea at 500 miles I told them to check the alignment, and wanted it for the street, which it comes from the factory that way, but mine was slightly off. Paint protection I put on the factory mud flaps aka factory splash guards, and had the whole car wrapped in 3M clear protection, 100% of the painted surfaces, after I did paint correction.
Gonzo (12-07-2017)
Old 11-20-2017, 10:46 AM
madrob2020
Melting Slicks

Received 957 Likes on 620 Posts

I believe it's hit or miss with a "good" factory street alignment. I kept close eye on all 4 tires from purchase in Aug. '16 ("16 m7 Z), especially when jacking to add mid-pipe, brake pad changes, skip shift eliminator, & just as a matter of getting down on knees every so often. Now at 9000 miles with no uneven wear. Did do the left to right rotation at 7500 miles. I've been to Spring Mtn. but honestly on county/state roads how would one know if the car is handling better or worse with an alignment? Sure, on a prepped, smooth track like SM (they use sweepers each nite to get rid of gravel) you probably would notice but roads are way too uneven, different types of surface material (sometimes within just a couple of miles), "ruts", harsh bumps, etc., to "know" it has improved after alignment. Just keep checking treadwear about every 1000 miles & as soon as uneven wear shows (if), like others have said get it done before the required period expires. JMHO
Gonzo (12-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 11:58 AM
Speedfreaq
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SLEEKVET
Can't speak for paint issue as I don't have any but when I went in for the "under warranty alignment" it has to be under 6 months of ownership and under 7500 miles. I recommend doing it right away if they have all the proper tools. They did give me a price break of $129 as I was beyond 6 months, still not expensive.
I have a new z06 and took it in for a 500 mile oil change and asked for a price to get the ride height adjusted and a four wheel alignment. They quoted about 500.00. That sounds extremely high to me. I'm in Central Ohio..just south / east of Columbus
Old 12-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

What is the best alignment for regular street use? Is there an accepted set up that has been proven best?
Old 12-07-2017, 02:38 PM
SLEEKVET
Pro

Received 191 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedfreaq
I have a new z06 and took it in for a 500 mile oil change and asked for a price to get the ride height adjusted and a four wheel alignment. They quoted about 500.00. That sounds extremely high to me. I'm in Central Ohio..just south / east of Columbus
If your under 6 months and your at the 500 mile oil change, just tell them your car is pulling some and to do the alignment (if they have the proper tools). It should be covered under warranty. If outside the 6 months and miles, my dealer quoted me by the hour. 2+ hours roughly is the norm, so about $250. $500 seems very high. My dealer gave me a break at the passenger car rate of $129, but they should be quoting by the hour.

Last edited by SLEEKVET; 12-07-2017 at 02:39 PM.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:16 PM
Speedfreaq
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by SLEEKVET
If your under 6 months and your at the 500 mile oil change, just tell them your car is pulling some and to do the alignment (if they have the proper tools). It should be covered under warranty. If outside the 6 months and miles, my dealer quoted me by the hour. 2+ hours roughly is the norm, so about $250. $500 seems very high. My dealer gave me a break at the passenger car rate of $129, but they should be quoting by the hour.
Thanks. I thought so and left, refusing the alignment.
They seemed surprised I refused it.
​​​ One of the largest Vette dealers around.

Get notified of new replies

To 2017 C7 Z06 Warranty Alignment Paint protection Questions

Quick Reply: 2017 C7 Z06 Warranty Alignment Paint protection Questions