C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

Whine in neutral with clutch out

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 07:03 PM
IsItFast
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whine in neutral with clutch out

So my M7 has a pretty noticeable whine when sitting in neutral with the clutch out. When you press the clutch in the whine goes away. While it's not awful, it is loud enough to hear over the radio and A/C when sitting at a light. First dealer I took it to was horrible at communicating with me and stated the tech couldn't couldn't hear it. Got tired of non-communication with my service writer so just picked i up. Took it in for 5 things and they fixed 2 just FYI. Took it to another dealer today and was told this whine is "normal" and "they all do it". From ones I have seen and from what I read some do and some don't. Does yours? Also, sometimes when I go to take off I hear a HORRIBLE metal on metal sound. This only happens maybe 1-2 times a month so I know the dealer won't ever hear that but it sounds like a throughout bearing issue to me. Maybe it's normal once you get some miles on them? Mine has about 23k on it and has done it since I bought it 3K miles ago.
Old 02-03-2018, 02:05 PM
AJay
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Definitely not normal. Try another dealer.
Old 02-03-2018, 03:32 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Have you checked the fluid? Any leaks? It's definitely not normal.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:45 PM
IsItFast
Instructor

Originally Posted by MSG C5
Have you checked the fluid? Any leaks? It's definitely not normal.
No leaks. I changed the diff fluid when I got home (drove it across the country) because it had 20K on it and had heard the cap is only on hand tight from the factory (which mine was) and it looked rather dirty. I normally do my oil changes myself but since I was taking it in for this issue and the suspension update I figured I'd let them do it so they can check to see if there are any other issues. But it has made the noise since I got it. I guess if he calls me next week and says that is normal I will ask him to go start a few on the lot and see if they all do it. If they do, I will accept that it is "normal".
Old 02-03-2018, 08:17 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

It could be something in the clutch but I suspect it is something downstream of the Clutch. When the clutch pedal is out the clutch is engaged and everything is spinning together including the drive shaft inside the torque tube and the transmission input shaft.

Usually when you want somebody to diagnose a noise you need them to ride with you otherwise they may not notice it until you duplicate the exact conditions.

Bill
Old 02-03-2018, 08:27 PM
IsItFast
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
It could be something in the clutch but I suspect it is something downstream of the Clutch. When the clutch pedal is out the clutch is engaged and everything is spinning together including the drive shaft inside the torque tube and the transmission input shaft.

Usually when you want somebody to diagnose a noise you need them to ride with you otherwise they may not notice it until you duplicate the exact conditions.

Bill
It only does it at idle (that I can hear). I had my service writer listen just so once again I didn't have this dealer telling me they couldn't hear it. He was the one that said that was normal saying the few he has driven all made that noise. He was outside the car and you can't really hear it with the motor, exhaust, etc. when on the outside of the car. We will see what the tech says this week when they look at it. As I said, you can easily hear it over the A/C, and radio when inside the cart and the motor and exhaust noise is muted from sound deadening so it's pretty significant. The occasional metal on metal sounds is what tells me this is not normal.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:17 AM
Pro

Received 222 Likes on 113 Posts

a (very) small amount of rollover noise is normal...but a whine definitely is not.
Old 02-04-2018, 01:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by IsItFast
It only does it at idle (that I can hear). I had my service writer listen just so once again I didn't have this dealer telling me they couldn't hear it. He was the one that said that was normal saying the few he has driven all made that noise. He was outside the car and you can't really hear it with the motor, exhaust, etc. when on the outside of the car. We will see what the tech says this week when they look at it. As I said, you can easily hear it over the A/C, and radio when inside the cart and the motor and exhaust noise is muted from sound deadening so it's pretty significant. The occasional metal on metal sounds is what tells me this is not normal.
There are bushings and bearings in the path from the clutch output to the inside of the transmission and any of them could make a whining or rattling noise. All of that stuff is sitting right next to you when you are in the car. The clutch output near your feet and the front of the transmission near your butt. On top of that there are openings from the tunnel to inside the car where the transmission shift mechanism comes out of the top of the tunnel.

Bill
Old 02-04-2018, 04:43 PM
IsItFast
Instructor

I've had a C5, and C6 Z over the past 15 years so I do understand that once the clutch is released it spins everything back to the transmission. So some noise is "normal". But this sound is NOTHING like those cars. Think how loud your A/C is at full blast; I can hear it over that.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:42 PM
KTVette
Instructor

Default 2005 mine too...

Originally Posted by IsItFast
So my M7 has a pretty noticeable whine when sitting in neutral with the clutch out. When you press the clutch in the whine goes away. While it's not awful, it is loud enough to hear over the radio and A/C when sitting at a light. First dealer I took it to was horrible at communicating with me and stated the tech couldn't couldn't hear it. Got tired of non-communication with my service writer so just picked i up. Took it in for 5 things and they fixed 2 just FYI. Took it to another dealer today and was told this whine is "normal" and "they all do it". From ones I have seen and from what I read some do and some don't. Does yours? Also, sometimes when I go to take off I hear a HORRIBLE metal on metal sound. This only happens maybe 1-2 times a month so I know the dealer won't ever hear that but it sounds like a throughout bearing issue to me. Maybe it's normal once you get some miles on them? Mine has about 23k on it and has done it since I bought it 3K miles ago.
Engage clutch goes away and really only when cold. When warms up goes away. No performance issues. ??????? Surely somebody has a bead on this. Clutch complete rebuild all original Z51 clutch parts.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:39 AM
pnoman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I suspect it’s the release bearing.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:54 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

My first guess would be throw out bearing but I know nothing about the m7 so...
Old 03-24-2018, 02:30 PM
jaden61
Melting Slicks

Received 335 Likes on 243 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist

My guess would be throw out bearing also.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ing-noise.html

Last edited by jaden61; 03-24-2018 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:27 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Old 03-24-2018, 06:13 PM
IsItFast
Instructor

Yeah I have suspected a the throw out bearing from day one but after the second dealership has stated that noise is normal and/or blames it on my MGW shifter what am I to do? I said if that noise is normal lets go listen to another on the lot but they stated they didn't have a M7 car on the lot to compare it to but all the others that came in make that same noise (which is BS). And the metal on metal "whine" it makes occasionally when taking off from a stop is getting more frequent; though it isn't happening enough that I know it will do it when I take it in. At least the last dealer acknowledged the noise and stated they talked to GM about it (probably another lie) but better than the first dealer saying they couldn't even hear it.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:42 PM
Can'tHave2MuchHP
Pro

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

I had this noise on my old Vette, complete with the horrible metal to metal noise once and a while, and it was the throw out bearing.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:38 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

I don't think it's normal either. I don't hear it on my m7. What year is your car? If you still have a few more years on the warranty you might be better off not doing anything. In the meantime find a dealership that works on a lot of vettes and knows what they're doing. If not you might have more problems after they fix it than you had before.

Get notified of new replies

To Whine in neutral with clutch out

Old 03-26-2018, 04:28 PM
IsItFast
Instructor

I know it's not normal, everyone on here knows it's not normal (it seems) and anyone that knows anything about a manual transmission knows that the symptoms are exactly what the throw out bearing would be causing the problem. So the issue is finding a dealer that will actually work on finding the problem. I live in Kansas City so I took it to one of the largest Vette dealers in the city for the first time. I had a horrible experience with this dealership about 14 years ago with my first Vette but figured surely stuff had changed with them that time. Boy was I wrong! They were the dealer that stated they couldn't even hear the noise. But even without that issue it was a horrible experience there. The service writer refused to call me back so nothing could get resolved. Even asked for the suspension software update to be done (that I would be paying for) and she couldn't even do that for me. Since I was told I was the car was ready (not by the writer) I went in to pick it up and they couldn't find my paperwork, then tried to charge me for warranty work. I explained lack of communication was a major issue (my writer wasn't there that day). The place is a joke so I have no desire to go back to that one.

So I took it to dealer #2 which where my service writer there said all he has seen make that noise. Hey, at least he admitted hearing the noise. And their "transmission guy" said it was normal. "GM" says it is normal. That is when I requested to listen to another on the lot but of coarse they don't have an M7. And then they said if anything was causing it the noise it was from my MGW shifter transferring noise into the inside.

The car is a 2015 so I still have about a year and a half left on powertrain warranty; hopefully I can get it straightened out within that time. At least it's just an annoyance rather than something critical but sucks that a $90k car has some odd noise that no others have and I am being told it is normal by the dealers.
Old 04-30-2019, 08:01 PM
TONYpepperon1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any update on this? I have a new 2019 and have same issue.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:54 AM
Road machine
Safety Car

Received 250 Likes on 164 Posts

Sounds like a problem with the Torque tube. There are bearings in the torque tube that are not serviceable. Link...https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...rque-tube.html

The test for a throwout bearing is to put light pressure on the clutch pedal but not enough to disengage the clutch. If the sound changes or goes away it is the throwout bearing, if not it is something else. In these cars the something else is the torque tube.

Last edited by Road machine; 05-01-2019 at 10:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Whine in neutral with clutch out