C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

C7 Z06 A8 can I disable 4 cyl mode ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 03:55 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by vdavenp802
I have nearly 20K miles in 3 years and NEVER had any kind of warranty issue, much less the one you describe. Not sure where you got your information, but it sounds suspect to me.
Actually, these torque convertor issues were fairly well discussed on this board - including the belt replacement need(s).
Old 02-12-2018, 06:35 PM
vdavenp802
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by HighBeta
Actually, these torque convertor issues were fairly well discussed on this board - including the belt replacement need(s).
Yeah right. Also discussed is tire wear, but that doesn't mean anything.
Proof, whats your source and documentation? Huh?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:38 PM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

What you do with your car is of zero concern to me but to get you started on your documentation you can start with GM's current TSB which is at least the 6th one they have issued in a series to deal with the issue of torque converter clutch shudder since the 8L90 was released: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...tate-1324.html

And "the Google" is free, do your own research...
The following 2 users liked this post by NSC5:
azcanuk (01-18-2019), HighBeta (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 08:45 PM
Mike Jesse
Burning Brakes

Received 265 Likes on 195 Posts

My Z06 has never gone into V4 mode, my Stingray OTOH would switch back and forth frequently.
Old 02-12-2018, 11:41 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
Or, if you leave the car for long (?) periods, just keep your trickle charger plugged in.
Exactly!
Old 02-13-2018, 06:07 AM
IM3CPO
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I tried a Range in my 2017 Z06 and it caused a CEL (and subsequent limp mode) after a couple days use. I even sent it in the Range to get it "updated" but ended up with the same issue, so I ended up returning it.

I decided to try the DiabloSport version of essentially the same thing but just ordered it today. I am crossing my fingers that this works as I seriously HATE stinking V4 mode!!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Gonzo (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 06:53 AM
NSC5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,100 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by IM3CPO
I tried a Range in my 2017 Z06 and it caused a CEL (and subsequent limp mode) after a couple days use. I even sent it in the Range to get it "updated" but ended up with the same issue, so I ended up returning it.

I decided to try the DiabloSport version of essentially the same thing but just ordered it today. I am crossing my fingers that this works as I seriously HATE stinking V4 mode!!!!!
Range recently came out with their newest update (maybe a month old); I wouldn't be surprised if Diablo is still selling one of the older versions. I haven't followed that closely since my 2016 was fine with a previous update but check on the general forum and I believe the 2017 and 2018 owners are doing fine with the newest version.

What I did with my Range prior to the update was to turn it on after the vehicle was started since the only issue with it and the 2016 was an infrequent random communications issue at startup interrupting transmission to engine communications. When the ECM and TCM cannot communicate the 8L90 goes into its default protection mode locking into 4th gear in the forward range, this is used to protect the transmission when its controller cannot communicate with the ECM in order to request torque reduction like what you experience at full throttle upshifts.

The 8L90 is a very good transmission that causes very few issues in the Z06 and if it weren't for it frequently being exposed to V4 mode in the base Corvette there would be very few complaints with it in that application. There was an early update that addressed a fluid drainback issue that causes slow engagement during the first start after it sits for a long period of time but this was more of an annoyance than a serious problem. There were programming updates to address some operating quirks such as an initial rough 1 to 2 shift and this issue is much improved after the new calibration and can be completely avoided, if one finds it sufficiently bothersome, by putting the transmission into manual mode with it stopped and paddle up to second and then back to first and then go back into drive and operate it normally. Apparently with some Corvettes it was more noticeable than others but I have never found it bothersome with my 2016 Z06 although I can tell a difference with that initial 1 to 2 shift if I first go through the paddle routine before pulling out of the driveway.

It isn't unusual for the manufacturer to update calibrations, especially with a newly developed transmission and even an ongoing design coupled with a new engine will exhibit behaviors in the field that call for calibration updates. So it isn't surprising that the 8L90 had some calibration updates but those don't mean it is in any way a bad transmission. I am getting ready to order a new GMC diesel pickup and it will have virtually the same Allison 1000 series 6 speed auto that is in my 2006 GMC which is nearly identical to the original 5 speed used in my 2001 (GM didn't bother utilizing the second overdrive capability when they first adopted this transmission). Yet for the 2017/2018 diesel pickups with the newest Duramax diesel engine there have already been at least two calibration updates for the transmission to provide better operation.

The 8L90 in the Corvette application provides a great transmission and with it not being crippled via the AFM/V4 system it is very reliable. Certainly some 8L90 transmissions fail but that is true of every transmission, engine, and other component ever made. If you take out the AFM induced torque converter issues then the complaints about the 8L90 are no more than any other automatic GM has produced and far less than many.

And some of the other complaints are sort of humorous as in one thread in the general forum advising people to buy the M7 instead of the A8/8L90 because the Porsche PDK responds more quickly to paddle input than the 8L90. It is true that there is a slight delay between paddle input and shift completion which is based more upon a delay in how the BCM determines that the requested shift won't result in either engine overspeed or insufficient RPM to produce the required power rather than the ability of the 8L90 to shift quickly. AND the 8L90 is still faster than the M7 can be shifted manually so using the "slower than a PDK logic" it would make no sense to buy any Corvette given the extreme slowness of M7 shifting compared to the PDK-a logic that isn't logical.
HighBeta (02-14-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 05:21 PM
DougDavis
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Range Deactivator Battery Draw

Originally Posted by jcthorne
No, many phone calls and actual trials have got the power thing solved in the latest version. Web site is out of date. You can actually watch the unit power down.
I spoke with them today right before ordering my AFM Deactivator. They still recommend unplugging if you aren't going to crank the car for a couple of weeks. I will solve that by attaching a battery tender if I'm going out of town. Luckily the C& tender came with my 2019.
syswayne (07-28-2018)
Old 09-02-2018, 12:44 PM
The T-man
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by NSC5
As part of this beautiful V4 technology GM includes a special feature to ensure that your torque converter lockup clutch doesn't last too long by continuously modulating it on and off during V4 mode to reduce the transmission of engine vibration to the rest of the car. This ensures that you will get to visit your GM dealer during warranty to have the torque converter serviced and then it is even better after the warranty runs out because not only do you get to visit the dealer for the exciting torque converter repair you also get to pay for it.

I have no idea why anyone would want to pass up such a wonderful and generous opportunity from the General.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:05 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Yes, true. Also DS may spoof the CVN so that a quick CVN check will not show a nonstock tune, but GM has ways of checking past that with the pcm still in the car. Several folks on the ATS-V forum have had warranty blocks initiated after they went in with a tune that spoofed the CVN and was removed prior to the attempt for warranty work. I suppose GM is putting more emphasis on the turbo cars because of the extreme hp increases you can get simply with a tune, but if they are checking harder on those cars I can't imagine that we won't see that trickle into the Corvette crowd. The Cadillac ATS-V doesn't use DS but a similar handheld system with similar CVN spoofing capability.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:22 PM
C7/Z06 Man
Safety Car

Received 449 Likes on 354 Posts

I have never heard of a "DS" tune being discovered by GM if the tune was removed before service (do a search here and I think you will find that to be true) now for any other brand of hand held tuner that may not be true along with HP Tuners.

Last edited by C7/Z06 Man; 01-18-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:08 AM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

CVN spoofing is a relatively simple process and has been used by a number of tuners and sellers of tuning software. If the CVN is spoofed the pcm does not show a history of reflashing as the computer thinks it is the stock tune. And in fact no record of the flash is recorded in the 10 reflash history in the PCM. However the Global Diagnostic System 2 (GDS2) which replaced the Tech 2, has been given the ability to tell if a vehicle has been tuned without reading the simple reflash table (based on CVNs) that GM previously used to check for non stock tunes. I agree that we in the Corvette community have not seen an instance of a warranty block yet based on this new ability but there have been a number of warranty blocks reported on the ATS-V forum. Remember with a turbo car a simple tune can add quite a lot of horsepower. If you have a V2 from EFILive you can pull the reflash history on your car based on the CVN just as folks with the Tech2 and early GDS2s could. However the warranty blocks have come with no reflashes shown in that 10 reflash history table. So updated GDS2s have some added ability to check for tuning changes to the stock tune other than simply looking at the reflash history table.

Whether or not CVN spoofing will continue to work for Corvette owners, I don't know. But anybody tuning their car should be ready to pay for any warranty repairs out of pocket. If they don't get caught well they got away with something. But I don't expect GM is going to be happy being fooled into paying for warranty repairs on tuned cars. Looking at the reflash table was simply their first procedure for checking the tune. Don't think that somebody at GM hasn't figured out a way to check the tune past that simple reflash table.

Last edited by pkincy; 09-03-2018 at 12:13 AM.
Vegas1500 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:08 AM
chucky7
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Default disable 4 mode

While in Manual mode, it is disabled.
Old 01-18-2019, 07:29 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 419 Likes on 290 Posts

Many of these same gals/guys on another tread said you cant have enough HP (500, 600, 800, Zr1 etc) but how many are the same here who want to save a few pennies or use eco mode? Just people who want to argue..

Last edited by V Vette; 01-18-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 01-18-2019, 12:34 PM
Parcival
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by NTMD8R
As the title says.
I'd like to disable the 4 cyl mode permanently (or at least on demand).

Any thoughts ?
Drive to dealer and trade in for an M7 (srsly, that's what I did).

Originally Posted by V Vette
Many of these same gals/guys on another tread said you cant have enough HP (500, 600, 800, Zr1 etc) but how many are the same here who want to save a few pennies or use eco mode? Just people who want to argue..
I wasn't one who was part of that argument.
But while I was at trading in the A8 for an M7, 460 hp wasn't enough... but 650 hp@crank stock is!!
And I still use Eco when I want, infuriatingly to some here!!

Last edited by Parcival; 01-18-2019 at 12:37 PM.

Quick Reply: C7 Z06 A8 can I disable 4 cyl mode ?