C7 Z06 Discussion General Z06 Corvette Discussion, LT4 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: GEM Motorsports

MRC Update - My review

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:15 AM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

Regarding updates, I guess some of you guys aren't Home Audio/Video fans...
Old 02-19-2018, 04:57 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by HighBeta
Greg, I think that Bill was correct in all aspects with his post.

Wonder if this might be a defect?!?! Someone goes to the track and crashes some lawyer will be all over this!,,

I also think that your equating a recall notice for defects with performance or comfort upgrades is incorrect: vendor needs to correct a defect? That is their financial obligation. Vendor offers me the code to improve my car? Then it's something I can choose to pay for, or not.
To me it comes down to customer service. If you remember after Xmas a lady had the ***** to return a dead Xmas tree to costco. And they gave her a refund. Extreme. Over on OT there was quite a debate around this. One member said he worked at Nordstrom’s and a valued customer returned a set of used tires and they gave her a refund. nordstroms never sold a tire. They took care of her. I don’t shop at Nordstrom’s nor Costco because there are none near me, but this type of customer care is impressive.

In the world of amazon and how they have changed the market and Tesla all I am suggesting in chevy has a chance to spread good will

In my case I am overdue for a new car especially since my warranty is soon up. Gm has nothing in the corvette line which is much different then my 16 Z and I don’t need more HP with the new buggy. Giving me a free update to improve my 16 might keep me with corvette or influence me to wait for the zora.

Simply put companies need to compete for my $. Gm expects to sell cars north of $100k they need to make customers feel special and I don’t think this does, at least not me.

Last edited by Greg00Coupe; 02-19-2018 at 04:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
sunsalem (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 08:02 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by fleming23
No sir, you have a 60-70k used 2016 (maybe...).

Why should this be free? Every model comes out with new features and upgrades. If you want the latest and greatest I would be willing to bet your dealer will offer you $50k for your "$90k Chevy" so you can upgrade to all the newest features.
the auto industry is taking its business model the way of the software industry. It’s an upgrade of functionality that a couple of 20’something year old guys sitting at a key board monkeyed around with then experimented with on a test car. They might have spent a month on this science project so gm is trying to Re-coup the cost of these guys salaries and benefits —- been there done it myself trying to figure out how to pay for non-revenue generating employee overhead — but not in the auto industry.

Pretty soon we we will have electronically controlled golf clubs and bowling ***** to go along with our heavily electronically nannified sports cars. All this stuff is probably needed on a 650 horse car when turning it loose on the street to owners with less then stellar judgment —- lol!

as you said you can trade in your 90k car and get 50k applied to the 2019 90k car and get the 350 buck upgrade for free. Lol!

Last edited by Mr. Gizmo; 02-19-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:30 PM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I guess you just have low expectations. These cars cost more then Cadillac and customers should be treated better.

Gm has a chance to define customer care and they fail at a simple opportunity.
These don't cost anywhere near what some imports and exotics do and not a single one of them offers something like this for free either. Hell most don't offer anything like this at all, period. I know on some of the later model Porsches they offer an updated software calibration for sport mode and it's added to the Porsche dealer SPS system just like GM does with this and requires a trip to a dealership or authorized porsche center. Porsche charged ~$1800 for the turbo cars because a buddy of mine had it added to his car a while back at the dealership. Makes $350 sound like a steal...

The only manufacturer that I know of that releases software updates with performance improvements for free is Tesla and that's probably because they don't technically have a dealership network and their vehicles can do over the air updates that don't require a visit to a dealership.
The following 2 users liked this post by NicD:
CPhelps (02-21-2018), rikhek (02-19-2018)
Old 02-19-2018, 07:15 PM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD

The only manufacturer that I know of that releases software updates with performance improvements for free is Tesla and that's probably because they don't technically have a dealership network and their vehicles can do over the air updates that don't require a visit to a dealership.
Yep. It's the ability to push the code for free OTA that enables Tesla to provide updates/upgrades for zero dollars. In our cases, the dealership (an independent business) needs to collect a few $$$ for taking up shop time.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:42 AM
gymdoc
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Anyone know if the update applies to 17? I have not seen any documentation mentioning 17 models.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:01 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

That’s a crappy attitude Bill. Assuming gm wants me to keep buying corvettes taking care of a customer should be priority #1. Companies spend big money keeping customers. Considering these types of upgrades cost gm very little they should make them available as a courtesy.

I guess when they put out a recall notice you’d bet glad to pay for it.
I don't think it is a crappy attitude. I believe in compensating people who go out of their way to improve the car they sold me 2 years ago even when they didn't have to. They did a lot of work to get the update correct and why shouldn't they be compensated for the work? They could have decided to work on the next model car and the Customers would have been just as happy. However, there are people who think they should always get a free ride no matter how much effort it takes somebody to do something. There is another term that can be applied to people who think it should be free, Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth. There is another old saying that doesn't quite fit but is close enough, Bite the hand that feeds you. Or maybe Kill the Golden Goose.

A recall is to fix a mistake, just like when something breaks and they fix it under warranty. They aren't fixing anything with this update. They are improving functionality and people pay for that and it is taking care of their Customers because they just chose to provide some investment protection for all of the 15,16 Z owners for a relatively low price. I don't need to run out and buy a 2018 or 2019 to come off corners harder. I now have the same capability in my 2 year old car. Let's see $350 for the capability or $100K for a new car to get the capability. Which would I prefer spending.

Bill
The following 8 users liked this post by Bill Dearborn:
BillY2KFRC (02-21-2018), cheapthrills (02-21-2018), DOOKEY (02-21-2018), HighBeta (02-21-2018), Lavender (03-17-2018), Neumonic2002 (02-23-2018), Satanspawn (02-26-2018), The Yav (02-26-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:16 AM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by gymdoc
Anyone know if the update applies to 17? I have not seen any documentation mentioning 17 models.
17 Z06 done yesterday. Drove home and already noticed the difference. Sat overnight so looking forward to taking her out this morning and get a better feel.

The dealers are making nothing on this, they get reimbursed for 20 minutes of time. No way they can call, download to there computer, hook everything up to your car then download to your car in 20 minutes.

Do wish GM could offer software update over the air.

Last edited by cheapthrills; 02-21-2018 at 09:17 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cheapthrills:
Checkmate1 (02-21-2018), gymdoc (02-21-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 04:31 PM
sunsalem
Race Director

Received 2,146 Likes on 1,521 Posts

MRC updated yesterday.
This morning I took my 2016 Z06 out for a drive after letting it sit overnite.

I only drive in Sport mode on the streets, what follows pertains only to that mode.
First thing I noticed right away is the considerably heavier steering.
Not enough to be a hinderance in any way, just weighter...I like it.

I drove about 10-12 city miles and did notice a much smoother ride.
The car feels much more planted and stable after going over potholes, etc.
Before, such defects in a road could rattle my dental fillings.

All in all, I think the $350 expense is a no-brainer and everyone should make an appt. at their dealer to have their car done.
The following 7 users liked this post by sunsalem:
cheapthrills (02-22-2018), Checkmate1 (02-21-2018), HighBeta (02-21-2018), Lavender (03-17-2018), tail_lights (02-21-2018), The Yav (02-22-2018), thebishman (02-21-2018) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-21-2018, 06:30 PM
SUB VETTE
SUBVETTE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Am I correct in assuming this upgrade is already installed in 18 and 19 models?
Old 02-21-2018, 06:40 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,143 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I don't think it is a crappy attitude. I believe in compensating people who go out of their way to improve the car they sold me 2 years ago even when they didn't have to. They did a lot of work to get the update correct and why shouldn't they be compensated for the work? They could have decided to work on the next model car and the Customers would have been just as happy. However, there are people who think they should always get a free ride no matter how much effort it takes somebody to do something. There is another term that can be applied to people who think it should be free, Look a Gift Horse in the Mouth. There is another old saying that doesn't quite fit but is close enough, Bite the hand that feeds you. Or maybe Kill the Golden Goose.

A recall is to fix a mistake, just like when something breaks and they fix it under warranty. They aren't fixing anything with this update. They are gimproving functionality and people pay for that and it is taking care of their Customers because they just chose to provide some investment protection for all of the 15,16 Z owners for a relatively low price. I don't need to run out and buy a 2018 or 2019 to come off corners harder. I now have the same capability in my 2 year old car. Let's see $350 for the capability or $100K for a new car to get the capability. Which would I prefer spending.

Bill
Gee thanks for helping me understand. I was completly wrong! Sorry!

Here I thought the customer was #1. I thought businesses bent over backwards to keep and make customers happy. Little did I realize GM was so hard up for money

I think I’ll get this done and pay them $700 to help them out. Plus I better reimburse them for those free oil changes
Old 02-21-2018, 09:14 PM
NicD
Burning Brakes

Received 520 Likes on 245 Posts

Here I thought the customer was #1. I thought businesses bent over backwards to keep and make customers happy. Little did I realize GM was so hard up for money

I think I’ll get this done and pay them $700 to help them out. Plus I better reimburse them for those free oil changes
Let me get this straight... basically you expect something for nothing and on top of that you feel as if you deserve it because you think GM has made enough money. I'm so glad you expect people to work for free, when are you signing up to do your job for free I wonder?
The following 3 users liked this post by NicD:
fleming23 (02-22-2018), Lavender (03-17-2018), Satanspawn (02-26-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 12:34 AM
HighBeta
Amat Victoria Curam
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by NicD
Let me get this straight... basically you expect something for nothing and on top of that you feel as if you deserve it because you think GM has made enough money. I'm so glad you expect people to work for free, when are you signing up to do your job for free I wonder?
Thank you !

"Idealism is fine, but as you approach reality, the costs become prohibitive".
- William F. Buckley, Jr.

Last edited by HighBeta; 02-22-2018 at 12:49 AM.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:09 AM
DOOKEY
Melting Slicks

Received 133 Likes on 106 Posts

Please stfu.
The following users liked this post:
Satanspawn (02-26-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 10:44 AM
petepd
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SUB VETTE
Am I correct in assuming this upgrade is already installed in 18 and 19 models?
I had it done yesterday on my 2017 Z06. They told me that the '19 has it but the 18's don't.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:13 PM
cheapthrills
Melting Slicks

Received 441 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by petepd
I had it done yesterday on my 2017 Z06. They told me that the '19 has it but the 18's don't.
Rumor has it that some of the late 18's do but really need the dealer to do a VIN check to make sure.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:21 PM
HorsePowerObsessed
Drifting

Received 624 Likes on 384 Posts

Is there any way to verify it has indeed been updated after it is finished? like a version number or something you can check?

Get notified of new replies

To MRC Update - My review

Old 02-22-2018, 04:19 PM
erick_e
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 93 Likes on 71 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by JAYNO20
Is there any way to verify it has indeed been updated after it is finished? like a version number or something you can check?
No guarantee that they reprogrammed the module, but it will show up in TDS as available if you purchased the calibration.

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/

Here is mine.

Last edited by erick_e; 02-22-2018 at 04:20 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by erick_e:
Checkmate1 (02-22-2018), Sk8Man_ (03-15-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 04:59 PM
buckeye4
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by erick_e
No guarantee that they reprogrammed the module, but it will show up in TDS as available if you purchased the calibration.

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/

Here is mine.

Good find, just checked mine (FE2, however) and all OK. I watched my upgrade also.

Last edited by buckeye4; 02-22-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:33 PM
cvwb
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

I had my upgrade done yesterday. Today I drove about 50 miles over familiar streets of all kinds. I may be a heretic or just less observant than most, but I don't feel/sense much of a difference with the new calibration - maybe some increased smoothness in sport. I'm not sure I would say it's worth the cost but I do like to have the car as up to date as possible.

Quick Reply: MRC Update - My review